Glass Harbor! SA2 WIP! Woo!

Dude, this is pretty good.

The intro is really nice. The pad stuff in the back could be a bit better, but it sounds a lot better than your really early WIP. I still think it lacks percussion. The guitar solo at :52 is a keeper. Really nice. After that it's just kinda empty though. The guitar that comes in after that is okay, but could use some work. And whatever that is playing with the guitar gets kinda annoying. You should change it up or turn it down. The ending sounds pretty unorganized. I think it's that snare drum that is screwing it up. Does'nt keep a beat at all...

The main thing is IT NEEDS SOME PERCUSSION. I mean on some parts it's fine without perc., such as the first guitar solo, but I still think it could possibly use some on some parts. Just play around with some snares, hi hats, and stuff. Whatever you want.

I think this is pretty good. It is still a long way from OCR quality, but I think it could get there.

Triple post, and still no feedback? T_T.

I messed around in Fruity Reeverb, made it a bit more fleshed out, and added a few more instruments. The next thing is the ending(I'll get to it, It's not my fault that when mixing tracks my PC goes at the speed of a snail stuch to mollases.) and making that guitar part halfway through longer. Also, I'll need to tone down the volume of the guitar near the end, any tips on that?

I have an ingenious idea for the ending as well- I think I'm going to have the pads go all the way, but at the end have a piano solo to go with it. Any thoughts on this?

The new title is "Glassy Harbor", but I can't edit the thread title ever since the switch to the new boards.

The password is still "glassy", and it probably aint gonna change.

• 1 month later...

In all honesty, it needs super mastering and eq'ing job as it scratches at my ear drums. FL slayer probably is not the best vst plug to use for a guitar, but acually none are as good as a real one. Also It seems like a midi edit job.... If you wanted feedback I hope this does not bother you. 1 / 10

It's...not very interesting >.>. It has no depth and that guitar sounds extremely fake. Think about most rock music: does the lead guitar always just play straight notes? No. There's usually AT LEAST some pitch bends in there. Also the percussion just sounds MIDIish. Try a little reverb on the snare. The ending isn't together at all. Snare and guitar are on totally different beats and when the guitar is done, the snare just sounds incredibly unreal (in a bad way). Definitely needs a ton of work and more musical elements added. As of right now, I'll be nice and give it a 3/10.

it scratches at my ear drums

I second that. And fake guitar makes me want to cry.

I don't hear a kick drum. The kick is the snare's wingman...or the other way around. Whatever the case, it needs that kick. Also, It sounds like the snare goes up and down in pitch; changing the pitch on the snare can be a good technique to break up midi-sequenced choppiness, but it has to be a subtle thing (and used on several notes next to each other, rather than switching the pitch every measure). I can kind of see what you were trying to do with the snare, but it's such a bad sample...it doesn't stand a chance. If you can't find any better samples, then screw with the EQ and try to get a more natural sound.

It may just be these speakers, but I listened to the new version with the reverb and it seemed muddier than the version before it...

I'd say bringing in a kick drum and sequencing the snare to work around the kick would drastically improve the song and break up (if only a little) that one-two-threefourfivesix one-two-threefourfivesix thing you've got going.

This is just ear-piercingly loud. You already got good commentary about the other aspects of it, but here's something to keep in mind in the future: before you post, compare the loudness of your track against other OCRemixes of similar type, the more recent the better (as production techniques have been improving over the life of this site). When yours is so jarringly loud compared to them, something is wrong.

Anyway, I want to point out something not related to the mix...

The more annoying the host you're using for your file is, the less likely people are to listen to it. For example, Rapidshare has been falling out of popularity because of the ridiculous lengths it makes you go through to get a file. Putfile and its sibling sites are also pretty horrid, and they like to crash Firefox anyway. Clicking 20 pages to get to a file? Give me a fucking break. This host you're using is pretty silly as well. I have to input a password and THEN wait some arbitrary period of time so I can download at 20k/sec on cable? Nothx.

I don't know why you guys insist on using annoying hosts like this when Soundclick has been around for ages and is pretty hassle-free. Failing that, there's Googlepages. And members here with their own servers are constantly offering to host files too.

Sorry to rant, I just get so tired of this crap. If you want people to listen, make it easy for them! It's not like you have no alternatives here.

• 1 month later...

For the most part, the main part of the song is very hollow because you need to write more melody.

But I'm loving the intro with the crisp sounding leads and how it fits well with my ears with the supporting synths. I disagree with some of the other comments proposing that the guitar is too loud. While it may be a little high on the foreground and could be pushed back, the synth itself is not a poor choice for creating the atmosphere that you seem to want to give your remix.

This WIP is quite old and if you have any updates of this remix, I'd love to hear it, your piece sounds really exciting.

Yes, I know it's empty, it needs more melody. The original was quite old, and I didn't do much with it. Not enough, anyway.

I was actually just thinking of this mix the other day and this guy shows up and bumps my thread and leaves positive feedback. :P

IT'S A SIGN FROM ABOVE.

I do believe I need to get working on this a bit more in that case, I have some nice new skillz since I made this track and could use them on this track.

Plus I have FL Studio 7 now. :P