OCR00623 - Chrono Cross "Dubbing the Body"

orkybash

Chrono Cross 'Dubbing the Body'

Though I'm not a huge fan of the genre, I enjoyed this remix a lot. Great guitar solo - the Chef really knows how to play! The harmonica was good too, but sounded a bit strained for my tastes. But maybe that's just part of Dub. Highlight, as djp pointed out, was when the guitar started playing along with the harmonica. All in all, I would definitely recommend this.

• 2 months later...

The chef has cooked up yet-another-masterpiece for us here at OCR. With a good emo-genre in its side, this mix doesnt surpass the all-too-good Just chill, but remains very interesting. The chef cooked us a great dish here.

The little echoing drums could have been ignored in my idea, but the emotion on this song can very well change a mood in the blink of an eye.

A dish best served cold maybe ?

• 2 weeks later...

What the heck was that? Whatever it was, I liked it. I like the Chrono Cross stuff. I'm not quite sure what the style of this piece would be called, though. It's too country for jazz, and too jazz for country.

Overall, the slow feel of the melody is retained from the original. The progression of instruments used is an alluring quality of this piece, beginning from a lonely acoustic solo (nice work on that, by the way), then going to a harmonica solo as the drums cut in with a jazz-like beat. Without raising the tempo at all, the Pancake Chef manages to bring the piece to a climax by blending the emulated harmonica with his own guitar track. Finally, he lands the piece nicely, using a carbon copy of his opening solo to slow the music to a stop.

Thanks to the Pancake Chef, an improved rendition of the music that set the somewhat sad and solitary mood for Serge's journey to another world is available to all of us. If you like slow mood music, this remix is a must.

Pancake Chef, if you're reading this, I wat to know a few things. First, what exactly do you call this style? And second, what's the next piece you will be remixing in this style? Scars Left by Time or Unstolen Jewel might be good choices.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Very nice. Very nice. While it's not as outright awesome as 'Just Chill' is, 'Dubbing the Body' is still wonderful. I didn't think I'd like the harmonica sound at first, but once I listened to the song, I grew to like it quite a bit. I agree that it could be considered almost depressing but, hey, so can a lot of excellent music.

10/10

• 11 months later...

When reviewing this song, I kept on typing statements, and deleting them. I had listed to the song for the first time, realizing it was a mix of one of what I recognized to be... the greatest songs of all time. I had considered starting to try to make a mix of this song myself, trying to give it a different feel, but I ended with the conclusion that nothing would work. I was wrong.

The first time I heard this mix it bored me.. I decided to write a review of this mix, because the original was so great.. I thought this song to be an insult to that song. But, I kept on playing the song while I was writing statements, and I had to change them constantly. I originally did not like the song... for some reason. It began to grow on me. It has taken me about an hour to get to this point.. and I'm not a slow typer.

It's kind of like.. the original.. I wasn't terribly fond of it the first time I heard it... I thought it sounded to sweet... now it has the highest play count of any song in my library.

I'm very surprised there are so few comments for Dubbing the Body. It really is a good (maybe even great) song...

8/10 (for now. the song is still kind of growing on me.. it may yet raise higher)

• 4 months later...

The Chef never fails to please, and this piece is no exception. Seriously one of my absolute favorites regarding Chrono Cross, the guitar and harmonica sound amazing in this piece, and coupled with an echoing percussion make for a phenomenal piece. The overall feel, especially when the strings come in, is amazing. One of the most emotional, yet not overly complex, pieces I have ever heard.

I strongly recommend this one.

• 8 months later...

Not really sure what's going on here... It's kinda country and jazz and just plain weird... Not a huge fan; there's just no balance between the instruments. And the emotion is lost. Those tend to be my two biggest complains about remixes, don't they? The guitar at the beginning is fantastic; stick with that next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The guitar intro itself was great, and had a good vibe, but when the beat came in, I found the track to lose all momentum, and start to drag. I think the offender was that snare it was pushed way back, which is fine, but it was filtered in a way to still have a ton of bite. It didn't fit the soundscape believably, and I think the track suffered because of it.

The guitar playing was great, the harmonica line was ok, and the drums I could have done without.

• 9 months later...

i dig this track especially the fact that i love the orignal version, the harmonica was an interesting choice, and i have to say it seem to fit well into this concept. my only problem was that the drums could've had a little more OmpHHH to it. other that that good stuff, 8 out of 10

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00623 - Chrono Cross "Dubbing the Body"