input, output, 1/4 inch adaptors, line in, mic in, headphone to line in WHAT

shpladoink

I am looking for the best way to get a clean signal from my guitar amp to my computer. Unfortunately, the only method of output (other than its own speaker) is a headphone out. Would it be ill-advised to plug an adaptor from the headphone jack to the line-in on my computer?

Also, while I am inquiring about audio, is there any kind of software that can increase the sensitivity of the mic on my computer? When I use the same mic on my win2000 machine, it picks up a lot more sound than when plugged into either of the XP computers I have used it on. I have "microphone boost" checked, and the recording volume is all the way up. This confuses me. On all machines, the sound card was integrated with the mobo, though I don't remember the specifics of each. Could purchasing a separate sound card possibly fix this issue?

Thankies ^___^

You could try getting one of those Line6 PODs, though I don't know which ones [ask Taucer or somebody else who plays guitar] are the best. Since you already have a guitar amp, you could try micing it. Of course, then you'd need a SM57 and a preamp, which is probably going to cost you $200. But then again, a PODxt probably costs $300.