When the sequel was better.

watkinzez

Someone mentioned the X-Wing series, and I would have to agree. X-Wing was a phenomenal game for its time, and amazingly, TIE Fighter succeeded it in every way. As far as I'm concerned, TIE Fighter is still the definitive space-combat flight simulator.

X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter was actually a bit of a step backwards. Multiplayer and Melee fights were a great deal of fun, but the lack of a story mode without Balance of Power (Which I sadly never found) really, really hurt the game. X-Wing Alliance fixed a lot of that nonsense though, thankfully. Lots of ships to fly, a really good story mode with challenging and fun missions, and a likeable cast of characters. One of the games greatest flaws was its lack of a real ending. TIE Fighter had a real ending, and I doubt it could've been more fufilling.

That being said, I was impressed with the step forward Civ4 was over Civ3. They took out everything that annoyed me and made the game even more like digital crack.

...And don't get me started on Blizzard. I'll never shut up.

...And don't get me started on Blizzard. I'll never shut up.

Hahahah... agreed. I never shut up about how WarCraft was a better game than WarCraft II. Then it just got crazy ridiculous with WarCraft III and World of WarCraft. *barf*

And the soft classes of Diablo I were vastly more enjoyable than the strict classes of Diablo II.

Hahahah... agreed. I never shut up about how WarCraft was a better game than WarCraft II. Then it just got crazy ridiculous with WarCraft III and World of WarCraft. *barf*

And the soft classes of Diablo I were vastly more enjoyable than the strict classes of Diablo II.

Ho, I disagree. Warcraft was like Dune 1. Great novelty, and amazing for its time. Play it now, and it's so pixelated, it's actually hard to see anything. Then came Dune 2 and Warcraft 2 which improved upon everything.

People bash Warcraft 3, but the whole four-side dynamic worked really well. And the hero aspect was interesting since you can do all sorts of crazy ambushes with a single unit. I mean, that hero unit thing was what made Total Annihilation so great with the commanders. Then it gets bashed by people. Maybe it was too complex a game for its own good. It's definitely not as easy to get into compared to the other Warcraft and Starcraft games. More nuances with the resource and hero leveling.

They still make lots of good ones. Jedi Knight and KOTOR are 2 of my favorite series (been waiting like 4 years now for another Jedi Knight). Battlefront and Lego Star Wars 2 are also good. Of course, Galaxies and Empire at War are garbage...

They're also too stupid to develop a Wii lightsaber game despite massive consumer interest.

Super Bomberman 2 > most Bomberman games

F-Zero GX

They still make lots of good ones. Jedi Knight and KOTOR are 2 of my favorite series (been waiting like 4 years now for another Jedi Knight). Battlefront and Lego Star Wars 2 are also good. Of course, Galaxies and Empire at War are garbage...

I guess I wouldn't mind a big 3D version of Maniac Mansion though. Speaking of which, Day of the Tentacle was a sequel that was better than the original.

I get the feeling LucasArts doesn't have an in house development studio anymore. All their titles seem to have been outsourced (Bioware, Traveller's Tales, Raven). Is there any of the old talent left?

Mario Party?

I've played all up to and including 5 - 4 had the gameplay sorted, but had too few minigames. 5 was shit. Overall, I give the prize to 1 and 3.

Donkey Kong Country?

1 was the best. Yes, 2 had some nice features and additions, but it doesn't quite beat 1 imo. 3 was quite poor tbh.

Worms series.. I'm not sure which I'd choose between Armageddon and World Party.

Armageddon is more updated thanks to Team17, so Armageddon

Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger (even though the gameplay in CT is better)

Xenogears > Xenosaga (XS's story was drawn out oh-so unnecessarily, even though it's awesome when all placed together)

Kingdom Hearts II > Kingdom Hearts (even though the Synthesis Shop in KH1 was more enjoyable)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door > Paper Mario (even though PM is nostalgic, has better music, and has more memorable locations)

Donkey Kong Country 3 > Donkey Kong Country 2 > Donkey Kong Country (even though DKC2 has one of the best soundtracks ever)

(film) Toy Story 2 > Toy Story

What about the X-Cup?

Maybe it's because I rarely play any single player games but I really found that the multi player in F-Zero GX wasn't fun and often resulted in people getting frustrated with the controls. I can't really say anything about the single player as I only did the first mission.

Well, my friends and I found multiplayer great, but it's more for the people who have got into the one player mode - it really rewards the hardcore players of the game since they're used to all the nuances of the difficulty. If you go straight into multiplayer, and face someone who beat the Diamond Cup, it's like going into Guitar Hero playing for the first time and playing someone who beat Bark At The Moon on the hardest difficulty - it's complete rape.

What about Mega Man 2 (since I'm forcing myself not to bring up the MMX debate again)? Kenji Inafune himself said it was the best Mega Man game he made, and he's constantly striving to make one that was as good, if not better. Greatest of the Mega Man Original series music, most popular boss weapon (Metal Blade), and usually is the one game that other Mega Man fanatics play that hooks them to the series

I also think Mega Man Zero 2 was better than the first, though the 3rd and 4th weren't quite as good.

And whoever said Spider-Man 2 (the movie) was better than the first needs to watch the two again. The first was better.

I also think Mega Man Zero 2 was better than the first, though the 3rd and 4th weren't quite as good.

And whoever said Spider-Man 2 (the movie) was better than the first needs to watch the two again. The first was better.

*politely disagrees with you*

I preffer Zero 3 to any of the other megaman zero games (although I haven't played 1).

Spiderman 2 was better, but I can't say why just now.

I prefer Zero 3 to any of the other megaman zero games (although I haven't played 1).

Yeah, that's what I felt about the series too. Zero 3 eliminated the annoying function of leveling up your weapons, and the chip system just felt more intuitive for upgrades than the Form System from Zero 2 or the Junk System from Zero 4. I felt Zero 3 was the most streamlined of the games, the least irritating, and overall presented the greatest performance. In my opinion, I felt Zero 4 was a major step backwards for the series after Zero 3.

And personally, to make my point about Blizzard earlier, I personally felt that WarCraft III was the best entry into that particular series. It added a StarCraft-like balance between the races that I very much enjoyed over the virtual mirror images of Orcs and Humans from WarCraft II.

As for Diablo, part of me likes elements from the original more than the sequel, but I'd largely consider Diablo II to be the better game in most respects. My greatest irritation with Diablo II was how hard it was to play on higher difficulties on Single Player and that you couldn't retrain your skills if you hit a wall. If you could refund your Skill Points for a fee, I think it would've done a lot for the game. It definitely would've made the late game more accessible.

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner :D

I have to disagree. I felt that the throw ability in ZOE2 was gimmicky and not really a step up. Obvious boosts in graphics and sound aside, the core gameplay was pretty much the same. The addition of the sub weapons actually doing something was nice, but it still was just a hack-and-slash mech game. You can beat the whole game with Square and R2. Plus the multiplayer actually felt slower than ZOE1. I much prefer ZOE over ZOE2.