Timbaland rips Commodore 64 tune

makke

Geffon is a member label of the RIAA. The RIAA claims to uphold artist copyrights. If you don't see the hypocrisy here, then I don't know what to tell you.

But the original issue has nothing to do with the RIAA, the original issue is did Timbaland rip off a song. People are then finding whatever tangents they can to associate it to the RIAA to say "look, see how stupid the RIAA is!" The intention of this topic was not to show how similar Timbaland's song was to the other one but to bash the RIAA some more. The issue at hand has nothing to do with the RIAA.

But the original issue has nothing to do with the RIAA, the original issue is did Timbaland rip off a song. People are then finding whatever tangents they can to associate it to the RIAA to say "look, see how stupid the RIAA is!" The intention of this topic was not to show how similar Timbaland's song was to the other one but to bash the RIAA some more. The issue at hand has nothing to do with the RIAA.

It has to do with the RIAA by implication. Not to say that Timbaland isn't a shithead for doing this either, but if the RIAA has any credibility, it would act quickly on this considering the situation involves one of its member labels and an artist under the label.

God damn I'm annoyed. This Timbaland idiot is detroying her. Ridiculous plagarism aside, he's given her a terrible direction. When I first heard Nelly she had a sort of innocense. I remember "I'm like a bird" being a great song, it was fun, well sung and well produced, and I've only just realised what a complete moron he is for bringing her down the r'n'b road.

She's gone from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfKIapgaGEw

Beautiful voice, innocent, really fun to listen.

To this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-dQEhNETE

Singing entire verses on a quater tone about nymphos with an army of the usual "pimps an ho's" in the background. I couldn't care less if thats the kind of crap he wants to produce, but when you take a GOOD, TALENTED singer and turn her into that, it seriously pisses me off.

God damn I'm annoyed. This Timbaland idiot is detroying her. Ridiculous plagarism aside, he's given her a terrible direction. When I first heard Nelly she had a sort of innocense. I remember "I'm like a bird" being a great song, it was fun, well sung and well produced, and I've only just realised what a complete moron he is for bringing her down the r'n'b road.

Singing entire verses on a quater tone about nymphos with an army of the usual "pimps an ho's" in the background. I couldn't care less if thats the kind of crap he wants to produce, but when you take a GOOD, TALENTED singer and turn her into that, it seriously pisses me off.

Haha, finally someone who shares the same opinion as me. I'm not a huge fan of Timbaland or his values but I gotta respect the things he's produced. I remember arguing with some people about how Nelly Furtado sold out as well.

Haha, finally someone who shares the same opinion as me. I'm not a huge fan of Timbaland or his values but I gotta respect the things he's produced. I remember arguing with some people about how Nelly Furtado sold out as well.

I just think it's a terrible shame when this happens. I'm sure hes a great producer at what he does if you like that kind of thing, it just seems like everyone is going down this direction, and it's because of people like him forcing them down the road because they won't get popular otherwise.

She would have been awesome with her old style, and he's ruined her creative side sompletely. Irreversible, unforgivable.

So you're telling me that Timbaland made her start singing this way and she did not decide to do that on her own? Even though the influence was there, only she could decide whether she should go in that direction or not.

Who knows? She might just be trying it out.

So you're telling me that Timbaland made her start singing this way and she did not decide to do that on her own? Even though the influence was there, only she could decide whether she should go in that direction or not.

Considering Timbaland is associated with that type of lifestyle and the fact that her last album (where she "played it safe") sold poorly, it sounds damn close to selling out to me, but then again its all circumstantial, I find it weird that she's doing this now after she had a kid though.

I suppose that could be whats happening, but considering she actually wrote her old stuff with 2 other people, as opposed to just performing songs written for her like she is now, I think it's far more likely its the label and the producers giving her the new direction. I did do a bit of wiki browsing before i posted, the newest album is a completely different production crew.

Sound Forge 7 or 8.

