OCR00166 - Super Ghouls'n Ghosts "Ice Mountain Symphony"

m68030

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts 'Ice Mountain Symphony'

Mythical sounding strings and flutes start out this light hearted cover

of the Ice Mountain theme. I rather enjoy the ethereal quality of the

instruments and theme. They fit together very well. A shame this one

is so short, but you can only get so much of a good thing.

Much love for McVaffe and his classical arrangements of some great songs! Songs like this and "Cutman Sonata" from Mega Man really make me wish people did more of this kind of stuff.

If I were more musically educated, perhaps I could point out what differentiates this from, say, Dale North. I think North's music is more "lush," where as this is more, ummm, lonely and ethereal, to steal pollard's wordage. It's a yin-and-yang balance. And McVaffe knows damn well how to RePrAzEnT his side.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice and melodic piece...good game too! This is the type of game that not many people know about, yet is an amazing game...and this piece completely reminds me of the game. Sets a good scene...in this piece I'm thinking the very first level, going to the castle. :)

• 6 months later...

Very nice mix, fitting to the theme of the level even moreso than the original did. Kudos on it.

Now onto other matters.

I HATE THE BOSS OF THIS LEVEL.

And im starting to get sick of hearing the song over and over again, so this remix is a welcome refreshing breath of air while I try to get back across the level to fight that stupid stupid ice monster thingy.

See, its on "Professional" and..Its kicking my ass.

^_^

Anyway. As I said. Wonderful mix. Adieu.

-Doug

• 4 months later...

Fantastic! Must be the best thing I've ever herd! I downloaded it today and listened to it about 10 times or more. It sounds very realistic, believe me, I play the flute and oboe, they're fantastic. Good job, I would rate it a perfect 10 compared to most of the songs here. The game was very good too, plus that was my favorite song in the game. I'm glad I found this. Hope to hear a lot more.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This song just beauitful. The original was pretty, but McVaffe added the magic touch! Love your work man keep it up! Glad to see some G'nG mixes out there.

This one inspired me to make a relaxing playlist of soft video game music to put me into dreamland. :sleepzzz:

-GreenImp

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice panning on the harp, it really holds the mix together throughout. The oboe and flute are both pretty good as well, and Combined with the pizzicato and harp really do give it a fresh, arctic sound. With the source i'd expect something a bit spookier, but this is really pristine. I can imagine some slow camera pans over some snowcapped peaks listening to this. :-)

The ending is a bit abrupt, but it doesn't really detract from the mix overall.

Recommended and overlooked.

• 2 years later...

This has been a lucky night so far for reviews, I've found all good tracks that I'd easily listen to again. The sounds on this are deceptively good for the age of the mix. The 'ice' feeling is brought through well with the harp, flute, strings, and oboe. What I like most is the tension you feel through this despite having a 'first snow on the ground' sound to it. Cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I listen to this I feel like I'm walking through some ice cave and looking at all the relfections and refractions of myself; the main flute feels like the wind blowing through the ice cave. It feels like the theme of some ice dungeon but after the demonic taint has been clensed and all there's left to do is leave.

While it does commit a minor infraction of being somewhat repetitive, it has enough dynamic to make it very fun to listen to and provides a wonderfully vivid atmosphere. Truly though, my main complaint is that it's too short! T_T

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

It sets the tone of an icy atmosphere pretty well, and for it's age, it doesn't sound bad at all. It does have a bit of a repetition to it and ends suddenly, but other than that, this is a nice treat from an age that doesn't see a whole lot of them. Very nice.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00166 - Super Ghouls'n Ghosts "Ice Mountain Symphony"