WCT - The Writing Competition Thread [September Round]

G_D

Congratulations, guys, and thanks for the criticisms, Zeality. I really didn't spend much time on my story- Kinda rushed it out which I shouldn't have done... And, no, it had neither a theme nor a point. I'll spend more time on the next one.

I don't know about splitting the competitions up. We don't get many entries as it is, and if we split them apart each compo would only concern 3 or 4 people at most. But, I could be wrong. Just do what seems best.

Well, I think the problem for some people (myself included) is that there isn't enough time to enter more than one category at a time. This would help that.

I would propose doing a competition every two months (i.e. 2 comps per category per year).

Also, here are the sig badges for the winners. Thanks to Manic Cinq for making these!

wwcstarryfj9.png

wwcleonkii8.png

wwcwackydq1.png

wwcomtba2rz3.png

If you split them up, it could be feasible to do one a month (which would be equivalent to the current amount of combined competitions). I think Barnsalot's concern is valid, but this is my selfish recommendation because that's about the rate at which I write things anyway, so it would be a more plausible schedule in that regard. Plus, having such frequent activity could help to generate energy for the competition. But if it's only going to be semimonthly, then there's little value in doing it; we might as well do the seasonal thing.

Well, I think the problem for some people (myself included) is that there isn't enough time to enter more than one category at a time. This would help that.

I would propose doing a competition every two months (i.e. 2 comps per category per year).

Also, here are the sig badges for the winners. Thanks to Manic Cinq for making these!

wwcstarryfj9.png

wwcleonkii8.png

wwcwackydq1.png

wwcomtba2rz3.png

Thanks. These are pretty cool.

A monthly competition would likely break down into 2 weeks for writing and 1 week for voting.

I don't believe there is any chance we could sustain that. We have yet to see a !00% turnout for voting, even when given three weeks. Not to mention what happens when those two weeks for writing fall at critical times (aka exams, holidays, etc). I just don't see how we could keep up with a comp every month.

We can try if you really want.

A monthly competition would likely break down into 2 weeks for writing and 1 week for voting.

I don't believe there is any chance we could sustain that. We have yet to see a !00% turnout for voting, even when given three weeks. Not to mention what happens when those two weeks for writing fall at critical times (aka exams, holidays, etc). I just don't see how we could keep up with a comp every month.

We can try if you really want.

I think a competition every month and a half to two months would be more realistic. We would get better turnout and better quality, as people would have more time to polish their entry. As a side note, how well did my poem do it the voting? If you don't feel like posting it you could just pm me, but I'm curious to find out, since I actually thought my poem was stronger. Of course, my poem didn't place and my short story took second, so what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...

The March Short Story Competition will be starting Thursday morning. I added the start and end times of everything to the first page. This competition will be only short story entries, as I have decided to do competitions more often and focused on a single writing style. There will be six competitions each year now, starting on the first day of every other month. Hopefully this suits everyone well.

If someone would be so kind as to make new advertisement sigs for this competition, I'd appreciate it. Some generic competition sigs would be nice, too, so we don't have to make new ones for every competition.

If you have comments on the new competition style, please feel free to make them here. Happy writing!

EDIT:

I WILL BE CLEARING THE SUBMISSION POSTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD!

Please save any unlinked work (linked work has been stored in The Writer's Thread)

EDIT 2: I modified the first post to reflect the changes that have been made in the rules and format of this competition. It shouldn't really be a noticeable change, though, other than only having one submission per contest instead of three.

I'm going to try to enter this one; it just so happens that my Spring Break is starting on March 3rd. However, as I've already mentioned, I'm going to try to get the next chapter in my story done first. That'll leave me about a week to write something for this...

I'll wait to see what the future brings...

That's true. My school year runs a lot differently, so I don't think about what time period it is for others. Though, spring break should hit in the middle of submissions, so maybe that'll give people a chance.

Spring Break is in the middle of submissions for me (next week, specifically), but as far as I'm aware, most people have Spring Break two weeks later (as in the week after the submission period ends). I could be wrong, though. There are schools that have break next week and the week after, placing them in the submission period, but I think they are in the minority.

Oh well. At least having the competitions more often will give more people a chance to enter, as there are more chances for them to have free time to write something. :smile:

would it help if I extended the submission stage? I could add up to two weeks, since the competition has a month of wiggle room.

One to two weeks would definitely improve my chances of entering considerably. As it turns out, I have twice as much work to do over Spring Break (this week) than I originally thought, and I also just found out about two tests I have that are next week. I have a workable short story for the competition in my head, I just don't have the time between now and the current deadline to crank it out.

Extending the deadline is your decision, however. Don't feel you have to just because I'm having unexpected issues.

(Side Note: The sheer amount of work I have right now prevents me from even starting Chapter 9 this week... blargh. Maybe after next week...)