Is it really video game music?

Thin Crust

It has come to my attention that many remixes are based off of songs that were not actually made for the game. Examples from final fantasy include FF8: Eyes on me, and FF9: Melodies of Life. Those two songs were not made for the games, so can we really say that the corresponding remixes are really video game music?

I am not 100% sure about those 2 songs but I know that there are many more that fit into this catagory.

Like I said, I wasn't 100%. But that does not discount the other games that have this music.

Again I am confronted by your obnoxious habit of not giving specific examples of what you are referring to.

If Eyes on Me and Melodies of Life (also composed by Uematsu) aren't what you mean, then point us at specific examples of what you're talking about.

Again I am confronted by your obnoxious habit of not giving specific examples of what you are referring to.

If Eyes on Me and Melodies of Life (also composed by Uematsu) aren't what you mean, then point us at specific examples of what you're talking about.

I don't know. It is just a thought I had. You don't need specific examples to discuss in this thread. And I will be very, VERY suprised if Uematsu composed Real Emotion(FF10-2) But not so much 1000 words(also FFx-2).

But back on topic here. Are songs not writtan specifically for the game considered video game music and if not, should they be allowed on the site as a remix?

Maybe he means something akin to, say, the OST of the SSX games. The videogame music in those games is really radio music (I don't know what else to call it), so mixing those isn't really mixing videogame music.

Of course, my example is an extreme case. Maybe Thin Crust meant something less blatantly obvious?

I don't know of any specific examples. Can we get on to the discussion without them please? Like I said, they are not needed at this point. I don't know the answer because if I did, I would not have made this thread.

You fail to understand. You made this thread claiming as fact that many ReMixes are based off of non-original songs from games. This is a very controversial and inherently false claim, and you have no support. What reason do we have to give any credence to your so-called discussion when it is brought about with such sloppy debate?

You fail to understand. You made this thread claiming as fact that many ReMixes are based off of non-original songs from games. This is a very controversial and inherently false claim, and you have no support. What reason do we have to give any credence to your so-called discussion when it is brought about with such sloppy debate?

Ok, you got me there. Lets just change this thread into a discussion that will debate if a remix is submitted based on a song not made for the sole porpose of the game, should be passed and be made available for public viewing.

Wanted to chime in on this locked gold, because non one actually responsible for evalutaing music has commented.

Just because a song ALSO has an arrangement done by a J-Pop singer on the official/original soundtrack DOESN'T mean that that track is invalid for arrangement. Any track originally created for use in a video game is eligible material for arrangement at OCR.

By extension a rearrangement of a previous arrangement of material originally

written for a game is also fine.

If someone wanted to base an arrangement off of Rikku's "1000 Words", that's perfectly fine, because the material that track is based off of is music created for a game. (example: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01164/ - based off of The Black Mages arrangement of "J-E-N-O-V-A"). This rule also allows someone to arrange a previously made ReMix.

While Thin Crust's example of "Melodies of Life" and "Eyes on Me" were wrong, he inadvertantly raises some valid questions. The Doom series and GoldenEye 007 have some tracks that were based off mainstream music, but we've decided not to remove already posted that arranged material like that, since those arrangements were made by the artists and taken by the site both in good faith, but we've been tighter on evaluating stuff like that since then. By panel consensus, BTW, Tetris has been allowed despite being traditional music.

Overall though, when the situations aren't ambigious, we emphatically do not allow arrangements of music not originally created for a game, and that's stated as such in the Submissions Standards and Guidelines.