ID3v1/ID3v2 Tag Programs

Big0Jack

I'm guessing this has already been asked a million times before, but how to create id3v2 tags? I read up on the site, and it doesn't say crap about actually converting them (at least, on Windows, since whatever that converter was called only non-Windows platforms). I tried to search this forum, but the search function would only let me search for posts by specific members, and that doesn't really help anything.

So, any help, info, or anything would be useful.

You mean you want to convert MP3 files with ID3v1 tags to ID3v2? You can use iTunes to do it. Just select whatever you want to convert, right click, and select convert ID3 tags. You can select what version you want and it'll rewrite them. Just download iTunes for free. I recommend using it to organize your music collection anyways, but I know there's certain people that refuse to use awesome software just to stick it to the man. I hope you're not one of them. :rolleyes: So yeah, anyhow, hope that helps.

Really, that's all? Well...

Eh, while I'm here, what does the Tag Specification FAQ mean by the "exact ReMixID assigned by djpretzel at the time of posting"?

I don't really understand how I can get the ID before the number actually exists...

If a submission actually makes it, djpretzel tags the mix with the relevant ID # when the mix is actually posted on the front page.

• 10 months later...

I often see that people have their music listed in genres that aren't default in many programs (so instead of just being listed as a metal or dnb, the song is listed as both). Anyone know how this is done, and in what program. I usually use audacity with the LAME MP3 encoder, but it only has a limited number of genres.

If someone knows a plugin, that'd be good, but I'm not picky :)

• 2 months later...

I can't remember if I made a thread on this already or not, but I need help finding a good MP3 tagging program that works with Vista and can support all of the "OCR Mp3 tag specifications."

I've tried quit a few programs out there, but either they don't fully work with Vista, they don't allow me to make all of the different labels I need to make, or I have to pay for them. (I may sound like an asshole for saying this, but I REFUSE to pay for such a program.)

Does anybody know a good, compatible, easy to use, and free program out there that can help me out?

Mixers...Judges...DjP...ANYONE!?!?!?

OCR doesn't seem to require the remixer to fill out the ID3 tags anymore, so if it's just for OCR, I guess you don't have to worry. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Really? I didn't know that.

Here's some links that might help you.

#5 in a google search for "ID3 tags".

Here's #2, ID3 homepage.

And #1 was Wikipedia.

I tried MP3 Tag already. Its OK, but I couldn't fill in all of the required information with it. And sometimes the tags would change into unrecognizable characters for no reason.

I also checked the second link already. Most of those programs will not work properly with Vista.

I guess I'll have to wait until my song gets judged, then I'll see what happens.

Tag stuff up to the best of your ability, just to help ID your track when you send it. Reagrdless, we tag everything up once it passes. Don't worry about that.

You do? Then why is it the last time I got them through torrents I noticed a lot of inconsistencies among the files?

You do? Then why is it the last time I got them through torrents I noticed a lot of inconsistencies among the files?

Because we haven't done that since the start of the site, it's only something that's been done since a year or two ago. For recent mixes, the tags are always filled out.

I'd personally prefer to retag everything and release a new torrent so that everything from the past is consistent. Maybe down the line.

Because we haven't done that since the start of the site, it's only something that's been done since a year or two ago. For recent mixes, the tags are always filled out.

I'd personally prefer to retag everything and release a new torrent so that everything from the past is consistant. Maybe down the line.

Make it a project. I'll contribute

What is the possibility of it being listed on one of those online album databases? Is that impossible since OCR 'album' keeps increasing?

• 1 year later...

I'm the kind of person that keeps all my favorite OCR songs on my iPod and listens to them daily. At the current time I've got just shy of a thousand songs from this site in my iTunes library, and I'm having a really hard time managing that many different artists without completely cluttering up my library.

At first, I simply edited the tags of every song I got from this site to have the artist set as "OCRemix" so that all remixes would be neatly categorized on my iPod under one artist. However, as I lurked more on the site and became familiar with certain artists, I felt that it was unfair to the remixers to dissociate them with the music that they'd created. So I've painstakingly retagged all of my MP3s with the proper artist info.

Only problem is, now my library is filled with a million different artists and it's completely clogged up my Artists display on iTunes. I tried typing "OCRemix" in the "Sort Artist" field on each song, which works fine for keeping iTunes organized, but my 3rd generation iPod is now seriously screwed up. Not only does it still display each artist name, but it also displays the artist "OCRemix" 4-dozen times throughout the whole list. In short, my iPod refuses to accept the Sort Artist field and instead decided to massacre everything I've been working on for the last week :(

Surely there must be some way to keep all my OCR songs confined into one place on the Artist search while still being able to maintain and view the name of the actual artist that created the song... right?

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way to do exactly what you wanted.

The best I think you can do is place OCRemix as the artist name and replace the original composer with the ReMixer's name.

Granted, the composer field doesn't display on the iPod while the song is playing but at least you have the info?

You could have ocremix as artist and the artist name as the album (letting you keep all ocremixes under the same artist name and if necessary get to be more specific by selecting a specific artist), but I would recommend leaving the tags alone and making playlists instead. Works for me, and is far less trouble than re-tagging everything all the time.

I'm the kind of person that keeps all my favorite OCR songs on my iPod and listens to them daily. At the current time I've got just shy of a thousand songs from this site in my iTunes library, and I'm having a really hard time managing that many different artists without completely cluttering up my library.

At first, I simply edited the tags of every song I got from this site to have the artist set as "OCRemix" so that all remixes would be neatly categorized on my iPod under one artist. However, as I lurked more on the site and became familiar with certain artists, I felt that it was unfair to the remixers to dissociate them with the music that they'd created. So I've painstakingly retagged all of my MP3s with the proper artist info.

Only problem is, now my library is filled with a million different artists and it's completely clogged up my Artists display on iTunes. I tried typing "OCRemix" in the "Sort Artist" field on each song, which works fine for keeping iTunes organized, but my 3rd generation iPod is now seriously screwed up. Not only does it still display each artist name, but it also displays the artist "OCRemix" 4-dozen times throughout the whole list. In short, my iPod refuses to accept the Sort Artist field and instead decided to massacre everything I've been working on for the last week :(

Surely there must be some way to keep all my OCR songs confined into one place on the Artist search while still being able to maintain and view the name of the actual artist that created the song... right?

you can fix the 50 different versions of OCRemix by selecting them all in itunes and changing their artist names to something else and then back to OCR all at the same time. it's an error i used to get with the first album project from here.

i'd suggest either making a playlist of all ocr songs or keeping the album the way it is (OCRemix). that's how i find all my ocr songs at once.

you can fix the 50 different versions of OCRemix by selecting them all in itunes and changing their artist names to something else and then back to OCR all at the same time. it's an error i used to get with the first album project from here.

The problem is that none of this shows up on iTunes; when I use the Sort Artist field in iTunes everything is neatly bunched up into one Artist. However, when I sync to my iPod, everything goes to hell. Google has led me to believe that it's a problem with using newer tag protocol with older-generation iPods, but I'm not 100% sure since I haven't found anyone else with this problem. I've had that problem before but honestly I don't think this is the same thing :\

The composer idea is one that I attempted and got about halfway through before I realized that it wouldn't carry over to sites like last.fm, which is kind of a big deal to me.

Playlists would work except I want to keep the clutter down on my Artist search because that's what I use 90% of the time to find my music.

I've thought about using the Compilations feature to group everything together, but I'm honestly not sure how that works.