A question for any Music Majors here

about:blank

I'm in the process of applying to a few universities in hopes of getting a Bachelor's degree in Music, and they're sending letters back to me saying that I'm going to need to prepare for an audition. It says that during this audition, I'll have to do the following things:

Prepare a brief, 7 - 10 minute performance with the instrument I'm most proficient in

Be ready to sight-read, and to play a number of different scales

Take a written theory skills diagnostic test

Take an ear training diagnostic test

Take a sight singing test

and lastly...

Give an aural demonstartion which includes an assessment of my ability to match pitch, to sing an octave above or below a given pitch in my range, and to demonstrate my musical memory

A lot of this I'm not worried about, I think I can handle performing on an instrument, and taking the written theory skills diagnostic test, but the aural tests are a completely different story. I have absolutely no skills when it comes to singing.

So, to anyone here who has been through this before, what exactly is the audition like? Is the aural portion a very vital part of the audition? What would I expect to find on the written theory skills diagnostic test? Also, during the performance portion of the audition, are you able to choose any piece of music that you want to play, or do they recommend that the piece you choose is of the classical genre?

Thanks in advance

It's hard know what will be expected of you since many programs have different expectations. For example, for my performance auditions (multiple) I was to prepare two pieces of contrasting style totalling 5 to 7 minutes in length. I wrote an arrangement of Nobuo Uematsu's "Tifa's Theme" for saxophone and piano as my lyrical piece, and played Dizzy Gillespe's Groovin' High as my technical piece.

If your choice of music is not left completely up to you, as with my program, one of two things may happen. They may have a list compiled of pieces for you to choose from to play on your instrument, and tell you to pick one or two of them, or a program coordinator may give you a piece to learn.

I've found that almost all programs will have you play a romantic or baroque era piece, and it seems jazz or pop music is heavily frowned upon. After playing Groovin' High at one of my auditions, the auditor told me I "should have played something classical [note: baroque or romantic], because jazz isn't 'legit' music." Obviously though, if you're auditioning for a jazz program you'll be expected to play something jazzy, and probably have an improvised solo section.

Sight reading and scales hopefully won't be a problem. I've found that sight-reading passages tend to lean towards the lyrical side, so you should know the notes easily and be focusing on phrasing.

I've never had to perform an ear training test or sight singing test, so I can't tell you what to expect in those. I assume you have a piano or keyboard at home as well as an electric tuner, so hopefully you can start practicing right away!

Good luck!

So, to anyone here who has been through this before, what exactly is the audition like?

It depends on where you are. Some places are very relaxed, some are very tense. If you're applying for a performance major, they'll probably ask to hear your solo repertoire, hear you sight read, play some scales, etc. It's pretty straight ahead.

Is the aural portion a very vital part of the audition?

I don't know what type of music degree you're applying for, but as a performance major i found that the only effect that it had on my entrance to Peabody was where I was placed for ear training. It's really just to see if you can hear pitch. If you aren't a good singer, it's not a big deal. Just as long as you prove that you aren't tone-deaf. I have a feeling that perhaps they will just factor it into your audition as well as a small percentage (i.e. "this guy is really really good, but he can't hear notes. lets accept him anyway." as opposed to "this guy is alright, but he can't hear notes. let's let in the guy who is alrlight and CAN hear notes") It's not about to see how good of a singer you are. So if you're no pixietricks it's all good :D

What would I expect to find on the written theory skills diagnostic test?

Probably basic stuff from "name the key signature" up to "what kind of chord is this" or "what is the form of this excerpt" or "find the voice leading errors" or i dunno, stuff like that. Musical examples with multiple choice answers seems familiar to me

Also, during the performance portion of the audition, are you able to choose any piece of music that you want to play, or do they recommend that the piece you choose is of the classical genre?

It depends on where you're auditioning and what kind of degree you're majoring in. My schools told me what to play.

Thanks in advance

As mentioned, everything will depend on what school(s) you're applying to, and what major. In high school I had damaged my voice by shouting too much so that I couldn't sing even into the alto range, which made auditioning very interesting.

For my music education audition I had to sing America the Beautiful, but I couldn't actually sing it in the key they asked, so they had to change it for me. At the same time, I had to listen to a cd of small passages and reproduce them on voice, which I also couldn't due because I couldn't sing the range. When I could I tried to jump octaves, but it was pretty hard to do, especially in an audition when you're not used to singing!

Regardless, the people could tell that I could hear the notes, and if I'd had the abilities I wouldn't have had trouble reproducing them, so they let me in. One guy told me to sing to the radio more :)

So, after a long story, I don't think the aural portion is going to factor too much into the equation, if I got into mus. ed. with no voice.

As for the performance part, I brought in a sonata, and a technical exercise that I had prepared before. It's probably different for others, but I was told to simply prepare stuff that would show the melodic and technical sides of playing.

In my experience, the theory, keyboard, eartraining etc. tests are strictly for class placement and don't affect your acceptance into the school. More prestigious schools might be different, though.

I agree with Izzy: I think that these tests will mostly just be about knowing what level you are at. Mostly because these are all things you end up learning in college if you don't already know them. Otherwise what is the education for, eh?

I used to be a minor in my school's low brass studio.

I found out very quickly that a command of basic sightsinging ability was enough to get me through Music Skills I & II without any work on my own, much less to get past an audition to get me into the program.

As for a lack of singing ability, usually sightsinging is based on relative pitch. I could usually set the tonic at whatever pitch I wanted it to be, so range wouldn't be an issue. And they certainly won't count off for singing technique, so as long as you squak out the right pitches, I imagine you'll be fine.

Other than that, I guess I can't do anything more than echo what everyone else has said - it depends on your school. At my college, as long as you're competent at your instrument, they'll give you a shot at the program. (You'll have to improve, of course, or they won't keep you around though.) But I'd imagine the stakes are a little higher if you're applying for some fancy-smhancy music conservatory or something.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. To address what some people here were asking about, the universities that I'm applying to are somewhat relaxed with their standards. By no means are they bad schools, though.

Here are the three schools that I'm applying for:

The University of Maine at Orono

The University of Maine at Farmington

and...

The University of Southern Maine

I've only recieved a response from one of the schools so far (The University of Southern Maine) but the other two universities also have somewhat similar standards.