OCR01544 - Sonic & Knuckles "iMushroom"

djpretzel

Gamebox just doesn't quit, does he?

This is as always amazing funk. It's all there - the solo, the changes, the refined mastery. When you think you've got a handle on it, it applies some lotion and slips from your grasp in the most delightful way.

Top drawer stuff. Which is all the man seems able to do. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Binster

Ah, it's on OCR! This is a great submission from the project because of how unique it is - and I love it. It's an excellent style that's very catchy, and GaMeBoX has woven the main melody lines really well together along with original material and solid solos.

As the artist wrote, I was one of the ones who listened to this track since it was a WIP, and I'm glad his talent has fleshed it out even further to the solid, catchy piece that it is.

I really like the break at 1'03 - it really switches things up and catches you by surprise. The classic sonic sound effect later on kind of "brings you back", so to speak.

Anyway, recommended. Go download it.

I loved this mix on the project, and I love it still! I really enjoy your style, it's very unique and oozes with fun and creativity.

It's smooth and light enough to groove to at a comfortable pace, yet it's got enough delicious explosions of raw awesome to really make you smile :).

I'm totally going to save this to my hard-drive and groove to it some more :-P.

Jredd-

I wish there was some developed samples in this...but maybe not. Def a unique song, as a lover of video game music I cannot shun away from this at all. The creative flow and ideas are awesome. Kudos on all the ideas, and also trying to take a chance with the whole feel and vibe of this one. I forgot which judge said it, but wow I wish vg music sounded this good back in the day.

• 4 weeks later...
One thing though, 1:00 to like 1:40 the base line reminds me of Eminem - My Fault, which made me chuckle a bit considering what that's about.

Congrats! you found an easter-egg.. (atleast its mushroom themed also) hehe, there are more eastereggs in this song actually. Good luck on the search :) also thank you everybody for the cool feedback :)

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Congrats! you found an easter-egg.. (atleast its mushroom themed also) hehe, there are more eastereggs in this song actually. Good luck on the search :) also thank you everybody for the cool feedback :)

Like how the bassline bursts into Launch Base at 1:40? I'm very impressed you got that you got that to blend so seamlessly.

Edit: Holy smokes, does that mean Knuckles Sonic 3 theme used the Launch Base beat the whole time?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My main drawback are the drums, which really could have been a little better implemented. Besides that, I'm all over this. Relaxing, a wide variety of different instruments used and enough changes of sound that I'm never not interested in listening, and the freestyle synth parts go very well with how you put the source tune in here. The gated swells in the middle are euphoric, as is most of this song. A great take on the source and cool how you took the word Mushroom and applied it to all areas, even if the listener isn't on the stuff.

Just have to point out that your use of portamento here was great, and that's something that I have a big soft-spot for.

• 1 year later...

I love how the source tune is recognizable right from the beginning. The low-fi funk really gets things started and the transition after the first minute was great. I really enjoyed those easter eggs you tossed in there, like Knuckle's theme and such, up past the first few minutes and through the middle. Good use of creativity and very good arrangement.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01544 - Sonic & Knuckles "iMushroom"