The real consequences of blurring video games and real life..

Steben

Whenever a friend of mine says he/she isn't feeling "too good," I constantly warn them that it could be G.U.I.L.T.(Gangliated Utrophin Immuno Latency Toxin) and that they should get a chiral reading.

lol, when I watch Scrubs or something of that sort with friends, during the dramatic part like when someone's vitals are dropping I like to yell out "I WILL SAVE THIS PATIENT!" Another friend will often like to yell out "DOCTOR!" or "DON'T DO THAT!" Ah, Trauma Center, you make everything so much more fun.

Man, I'm treating my current job search like it was something from Shenmue. I go downtown and walk around, then stop someone passing by.

Me: "Excuse me."

Pedestrian: "Yeah?"

Me: "Is there any place hiring here?"

Pedestrian: "Dunno, sorry."

Me: "Oh, thanks anyway."

Shit, I even got a notebook to keep track of all the information and 'clues' I get... Kind weird but it's definatly helping me find places that are hiring in town.

Okay, okay, I got one... Maybe Steben can relate to this on some level, too.

You know you've played online chess too much when you are playing chess at a real board with a friend, and, violating any "touch-move" precedent you may have set, pick up a piece to move it, only to decide against it. Now, you're not dumb, and you're pretty sure you know where you picked up the piece from originally, but you don't want to make a stupid mistake, so you casually lift the piece away from the board and drop it off of the table... :wink:

I've totally done this/caught myself about to do this in real life a couple of times. Laugh-out-loud funny when it happens, but it certainly puts things in perspective, too.

when GTA 3 came out I was obsessed with it and played it for days uninterrupted. When I finally got out home I felt the urge to open all the cars that i saw parked in the streets.

Luckily the feeling didn't last long, otherwise I would be writing this message from a less comfortable place.

A friend of mine had a similar experience, in which (around the same time I was in the gta3 spree) I showed him the greatness of Quake 2 multiplayer. We played it every day religiously for hours, and he became totally addicted to it, playing it solo for hours and days even if we weren't playing multiplayer.

One morning, he came to work (we worked together), and he told me he wouldn't play quake 2 ever again. He looked really tired, and I asked him why he wouldn't play anymore. He told me that last night he was trying to sleep but everytime he closed his eyes he saw some of the quake monsters running towards him, yelling the stuff they yelled in the game, which scared the shit out of him and he couldn't sleep at all because it happened everytime he closed his eyes as he was laying down in bed.

Not surprisingly, we were back into quake 2 multiplayer a few days later in the same week.

Okay, okay, I got one... Maybe Steben can relate to this on some level, too.

You know you've played online chess too much when you are playing chess at a real board with a friend, and, violating any "touch-move" precedent you may have set, pick up a piece to move it, only to decide against it. Now, you're not dumb, and you're pretty sure you know where you picked up the piece from originally, but you don't want to make a stupid mistake, so you casually lift the piece away from the board and drop it off of the table... :wink:

I've totally done this/caught myself about to do this in real life a couple of times. Laugh-out-loud funny when it happens, but it certainly puts things in perspective, too.

Sadly, I don't play enough real-life chess to have had an experience like that.

Of course, since dropping out of OCRCL many months ago, I don't play enough chess period these days. Not that I was ever great at it to start with, but, perhaps I should join in next go-around. :)

One day I was walking across a bridge and looked down at the water. I turned to my friend and said, "That looks like XBox water." She gave me the strangest look and then I realized that it was real water. From then on, we always joke about what console it looks like the water was generated from.

When ever I go into an uncomfortable place (like my old basement..creepy fuggin place), I put my hands up so I can see them like I'm in an FPS.

Many of my friends and I use pwn, n00b, 1337, and other such terms on a regular basis. But only with each other.

I sometimes tend to walk like an FF8 character, stiffly moving my legs and making a distinctly loud "clop" with every step.

