Freeware VI: Wrath of Revenge

The Coop

Obvious questions time!

Are you getting an error of some kind? What OS are you on? Are you sure you named each file group exactly the same? Did you put the executables in the compatibility mode? Do your files look like this...

mogurasetup.gif

If everything looks fine, and it still won't play, try downloading it from here, which is where I got it. The other link may have a corrupted version.

• 1 month later...

Time for a bump...

Steel Panthers: World At War!

Up for a little WWII turn-based strategy gaming? Well, this should keep you busy. It seems to be a remake of the first game in the series, using the Steel Panthers III graphics engine. It was made by Matrix Games, who owned the code to the series for a while. It's a big download at 425MB, but it's worth it if you enjoyed the original DOS games. Be sure to grab the patches that were released for it.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank

There's another game for the series, which has battles that take place between 1945 and 2000. With 90 nations in it, there's plenty to play with.

Note: Be sure that once you've downloaded the 100MB main game, install all four patches in their proper order. It's been said that it's important to do this, so don't skip any patches.

Steel Panthers: World War II

Basically, this is pretty much all of WWII. A huge amount of scenarios, 500+ new and revised vehicles... it's gonna take you a while to get through this one.

Note: As before, make sure you download and install all the patches in their proper order.

From some of the things I've read, it sounded like "WWII" might have been a major upgrade to "MBT". I'm not sure though, so in case they are two completely different games, I listed them both.

• 1 month later...

Trackmania Nations

After a long hiatus, Freeware's back!

Anyway, up for a little stunt driving? How about a touch of racing in the stunt driving? How about having some really nice graphics added on top of that, and having a rather option-filled track editor that allows you to build your own freakish tracks? Well, here ya go. This game was given out a freeware last year, and it really is like a strange cross between San Fransisco Rush 2049, and Race Drivin'. Lots of jumps, loops, zig-zaggy turns, and a ghost racer after each lap. You can even upload your scores, and race against others on-line.

This is a really well done game, that only suffers from having no single player race outside of the 100 solo stunt tracks (and whatever you make yourself). Don't forget to grab the update for it.

Spheres of Chaos

Ever wonder what Asteroids would be like if it was made by a Woodstock programmer on a major acid trip while listening to Pink Floyd? Well wonder no more, because here it is. Recently released as freeware, Spheres of Chaos is an electronic mindfuck just waiting for you to enter it. As mentioned, it plays a lot like Asteroids (right down to a Hyperspace button), but with added weapons. The ships are geometric in design, and the effects that are constantly going off are nuts.

So warm up that lava lamp, get out your black light, and give it a whirl.

Spheres of Chaos

Ever wonder what Asteroids would be like if it was made by a Woodstock programmer on a major acid trip while listening to Pink Floyd? Well wonder no more, because here it is. Recently released as freeware, Spheres of Chaos is an electronic mindfuck just waiting for you to enter it. As mentioned, it plays a lot like Asteroids (right down to a Hyperspace button), but with added weapons. The ships are geometric in design, and the effects that are constantly going off are nuts.

So warm up that lava lamp, get out your black light, and give it a whirl.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude this is so trippy. Thanks for finding this, and everyone else for finding all of the other freeware in this thread!

• 4 weeks later...

A bump from the grave with a ported classic...

Another World

More commonly known as Out of this World in the US, this is a GBA port of that classic DOS/Amiga game. It's very faithful, plays well, and despite being in a lower resolution due to the GBA's screen, it still looks a lot like the original. Even the sounds are still there with the cinemas. And, if you have one of those GBA flash carts, you can even load the game into your GBA for play on the go.

And before anyone panics, this version of the game is indeed freeware. Not only that, but the person who made this port worked with Erich Chahi (the original game's creator) to make this port happen.

So grab Visual Boy Advance (or load up your flash carts), and play a PC classic from 1991.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since this thread was updated. Time to fix that.

