Freeware VI: Wrath of Revenge

The Coop

Amazing thread. HOWEVER, you guys are missing one of the biggest freeware games out there.

UFO2000

It's X-com. It's multiplayer (LAN/internet support). it's fucking X-com. It's legally free.

Did I mention it's X-com? It's preferable to get this with the original game & TotD on your computer (since it rips the graphics for them if you have it), but it can run on it's own, as well. No mind control, though.

Here's another freeware game that's based off of X-com, and it looks pretty good. I've never been able to play it, since my stupid comp won't take it out of windowed mode and you need fullscreen so you can scroll the maps with the mouse. Meh.

UFOAI

Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because this seems to belong here.

I just dicovered a new free game named Hero Core (

) and played a bit of it. It's kind of a mix of Metroidvania and oldschool bullet hell shmups. So far I like it! It has this weird retro feel to it, even though it doesn't really look like a game from any specific old console. Apparently it was released yesterday.

) and played a bit of it. It's kind of a mix of Metroidvania and oldschool bullet hell shmups. So far I like it! It has this weird retro feel to it, even though it doesn't really look like a game from any specific old console. Apparently it was released yesterday.

Oooh! It's by the guy who did Iji! SCORE!

Pretty awesome. Definitely give it a try if you haven't.

• 5 months later...
Genetos

A little freeware shmup. In essence, you battle your way through the various eras of the shmup world, starting at Space Invaders and going up to... well, you'll see if you get to the end. It's pretty quick (about 15-20 minutes), but it's very creative and fun.

I like it, but I'm interested in getting the other upgrades. But excellent tribute.

this thread still lives?

anyway, i dunno if this has been posted yet, but

Legend of Princess - a short but fantastic zelda satire in the style of 16-bit hack n slash.

also pretty great is Noitu Love by the same dude

oh and while i'm at it, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a gem too (yes the download site is in moon runes but not impossible to figure out)

Edited by suzumebachi

• 10 months later...

Night Slashers X

Back in 1993, Data East released Night Slashers in the arcades. It was basically a Final Fight/Streets of Rage beat'em up, but with a twist. You chose one of three characters, and beat the shit out of zombies, some werewolves and such. Well, BonusJZ decided to do a port of sorts with OpenBoR.

More gore, tweaked gameplay, extra animations... all sorts of extra touches to beef the game up. It's a well done conversion, and one not to miss out on if you're a zombie fan.

Note: As it loads, it'll stop about halfway along. Let it sit, and it'll finish loading in another minute or so.

Edited by The Coop

• 1 year later...

About time this thread got bumped? Here's a brilliant, compact 2-4 deathmatch game, in a 90s retro/arcade style: Toxic Takedown.

It's a simple run-and-shoot kind of an affair, but the controls are tight, the (only) level is well designed and the point-collecting system has a nice twist. You don't get a point just by killing your opponent, you need to catch a bouncing star the death spawns. I often fall into acid while trying (and the other guy collects their own star). You do need a friend at hand to play on the same computer, but then again that's about the best kind of gaming.

--Eino