SMB3/New SMB Combo WIP (Unnamed)

Random Hero

Bowser's Theme? hummm never thought of that.. It does sound cool. I will see how it works. I started the song in 4/4 time, I might as well finish in it. And thanx for the Squirrel Outta Hell love. I hope to officially release the second version of SOH when VGMIX gets on it's feet again. (It was rejected here, sounds to much like the original, which is kinda true).

Thanx

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to this as we speak. I've got to start off with this: fantastic samples. The tympani and organ sound great so far.

Second, I have to say that at least to 2:30, where I'm at right now, this is a great medley. Ah, and there's the castle theme. You've worked these surprisingly well together. I'll wait a bit before I continue.

(NOW AT 5:30)

Man, this is epic! Great atmospheric transition into this section. I suppose this is the final battle - I remember this from the game. I hear that guitar at around 6:30 - excellent part right here - great style change! I love the guitar stabs in the intense parts. Aaand we wind down for the conclusion.

Okay, to summarize, I really enjoyed this. It's a definite narrative piece - you can almost see Mario venturing through the castle and watch a plotline unfold as he overcomes traps and eventually discovers and battles Bowser. Your transitions between pieces here really impressed me, so I have to commend you for that.

Now if you submit this, I can potentially see where you might be knocked down, and that's that this is somewhat of a medley - you have several songs with their own arrangements all woven together. Very well I might add, but it adds quite a bit on. Personally I like this because I enjoy listening to it, but they may get you for length. I don't see how you can change that at all though because I wouldn't want you to remove any sections.

Lastly if you still plan to add to this I could make a creative suggestion - when the Final Boss melody reprises near the end you could try overlaying parts of the Bowser theme from SMB3 (link to MIDI for reference: http://vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/bowser.mid) - perhaps the bassline or maybe even the melody line could work too if the key was adjusted right. Just an idea, I'm not saying the final portion is lacking - just something that popped into my head while I was listening.

Anyway.

This is epic. And it needs more attention, more attention I say! I hope this winds up on OCR someday soon.

This is fun.

A reminder - to fit OCR's submission standards, you're going to have to trim this file down to 6MB.

http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions#What_format_should_the_submission_be_in.3F

In my opinion, the ending is the strongest part of the piece, while you lost me somewhere in the middle. Perhaps you can find a shorter segue from the beginning to the finish? Also, the bit past 7:44 seems kind of needless... I would have been happy for you to have ended it there.

This is fun.

A reminder - to fit OCR's submission standards, you're going to have to trim this file down to 6MB.

http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions#What_format_should_the_submission_be_in.3F

In my opinion, the ending is the strongest part of the piece, while you lost me somewhere in the middle. Perhaps you can find a shorter segue from the beginning to the finish? Also, the bit past 7:44 seems kind of needless... I would have been happy for you to have ended it there.

Haven't a couple exceptions been made for the longer mixes to avoid low-bitrate?

Well there was the April Fool's mix, but that one was explicitly done to show why mixes shouldn't be so long. I don't know of any others off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone else can fill this in.

As for a name, how about the rediculously great smb medley? I know it isn't a very good name, but that was my impression after listening to it.

As for a name, how about the rediculously great smb medley? I know it isn't a very good name, but that was my impression after listening to it.

Well, the working title is "Plumber's Bane". This may change if I can think of something better. As for the size, This is not the final version, not by a long shot. I'll render the thing smaller for the final version. Thanks for the praise guys!

Ryan

I need to get your opinions on an idea I have for this song. I was thinking that I could make this song into a two movement piece, splitting the song at about the 5:00 mark. The first part can definitly stand on its own and the second part could do so also with a bit more work. This would fix the problem with size and over all length, but still keep it as though the two halfs belong together. I would also release the song as one single intity on a vgmix when they finally get on the go. It's just a thought.

What do you think?

As for the using sounds from many games, In truth I concider this a NewSMB remix with bits from other games thrown in to spice it up. FYI, I have added a bit around the 6:46-6:59 mark that incorperates music from 3 mario games all at the same time. It's gonna be nuts!

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...