18TH KORTHOS JAM | RATCHET AND CLANK R-MIX

• 1 month later...

Not sure if the source tune is ineligible for OC ReMix due to being a licensed track not written for the game; would be a shame if so.

Super classy source tune, so let's see what's up with this treatment. Breakbeats! Interesting giving the brass a more muted sound and leaning more on the breakbeats and piano, but everything's balanced well, IMO, so none of that observation's a complaint.

Interesting to build around just one or two melodic segments, but there's enough textural dynamics to retain my interest. I can see some saying 5 minutes is too long and that it should change up more or explore other areas of the theme. To me, this could use some further variations, however, the interpretation of the theme's already substantive enough. Cool approach, and always love to hear the Rukunetsu spices in play!

I really like the song and the mix.  The only critique I'd have (which isn't much) is that there is a midrange where the frequencies are just a little low or there isn't a lot of instrumentation (maybe over-filtered bass and percussion to give room for synths?)  It's just slightly noticeable but not huge.  I think overall your dnb music is fabulous and I really hope you do more vgm remixes.  We need more dnb imo and you have a really good knack for it.

image.png.1b07accfce2431ab7271d8835d1e0a6a.png

On 4/18/2024 at 9:32 PM, pixelseph said:

Hi Rukunetsu!

Gonna drop the source of the track here for reference later.

This is some slick D&B on this track! The vibe is on lock right from the get-go and every shift just maintains it. The pitch bends on the source melody are a great touch.

Thanks a ton for that @pixelseph - I normally have the source in the description of the video, but I'll start putting them directly here.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:37 PM, Vylent said:

I like this one a lot! It reminds me of the classic jungle d&b tracks that you don't hear too much in videogame OSTs anymore. I've really no critiques, it's a good jam!

@Vylent Really happy to hear that m'friend - glad you enjoyed the mix!

On 4/18/2024 at 9:37 PM, Liontamer said:

Not sure if the source tune is ineligible for OC ReMix due to being a licensed track not written for the game; would be a shame if so.

Super classy source tune, so let's see what's up with this treatment. Breakbeats! Interesting giving the brass a more muted sound and leaning more on the breakbeats and piano, but everything's balanced well, IMO, so none of that observation's a complaint.

Interesting to build around just one or two melodic segments, but there's enough textural dynamics to retain my interest. I can see some saying 5 minutes is too long and that it should change up more or explore other areas of the theme. To me, this could use some further variations, however, the interpretation of the theme's already substantive enough. Cool approach, and always love to hear the Rukunetsu spices in play!

@Liontamer Always great hearing from you LT - and I figured due to the nature of the source, it won't be suitable for submission (or the more repetitive nature of it) but I'm glad you enjoyed it all the same!

On 4/18/2024 at 9:41 PM, The Vodoú Queen said:

Really hoping this one is eligible for OCR. Loving the Jungle/Breakbeat vibes, and it worked so well with the source material. ♥ Keep up the good work, and good luck on it getting through if you decide to submit it. :D

@The Vodoú Queen Many thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed the mix and thanks for checking it out.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:49 PM, paradiddlesjosh said:

This mix is such a jam. Production-wise, I want some more low-mids in the bass, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker. I'll join the chorus of folks hoping this is OCR-worthy; that said, I think the source is a licensed track from outside the game.

@paradiddlesjoshThanks for checking it out, as well as the critique! I was definitely having a little more trouble mixing this track than I'd like to admit, but I'll keep this in mind for future mixes : )

On 4/18/2024 at 10:18 PM, Xaleph said:

I really like the song and the mix.  The only critique I'd have (which isn't much) is that there is a midrange where the frequencies are just a little low or there isn't a lot of instrumentation (maybe over-filtered bass and percussion to give room for synths?)  It's just slightly noticeable but not huge.  I think overall your dnb music is fabulous and I really hope you do more vgm remixes.  We need more dnb imo and you have a really good knack for it.

image.png.1b07accfce2431ab7271d8835d1e0a6a.png

@Xaleph Great insight as always - I was having a bit more trouble mixing/mastering the track than I'd like to admit but I'll definitely pay more attention to these ranges moving forward.