Sign in to follow this  
makke

Timbaland rips Commodore 64 tune

Wow, pretty awesome coverage there. I really like seeing this kind of stuff get spread all over the internet - getting the truth out. Nice work on the YTMND Gecko, it's quickly becoming the go-to synopsis of the whole debacle.

Yeah, he's a pimp like that.

If by "pimp", we mean "person who parodies", then yes.

Your post just makes it sound like he has some sort of special privilege, when in reality, anyone is protected by fair use as long as they sample for a parody or for historic/editorial purposes.

Sorry, just wanted to clarify.

Not exactly. Fair Use law is NOT all encompassing. It's determined on a case by case basis. Unlike laws about, say, sampling (ALWAYS illegal w/o permission, no matter how unrecognizable or how short) Fair Use is much more nebulous.

I have little to say on the controversy itself that hasn't already been said, but I'll be damned if this song by Tempest isn't catchy. It's been stuck in my head all day. I hope Tempest gets his due from all this exposure, one way or another.

Not exactly. Fair Use law is NOT all encompassing. It's determined on a case by case basis. Unlike laws about, say, sampling (ALWAYS illegal w/o permission, no matter how unrecognizable or how short) Fair Use is much more nebulous.

I understand that, and the worst part is that the case rulings are so huge in number and often contradictory... I'm not a law major, and even if I was, I'm not sure it would make sense to me.

BTW, though, I really like Gecko's YTMND because it gives good evidence that they are the same thing - the C64 version used arpeggios because of technical limitations (correct me if that's not right), and those still exist in the ringtone and "Do It".

Good call Gecko, hope this gets out there.

He's not trolling. As was already said, this is a line spoken by Timbaland in the video linked, followed by "Wow. Just wow." to show his amazement toward the stupidity of this claim. It would have been nice of you guys to actually click the link before resorting to name calling.

Sorry to lecture, but calling someone 'idiot' because you didn't read their post right drives me crazy.

He's not trolling. As was already said, this is a line spoken by Timbaland in the video linked, followed by "Wow. Just wow." to show his amazement toward the stupidity of this claim. It would have been nice of you guys to actually click the link before resorting to name calling.

Sorry to lecture, but calling someone 'idiot' because you didn't read their post right drives me crazy.

kuntitled5qo.jpg

From MTV...

It makes me laugh. The part I don't understand, the dude is trying to act like I went to his house and took it from his computer. I don't know him from a can of paint. I'm 15 years deep. That's how you attack a king? You attack moi? Come on, man. You got to come correct. You the laughing stock. People are like, 'You can't be serious.'

I knew I should've put that in parentheses. Yes, basically Timbaland is saying: "I'm clueless, but who gives a shit about some Finn? I'm fucking Timbaland."

And THAT is the reason to my "Wow, just wow". This is the peak of irony, considering the guy's been extremely sensitive about other guys ripping him off. Before I'd have said Tempest has little chance, but if he's slinging dumb comments like this in court too, well, maybe things aren't so bleak after all.

This is why I can't stand the radio and especially R&B. The rip-offs are getting worse and worse. And if I'm correct, half the time they only rip-off enough of the original to bypass copyright laws (like 10% of the original or whatever).

Crap like S.O.S, Eminem's "Toy Soldiers", whoever recently ripped "Another Day in Paradise", the ripoff of Bobby Vinton's "Mr Lonely", and the list goes on. But the plastics and teeny boppers lap it up like it's some new thing, as someone mentioned earlier.

If any R&B song has a good melody behind it these days, you can pretty much guarantee they ripped it from someone else.

Prizm