OCR00159 - Final Fantasy "Prelude (Refractive Mix)"

m68030

Final Fantasy 'Prelude (Refractive Mix)'

Soft wind, and a nice echoing piano. This one starts out very promisingly.

We've all heard the Prelude several hundred times. The 'amazing

arpeggio of doom' sneaks in under a cold stabby synth and tries not

to be too terribly obvious at first.. but it is, after all, our melody. A

rock beat comes in to provide some support, shortly followed by a deep

bass line. The drums give us a little break beat work and then the

piano from the intro makes a reapperances with a bit of chuggy guitar

stabs to give some depth. Pretty cool. Very nice use of a simple theme,

without becoming annoying. *cough* pac-man *cough*

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

MAN, THIS TUNE IS SICK! The beginning is mos def the BEST PART. The drums were a little much, but it don't even MATTER after that beginning. About time someone grabbed the ORIGINAL NINTENDO prelude and did something with it. It's Number 3 of all FF preludes I've ever heard.

8O

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

(mouth wide open in awe, while drooling)

When I first heard this song that what my reaction.

It is such a kickass, professional job with only one problem, the drumbeat it's too loud to go along with the rest of the song. But every other aspect is top notch. I especially like how well the prelude mixes with the ambient sounds it's just so perfect, I just wish this aspect was more contant through the song.

Melody= 10/10

Sound FX= 8/10 (would be 10 but that drumbeat let it down)

context(repeditive or not)= 7/10 (you come to notice a lot of reapeated riffs)

orginality= 8/10 (unfortinately this remix has been done many times before but it is the best one)

Overall= 9/10

• 5 months later...

Pasq242, this is an ubelievable arrangement of a classic. Im 21 years old, and remember playing the original FF on my boxy NES as a kid. I LOVE this remix, its a great remix of a great tune, it starts off slow, then the drum beat just knocks you on ur ass. It's amazing, great job, and hope to see more arrangements done by you in the future. WOW, scores a 20 out of 10 8O:D:D:D

• 4 months later...

IMO, this could be the best remix on the site (at least out of all the ones I've heard)! I personally liked the drum solo; it really brought power to the normally calm theme. But hey, maybe I've got no taste in music? Even if that's the case, this is one of the best mixes on the site. 10 (or more) outta 10!!! Every Final Fantasy gamer should definitely hear it at least once!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow, this one has really grown on me. When it comes to music from a game like the Final Fantasy series I'm usually disappointed if the remix is not orchestral, but this really captivated me.

The twinkling piano interlude is priceless and the wind sound effect creates a nice tone and mood instead of coming off as gimmicky. I really dig the inclusion of the beta sounding main riff, which has enough alterations done to it to truly make it this piece's own.

This is probably the most unoffensive song I've ever heard off of this site, as I could find myself listening to this on repeat for hours while working and not be hindered by it. Just great stuff all around. An "A" grade for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Stunningly beautiful intro.

The synth that comes in afterward is a little too loud for the mood setup, at least that soon.

Great drum sound, but I wish the loop was varied up a bit more early on. For being a 1xx era remix this is fantastic though, there are transitions, some creative synths, and a lot of layered percussion. The sections where the piano comes in are where it really takes off for me though. The drum and chugs added to that are extra good, awesome juxtaposition.

Basically this is only rough because of it's age. If this was done nowadays, it'd be the prelude to end all preludes. Even though Mustin's opinions of late have been ridiculous (:<), he's right in that this is one of the top 3 preludes ever.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Would've liked to have heard another mix by this guy! I've had this one for a long time. I think this mix perfectly captures the feeling that I always got from the prelude music. It even makes me tear up slightly when I hear the delayed piano intro again...it brings me back to a time when I used to feel a really emotional response to any video game remixes of a tunes I knew. I kinda take that for granted now.

The only thing I'm not so much a fan of is the drums, they're a bit too bright and happy for this kind of mix I think, but that's relatively minor complaint. This mix probably isn't QUITE as good as I remember it being, but it still holds up very well. The delayed piano is still perfect, it keeps the rest of the mix grounded in the kind of reserved sadness it needs.

• 3 months later...

I personally found the drums to be a little overbearing, and the repeating rhythm of the drums seemed at odds with the song in general. this was a problem I had mainly in the beginning, but i did still notice it. it didn't kill it, and that's my only real complaint. well, that and the fact that, the intro, while nice, seemed at odds with the rest of the song.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00159 - Final Fantasy "Prelude (Refractive Mix)"