Freeware VI: Wrath of Revenge

The Coop

I'm liking most of Coops picks, good taste have ye.

Just picked up nethack a little while ago, haven't tried it out a whole lot yet, but it looks fun and seems to have a lot of depth (randomly generated levels)

plus, it's ancient so it must be good, ASCII for the win!

Net Hack

nethack.gif

Something similar to NetHack but with (very) slightly more elegant graphics, a smoother spell system, and a (very) slightly more forgiving difficulty was Castle of the Winds, one of the shareware Windows 3.1 greats.

It's available here and if you're interested in old RPG's, it's definitely worth your time. Take either Magic Arrow or Heal as your first spell if you want it easy.

Castle_of_the_Winds.png

Yes, Nethack is good, although I prefer Dungeon Crawl for my randomly generated Rogue-likes. And I'm a heretic who uses to tileset rather than the ASCII version. Surprised this game isn't on this list yet, as it's one of the best. Gotten many MANY hours of gameplay out of DC.

http://crawlj.sourceforge.jp/down_e.html

http://enne.walker.googlepages.com/stonesouptiles

0.4-pan.png

0.4-shoals.png

Something similar to NetHack but with (very) slightly more elegant graphics, a smoother spell system, and a (very) slightly more forgiving difficulty was Castle of the Winds, one of the shareware Windows 3.1 greats.

It's available here and if you're interested in old RPG's, it's definitely worth your time. Take either Magic Arrow or Heal as your first spell if you want it easy.

Castle_of_the_Winds.png

hahaha yes

I loved this game

I WANNA BE THE GUY

Takes you back through the previous generation's era-styled graphics and references (I.E. you have to fight a green Zangief that shoots Hadoukens out of its mouth and blankas out of its crotch). It's also hellishly hard. So hard, in fact, that there is no easy mode (medium is the hardest mode). Arrow keys move, left shift jumps (and double-jumps), and Z shoots. Do you have what it takes to be The Guy?

Unlocker

Ever have those stupid error messages when trying to remove an external USB hard drive or moving/deleting a file that says it's being accessed (even when you know its not)? Use this and you can remove the leftover handles and you can easily move/delete the media.

• 4 weeks later...

Unofficial Salamander 3

For those not familiar with the first two Salamander games, you might know the first one by its US name, LifeForce. As the name suggests, this is an unofficial sequel. Like the games before it, US3 alternates between side view, and top view stages. It's currently at version 1.05, with 1.1 being readied for release. It's pretty good game, but it's not quite as well put together as the official Konami games. Still, it's worth a download, and with 15 stages, it'll keep you busy.

Note: It takes the game a while to start up when you double click the executable (about three minutes, fifteen seconds). I have no idea why, but it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Monster World RPG

Based off of the Wonder Boy/Monster World games, this RPG sets out to capture the feel of those classic games, while giving it a bit more of a... well, RPG flavor. I've not played all the way through it, but it's not bad. And with a fresh patch recently released, it's still being supported.

Oh, and bump.

I WANNA BE THE GUY

Takes you back through the previous generation's era-styled graphics and references (I.E. you have to fight a green Zangief that shoots Hadoukens out of its mouth and blankas out of its crotch). It's also hellishly hard. So hard, in fact, that there is no easy mode (medium is the hardest mode). Arrow keys move, left shift jumps (and double-jumps), and Z shoots. Do you have what it takes to be The Guy?

This game pissed me off. I finally just quit and watched a Let's Play of it...

Wowzers, that one brings back memories. As an aside for anyone interested in this one, its actually based off of the fantasy Sagas of Raymond E. Feist (particularly the Riftwar Saga). If that name still doesn't ring a bell, then take note that this is the author that Christopher Paolinni took most of his inspiration from when writing the Inheritance Saga (although I think Feist does better.)

Ahem, on topic, I've gotta recommand Transcendence. Its a rogue-like/space exploration/combat/trade game, kinda in the style of games like Elite (let's call it Elite Lite). I mostly got into it after playing titles like Escape Velocity and the like and its actually a lot of fun and the GUI is a little more user friendly than other rogue-like titles.

Worth a shot, I'd say

• 1 month later...

http://www.revouninstaller.com/ - revo uninstaller is basically an advanced uninstaller that cleans up the mess left behind by poorly written uninstaller programs. it'll check your registry and file system for bits left over, and it has a bunch of other features for tracking down and eliminating spyware as well.

http://aren.hulubulu.net/ - advanced renamer is the best free batch renaming program available. period. i used this extensively with a project a little while ago that involved over 1400 mp3 files, and it make my life SO much easier. the best part is the undo functionality, which will allow you to undo anything you've done since the program was opened last.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ mp3tag is the best free batch retagging program available. sensing a theme? i used it with the above project, and it is very powerful. supports tagging on everything, too, from common files like mp3 and wma to weird stuff like ape, optimfrog, and wavpack.

http://www.cutepdf.com/ cutepdf saved my butt in college more than once. it allows you to print to a pdf file, which is great for when you go to submit papers or need to print somewhere where they might not have office 2007 or whatever program you use. i'm sure most people have discovered something like this, but it works really well for proofing your papers before printing them.

what about you all? got any cool and useful programs that someone might want to try out?

Bulk Rename Utility , this program does exactly what its name says, and is very handy when you need to rename a number of files, such as images, or (more likely to this site's users) songs in a specific format. Add prefixes, suffixes, remove certain characters, do numbering, it does it all!

It takes a little getting used to, and the UI is pretty much "advanced mode" from the get-go, but it's an awesome time saver and I've really saved a lot of time with it, highly recommended.

I was going to mention Mp3tag as well, excellent program, but prophet beat me to it.

Edit: Just noticed prophet mentioned Advanced Renamer too, I don't know how it compares to BRU but I noticed it seems to have ID3 support which means its probably better for music, may have to check this out for myself.