new mixer/preamp

Hey guys. I've been using an m-audio firewire solo

http://www.oulunsoitinjatarvike.fi/kauppa/kuvat/atk/m-audio/firewire_solo.jpg

for quite a while now, and, since I have nothing else to compare it with, I have had no gripes with it. Until now. Basically, I record classical guitar with a single mic right now (I run through the preamp and then into Audacity software with firewire cable), but I want to put my other mics to use as well. I'd love to try out stereo miking.

Thus, I need a mixer with at least 2 XLR inputs (+ the 1/4" inputs) with phantom power on both. I would also need stereo outputs. I guess this leads to another quick question: can I stick in the two left/right cables into those "1/4in. unbalanced line inputs" on the back of the m-audio preamp and expect to see two separate tracks on Audacity? Heh, I'm pretty new to all of this; I'm pretty sure it would work, but just to be sure :P

Also, I'll be using a laptop in conjunction with all of this equipment (bah that brings me to another question. Will using a firewire-adaptor expresscard to connect the m-audio preamp hurt the sound quality at all?). Mmhmm, so the mixer shouldn't be a ginormous monstrosity.

So, you guys got any recommendations? or even tips would be nice.

Well aside from the connector, if you can use a direct line audio cable instead of a usb or firewall type thing I recommend a eurotrack ub802 It has 2 xlr 3 band eq on every channel 2 unbalanced inputs as well as faders and head phone,monitor and mixer out and phantom power. I've been using it for a while It's not expensive and has great sound. if you click on my banner and check out my tracks specifically ozibuth I used it in conjunction at the time with a 300 mghz laptop to record the entire track with.

you should be impressed with those results, out of a very cost effective home recording mixer