Secret of Mana - Wrath of Thanatos: Death

dannthr

Hey this is my first WIP posting ot OCR.

This is in response to a request for a Thanatos themed remix. The final work will feature the three Thanatos related tracks:

Thanatos Revealed "The Curse"

Battle with Thanatos "The Oracle"

Thanatos Defeated "A Conclusion"

as well as the main SoM theme in part.

A quote from wikipedia about Thanatos: "In Greek mythology, Thanatos (θάνατος, "death") was the personification of death (Roman equivalent: Mors), and a minor figure in Greek mythology."

I'm trying to keep this in mind as I imagine this parallel naming-theme playing into the story line in the game itself.

What I have done so far:

http://www.dannthr.com/music/tests/thanatos_sketch.mp3

I imagine Thanatos revealing himself from Dyluck's corpse and transforming into the Dark Lich, what I have so far is what preceeds the actual battle music but is technically the first two Thanatos themes on my list.

Feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

At the moment I'm not sure how long I want my sections, I'd rather have extra than less for the time being. The opening 35 seconds is supposed to be my interpretation of the first track on my list:

Thanatos Revealed "The Curse"

http://secretofmana.planets.gamespy.com/mp3/som36_-_the_curse.mp3

I tried to have an orchestral mock breath between the low, low bass drum and a scraped cymbal.

The waterphone was my interpretation of the mana beast/whale voice thingy.

The strings sounding synthy were, I think, due to the fact that I way over-compressed the file.

Here's a new WIP version, of course still in the alpha phases:

http://dannthr.com/music/tests/thanatos_wip.mp3

Again, feedback is appreciated and thanks for listening.

• 2 weeks later...

All I could think during the introduction was, "Nice professional movie soundtrack rip. Can't wait until the theme kicks in and it goes all downhill." Then I heard the strings, and immediately inferred that I was wrong about it being a rip, since those sound professional enough as well. Wait, maybe the beginning is a rip. I don't know. If it isn't, that must have taken some crazy sample maneuvering.

With flattery aside, hopefully this doesn't turn out too dull due to it being orchestrated. Even if it does, I believe it will be a very interesting experience nevertheless. But it really sounds like it will have a lot of variation already.

The intro is a tad too long. It's a really interesting sound and concept, but it really does go on for a little too long. This better be the best damn mix ever. No one's ever done these themes justice.

Thanks guys.

I'm definitely looking to hyphenate the beginning. I've been having a bit of difficulty trying to squeeze more musical content out of the original themes and I'm probably going to look it over a bit again.

The problem is that at the moment my Guild is having a big annual student/apprentice music composition contest and I'm probably going to put this on hold until after Feb 11th. :(

As for the samples, no they're not rips. I'm using EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Choir.

I really would like to do these tracks justice.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope you finish this as well, this is a song I've been hoping to have remade for years now and you seem like you're well on your way to a spectacular edition of it.

Mind you... it's clearly been a while since any updates have been made so, I hope this hasn't been forgotten =0.