When writing sheet music by hand, I've caught myself numerous times trying to find the Command key and click the paper. (To place notes in Logic, you must hold command and click)

Driving to visit my friend last week, I saw the barren trees on the side of the road. I wanted to paint a circle around them.

Haha! I had that sort of thing in mind after playing Okami for hours on end. I would breathe onto windows and draw circles around a trees...alas, disappointment followed.

I had this dream that seemed to flow like a videogame. I was in an environment where I had to align a raft for a woman jumping off a ledge. I missed again (I think I tried multiple times) so to save time and reset the scene I jumped into the river to end my life. After jumping in and sinking like a stone for two seconds I realized I wasn't in a game and was going to die. I sunk some more and fainted from the water pressure. Then I woke up. >.>

I think my dreams are trying to tell me something.

Ooh! Ooh! Sometimes, when I've worked in the garden for a couple of hours, I'll stand up to stretch, and in my mind, I'll imagine walking through the garden as though in Myst; i.e. finding the corners where you stop, turn around-transition, and then move, and places where clicking on it will make an event happen, like a certain loose brick in these steps will reveal a hidden message scrawled on parchment, etc., etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, not videogame related, I'm always trying to ctrl+f when I'm looking for something in a printed material.

As per the bash.org quote, I constantly find myself Ctrl+F'ing when looking for a certain shirt, or a pair of socks in the morning.

My gaming went in hardcore phases. First, I was heavily involved in RTCW:ET. I mean, wake up, play, eat, play, piss, play, play, eat, play, sleep, wake up, play... Probably 15-16 hours per day. When school started that year, my sister tried to wake me up, and I responded "Bitch, fix the goddamn command post". I also tried trickjumping down some ramps and stuff in the same "legs are stuck in the jump position" glitchy bounces.

Second, my brother and I were hardcore into D2X. To the point of, again, playing 7-8 hours per day after school. (I sold a 6:6:3 CTA to Charsi on accident, for 5000 gold). I never said anything from the game, but I remember randomly hearing the sound of gold falling to the ground.

Lastly, MapleStory. This was probably the most dangerous one, because I started to think of the world as flat, and having no depth at all. I also learned that a 17 hour MS spree followed by a 4:00AM trip to Wal-Mart because you have the munchies is a bad idea. There was a car in the other lane, and I was thinking of everything from the side view, with everything being flat, so I envisioned two cars heading straight toward each other... I swerved off the road, and slapped myself around a bit, not only to wake myself up, but to remind myself that I don't live in a video game.

Yeah, I am a huge Zelda fan... but aparently I have played a bit too much, because one time while sleeping I dreamt that I was playing the game (the original old school Zelda for NES of course!) and what's bad is that my dream was acurate. I actually went through the real game on the real screens, and monsters were generated as they should be. I also have once given a friend instructions on how to get to dungeon 2 from the start screen... over the phone and without having the game in front of me! I guess it's kinda bad if you can memorize an entire game screen for screen but don't know the street layout of your own town...

Yeah, I am a huge Zelda fan... but aparently I have played a bit too much, because one time while sleeping I dreamt that I was playing the game (the original old school Zelda for NES of course!) and what's bad is that my dream was acurate. I actually went through the real game on the real screens, and monsters were generated as they should be. I also have once given a friend instructions on how to get to dungeon 2 from the start screen... over the phone and without having the game in front of me! I guess it's kinda bad if you can memorize an entire game screen for screen but don't know the street layout of your own town...

When my sister was playing LoZ:OoT, she knew from me telling her that the Water Temple was a bitch... When she got there (She was upstairs, I was downstairs) she yelled for me to come up there... Then I asked where she was, and I walked her through the Water Temple from memory.

During my second semester at college, I played SSBM almost constantly with my newfound friends. This had dire consequences on my ability to concentrate in class, as my mind was filled with visions of SSBM characters doing sweet moves. And yes, I mean visions, and quite literally.