OCR00159 - Final Fantasy "Prelude (Refractive Mix)"

m68030

I really love the different parts that the mix goes through. From the soft intro to the sharp drums was a really nice contrast. The soft arpeggios throughout the mix keep the mix grounded. Bam! Suddenly the drum breakdown brings me back up with a well placed boot to the head. And then the mix gets a little bit "dirty", and I really like the juxtaposition (the chugs, or whatever they are - they get powerful @ 4:01). And then with the ending fade out everything comes back together and fits really nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Despite it's age, I've really taken a liking to the arrangement and sound of this one. Kicking it into a different gear after the third minute for a bit was a nice touch that I liked and I love the atmosphere of this entire mix. I honestly never loved the prelude theme itself, but this is a nice step up that I can get behind.

• 1 year later...

Damn, that intro delayed piano is actually quite beautiful. The chip instrument that follows has some weird velocity issues, but it's definitely a comforting addition to the piano. Another 15 old mix and the only thing I really have a huge gripe with are the drums. Even production values aside there definitely could've been a little more variation, hell even turning them down a little would've helped.

The jungle breaks changeup at 2:51 comes as a sudden, but pleasant development. 

It doesn't change a whole lot from there aside from a few more low end synths appearing. The chugging rhythmic one in particular muddies up the mix a tad. But overall, this is great. I'd definitely listen again. :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00159 - Final Fantasy "Prelude (Refractive Mix)"
  • 4 years later...

Now that's a Prelude ReMix and a half... I echo absolutely every praise about this track. For a remix from 2000, this is really, really, REALLY good. The juxtaposition of groovy drums against airy leads like dealyed piano and synths is what sells this remix for me. I didn't expect the transition into jungle/breakbeat part at all, but it works surprisingly well! And those chungs later on are a nice addition too! A track worth checking out, especially considering it's age!