Annoying TV-out problems

Orange Pylon

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition and Vista Ultimate, and it's the same problem with both. I like having my old 27-inch TV attached to my computer in clone mode with my 17" Dell CRT. The problem is, whenever I turn clone mode on, the resolution and refresh rate of my monitor is restricted to 1024x768 at 60hz (I like to keep it at 1152x864 at 75).

My card is a Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro. On XP MCE I'm using the unofficial Omega drivers combined with ATI Tray Tools, and on Vista I'm using the official Catalyst driver set. The problem occurs in both.

Now, before I did the last format + repartition, it was set up perfectly on XP MCE with the omega drivers. It would let me use whatever resolution I wanted on my main monitor, and the output on the TV would still show it. When I used resolutions higher than 1024x768, the image on the screen would scroll around depending on where my mouse cursor was, which was cool. And when I wanted to use the media center or play on an emulator (which I like doing through the TV), it would allow me to switch to 720x480, it would work just fine, then I'd go back to my preferred resolution with no trouble whatsoever.

After I formatted, though, I could never get it to do that again. Instead it will restrict me to 1024x768 and each time I want to use the TV I have to load Catalyst Control center (which takes way longer than it should, btw) and manually enable and disable the TV, set the resolutions, etc.

This probably isn't important, but I'll mention anyway: the monitor is connected through VGA and the TV is using an S-video to composite adapter.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'll elaborate on any details you need.