OCR00034 - Gradius "Perfect Selection"

Gradius 'Perfect Selection'

Gradius has almost always had awesome music. Every single track is not a winner, but usually the music kicks ass. This mix starts out sounding like it was straight from the game itself. Then it starts sounding a bit better, but still sounds like an 8 or 16-bit game machine. It goes through some various Gradius tunes. If you like Gradius music you'll like this. If you want to hear some good videogame music from the late 80's you'll also want to download this. Melody is king.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This piece is catchy. That's probably the OST doing the work, even trying to rope me in with the lofi synths. But the thing that's great about it is the tune. I might as well just listen to the original. It has everything this mix has: lofi samples, catchy tunes and repetition.

In short, just get the original. This isn't much of a sound improvement anyway.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, the first few seconds are almost a direct rip of the game. As has been said above, the game's soundtrack is one of the best of the generation, so that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

However, the remix doesn't ever seem to stray from the original at all. In addition to that, there aren't transitions between pieces, so this ultimately sounds like a few short MIDI rips instead of the cohesive remix that the panel pushes for today. Cohesiveness has allowed mixes with this level of production to pass in the past, but even then, if this was mix #500 instead of #0034, it would be rejected as a midi rip outright. It's good to know the site's history though, but not worth a second listen. As Chickedwarlord says above, just go play the NES game and you'll hear 95% of the same things.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That fade after the first tune is so strange to hear.. Otherwise, I actually really enjoyed listening to this. Obviously it's not much of a rearrangement, and not a radical re-sounding of the material, so that too is strange to hear among OCR tunes, even the older ones. This one sticks out. Luckily I liked listening to it. :)

--Eino

Not bad, actually.

It sounds like it came directly from a game.

The fade at 0:56 is like changing levels/areas in the game.

Highly reminiscent of late 80's/early 90's 16-bit game soundtracks and nicely energetic and fast paced.

It's a very interesting track and definitely shoot 'em up worthy.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty vanilla, but there's a few moments where this track harmonizes pretty nicely. I have to agree with everyone else, what the hell was with the fadeout in the middle of the track? :< That really was hilarious, at first I thought this was just a 45 second track with a crappy fadeout tacked on the end, and then it jumped in with a brand new song.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Not super familiar with the source, I have a feeling it sounds similar to this, but it's a selection of fun and well 'played' tunes. Not a fan of way this medley is structured though, whether it's accurate to the game or not the fade outs and abrupt 'fade ins' don't really work musically. In my opinion. 

Actually this sounds like how I'd imagine the credits music for this game to be. I suppose this is a lot cooler with the nostalgia goggles on. For now? Well maybe this can open the door for more Gradius mixes, it definitely sounds like there's some noteworthy material to work with further! 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00034 - Gradius "Perfect Selection"