I know them well.

hook a bruddah up

aim me my friend

Also, has anyone here aside from me heard the entire song or just the video? Because I just listened to it, and like I said in my first post, this isn't even a direct rip, the sections taken out were selectively the closest to the original but the Timbaland version has so much added to it. The intro bassline isn't even the same all the way through, the last two bars are different than the original. If this video didn't existed I wouldn't have made the connection.

speaking of tools

Ah, I was waiting for someone to insult me based off of no knowledge aside from the fact that I disagree with them on a point. You know what they say, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but yo momma's so fat she sits AROUND the home." Or something rather.

I think the point he's trying to make here is that just because you modify something does not make it yours in any way, shape or form.

He's just too lazy to type it out.

So all of the remixes on this site do not belong to the respected remixers?

Actually, in many ways that's correct.

The only reason every artist who does fanart(this includes visual as well as musical) isn't sued off the face of the Earth is because companies generally ignore/allow derivative fanworks. But it's still technically copyright infringement IIRC.

Actually, in many ways that's correct.

The only reason every artist who does fanart(this includes visual as well as musical) isn't sued off the face of the Earth is because companies generally ignore/allow derivative fanworks. But it's still technically copyright infringement IIRC.

Thats funny because I remember an incident about a month after Blood on the Asphalt was released where someone posted videos on youtube that just said "Street Fighter Fei Long Stage Remix" (there were some others but I forgot what they were) while playing Zircon's (excellent I might add) Flying Heaven Remix, only the poster of the video didn't say that it was from Blood on the Asphalt or OCRemix, then quite a few people on the forums threw a fit about how he wasn't giving credit where credit was due. The poster on youtube said Street Righter and Fei Long, which were the original tracks, and if the remix isn't technically zircon's then I guess no one would've complained. Considering people pour in as much effort (or even more in some cases) into these remixes as their original compositions, then I would consider them their creation. They were influenced by video game music, yeah, but if it weren't for the Mario Paint intro and outro on Intense Colour I never would've guessed.

Thats funny because I remember an incident about a month after Blood on the Asphalt was released where someone posted videos on youtube that just said "Street Fighter Fei Long Stage Remix" (there were some others but I forgot what they were) while playing Zircon's (excellent I might add) Flying Heaven Remix, only the poster of the video didn't say that it was from Blood on the Asphalt or OCRemix, then quite a few people on the forums threw a fit about how he wasn't giving credit where credit was due. The poster on youtube said Street Righter and Fei Long, which were the original tracks, and if the remix isn't technically zircon's then I guess no one would've complained. Considering people pour in as much effort (or even more in some cases) into these remixes as their original compositions, then I would consider them their creation. They were influenced by video game music, yeah, but if it weren't for the Mario Paint intro and outro on Intense Colour I never would've guessed.

The songs belong to the artists but only insofar as they are derivatives. That is, the CHANGES and whatever new composition and samples used belong to the artist(s) that did them. However, that does NOT mean that the songs completely belong to the artists - in other words, they couldn't say it was theirs and sell the songs. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell the remixes at all, actually.

Giving credit doesn't technically count for a whole lot legally, but it counts a LOT for the artist personally. That is, if you make a derivative work under normal copyright law and you don't give credit, the artist in question is more likely to go after you because you disrespected them. If, however, you gave credit, they will be more likely to ignore your copyright infringement. Companies care less about this stuff, but it's still courteous to your listeners to let them know your sources.

You're the worst listeners in the world. Readers, I guess.

I guess we did go out on a tangent, didn't we?

The songs belong to the artists but only insofar as they are derivatives. That is, the CHANGES and whatever new composition and samples used belong to the artist(s) that did them. However, that does NOT mean that the songs completely belong to the artists - in other words, they couldn't say it was theirs and sell the songs. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell the remixes at all, actually.

It's legal if you get the appropriate license to. For an example, see that Estradasphere Super Mario Bros. 2 remix on this site? That's actually on one of their commercial albums, and they're known as a serious band, outside the context of OCR, if a little known one (I bought their most recent album in an FYE a few weeks ago back in NY).

hey you ignorant dillhole

there a difference between claiming a work of art as your own and making money off of it

the blood on the asphalt problem was just some dude going ya i made these

this asshole is making a profit off of someones work, which brings this to a new level

tool