XOP

So what is XOP? It's a shmup that used to be sold, but the author decided that it was a failure as shareware. So, he made it freeware. The graphics are bright and colorful, there's little flicker or slowdown, and it has a strange mixture of old DOS and Amiga Euroshmup influences in background and ship designs/colorings. Plenty of stages, several modes, and lots of options to tinker with. It's not a bad game at all, and despite how it looks, it was indeed made for new PCs, so it runs in XP without any problems. Oh, and it's got plenty of bullets and enemies to dodge, as it has a few roots in the Manic shmup world too.

• 4 weeks later...

Alcohol 52% Free Edition

That's just how it sounds. I'm sure a lot of people here are familiar with Alcohol 120%, and all the things you can do with that. Well, Alcohol 52% is a virtual drive application made by the same company. However, this is the free version. It allows you to make 6 virtual drives, has no trial period, and it also lets you make copies of your CDs and DVDs to be used in the virtual CD/DVD drives it creates. Needless to say, this is quite handy, as Alcohol has a reputation for being a good CD copier.

Sure, some folks use Alcohol 120% to pirate their stuff, but for those of us who like to back up our hard to find/replace discs so the originals don't get scuffed and scratched, this program is good to have around. And with this free version, it's finally able to be gotten for those of us who are regularly broke.

Lemmings

Remember this old game? Well, there's been a remake of it... more specifically, the Amiga version. Programmed in Blitz, this game features all the original 100 levels, plus the additional Oh no! More Lemmings! levels. A few people have reported loading screen hangs, or memory access violations, but for the most part, it runs fine. It's currently 99% done, with some bug fixing left to do.

So if you like Lemmings, and like 'em free, here ya go.

• 2 months later...

Just found this game recently, so I thought it would be appropriate for a thread resurrection:

Battleships Forever

Top-down view real-time strategy game where the player controls ships of various sizes and armaments to battle through single player and custom game maps. The style kind of reminds me of the battle system from the Master of Orion games, but in real time. You can also create custom ships and missions and share with others. There are quite a few fan created missions and ships available for download in the site's forums.

The complete game isn't available yet as it's currently being remade with a new engine to allow for multiplayer and other features. The single player missions are pretty fun, though, unfortunately, the storyline isn't yet complete.

• 3 months later...

Red Alert 1

After a long hiatus, the freeware thread rises again!

I'm sure some of your remember when EA gave away the original Command & Conquer for free last year. Well, they're at it again... this time, with Command & Conquer: Red Alert. I really don't think I need to explain the game, so just go get it. It's a classic older RTS game that should prove fun for those who've never played it.

• 1 month later...

Coming back again with some releases that folks might not be aware of...

The Suffering

Area 51

Full Spectrum Warrior

All of these games are ad supported (by the Air Force, which fits for the last two), but they're free. Ubisoft isn't involved with this, so hopefully they won't abruptly yank them.

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Another ad supported game that was released a few months back.

Keep in mind, the above four games range from a bit over 1GB, to 2.5GB in size.

Overkill

Iron Seed

Some older DOS games that got released as freeware recently.

Alright, don't know if this has been posted already, but I found this awesome game that feels like a good old platformer. It's called:

Bonesaw

It's a pretty sweet game about a hockey team. It's worth a try, I just can't get past this extra level he has where you go though it to get a power up.

I'm enjoying this, but I do have one gripe. I hate how you have to be standing in front of your enemies to hit them. It's too easy to run up and kick them and then land inside them and you can't hit them from there, and it's a pain in the ass to reposition yourself.

• 2 months later...

Caiman

Right there, is a website full of free homebrew games, both original and remake. It also has a few older PC games that became freeware. It covers pretty much every genre, and it has screenshots of the games. It'll take you a while to dig through everything, but surely you'll find something to tickle your fancy (like Vampire Blaze, which is a rather nice Castlevania clone with a very good soundtrack).