Frets on Fire - PC Guitar Hero Clone

CE

Alright, I think there probably was a thread about this a while ago, but I'll make a new one, since something this awesome deserves a thread at all times. It's somewhat old, but oh-so-worth it.

208839766_6c16e38049_o.png

Frets on Fire

This is guitar hero. On your computer. You use the F1, F2, F3, F4, F5 keys as the guitar's frets and the enter as the pick button, just like you would in Guitar Hero. It's 33MB and it has high scores and the ability to edit songs and make your own. Contrary to Guitar Hero though, this lets you import songs, either ones you made or songs from a already growing database (link later). It's pretty low end, so pretty much any PC can play it. It comes with 3 songs, a somewhat easy one, a medium one and a hard one (each of these has a Easy, Hard and Amazing setting itself by the way). You hold the keyboard upside down, with the F buttons facing down. You can play without doing this, but it's tougher, less fun and generally fgty.

List of songs

By the way, do any of you know another database for this? With more songs? Have you made any?

Use this thread to post high scores and stuff too!

208839767_80b7fd5b4f_o.png

It's insanely fun, and like a modded Guitar Hero! Not that different from the real deal, so if you already own it you might want to skip this.

If you register on the forums here you can get access to running submissions and people's personal archives under "Tune tradin'".

There used to be great repository here, but has since been taken down.

Anyway, Walan is seriously going to organize an OCR FoF song pack (hope I'm not putting him on the spot or anything), so keep eyes out for that.

Nice to see that a great open source game is getting the attention it deserves.

EDIT: Again, I see Dhsu's name up on one of the songs in the archive you linked - is that our Dhsu?

The gap isn't that bad you weenies. I think the main problem with FoF is no hammer-ons or whammy bar, unless they changed that recently. I'm just waiting for a StepMania-quality clone to come out, with a decent editor. Then I'd start tabbing those OCR tunes like nobody's business...

And yes, that's my Awe of She tab.

i didnt try it with keyboard at all, i decided that if i gonna try this, i plugging gh controller in to usb adapter and will only play it if that works, and sure enough, it did.

the one thing though that annoys me though, is the lack of whammy bar function...i keep tryin to use it..but nope..they need to make it work damnit

I always mention this in an FoF thread: go to the mod section of the FoF forums and download RF-mod 2.0. It adds to the game:

~the ability to put songs into folders

~a pause feature

~multi-track support for Guitar Hero II songs

~a number of optimizations to make FoF run better and with less CPU usage

~themeable fret colors (change the fifth fret to orange if you want)

The next version hopes to add things like career mode for GH/GHII, Hammer-on's/Pull-off's, and multiplayer.

It makes the game so much better.

As for the mentions of an OCR FoF pack: I'm still putting the idea together, but expect the official announcement/interest/song suggestion thread in the coming weeks. Until then, you posters just think about what you'd like to rock out to the most. :)

Walan, you just get better and better. Good call on the RF-mod.

Yeah, yeah, we get screwed because no HO/POs, although I could live without them because they weren't an integral part of my GH experience... However, the whammy bar was. I'd love that, but I'm not sure it would be easy to implement with the actual distortion because a lot of people without lots of audio mastering experience just copy the guitar.ogg to song.ogg as the same thing, and that would sound odd (distortion on the same song layered over the original... can't be good).

I've haven't seen any Queen songs past Killer Queen from GH.

You could try the FoF Spanish community at www.fofspain.com. Of course, it's harder to browse around when you don't know Spanish, but registering and finding the GHI/II packs aren't too hard to do.

Also, this site has the largest collection of tape labels for FoF songs. There's still some GHI/II labels that are missing/crappy, so I'd like to see some of the Photoshoppers here fill in those blanks.

I was there right now. I'm Portuguese, so Spanish comes naturally. I've seen some stuff I wanted to download, but not on this PC. As far as the labels go, I remember there being a Mute City song on the link Sadorf provided and it had a label with GX Falcon on it. And it was from FoF.Spain. Nice stuff.

If the OCR song pack is really in the works, I would like to humbly suggest to Walan to get the seperate guitar and song tracks from the original remixer. I can't tell you how annoying it is for me to miss a note and to have the entire song stop (or the guitar continue) because there's no real difference between the song and guitar files other than volume. Just my two cents.

If the OCR song pack is really in the works, I would like to humbly suggest to Walan to get the seperate guitar and song tracks from the original remixer. I can't tell you how annoying it is for me to miss a note and to have the entire song stop (or the guitar continue) because there's no real difference between the song and guitar files other than volume. Just my two cents.

That's actually the whole concept of my OCR song pack. I already have on this PC the seperate guitar and song tracks for Hangarmageddon by EvilHorde from DSoP. Believe me, I want this song pack to be as professional as possible and not a slap-together job.

That's actually the whole concept of my OCR song pack. I already have on this PC the seperate guitar and song tracks for Hangarmageddon by EvilHorde from DSoP. Believe me, I want this song pack to be as professional as possible and not a slap-together job.

<3

Aw man, I can't wait.

What about supporting RF Mod: Alternate parts for bass, rhythmn guitars?

I think it's a given that there's going to be labels, though...

Am I getting ahead of myself? Shouldn't we wait for the (more) official thread?

so many questions. so little post.

EDIT: Totally my 666th post. Funtimes.

What about supporting RF Mod: Alternate parts for bass, rhythmn guitars?

I think it's a given that there's going to be labels, though...

Am I getting ahead of myself? Shouldn't we wait for the (more) official thread?

so many questions. so little post.

I know. The response has me really excited, too. But I want everything organized before I jump the gun.

I do want labels, and I know people here are more than able to provide. I've thought about bass/rhythmn sections, too.

I swear (more) official thread will come soon. Just try to remain calm.

Is there a way in this game to have it so you can only strum the first note and just fret when the notes have an all white top like in Guitar Hero? If there isn't I see no reason to playing it since I need to do that to play on hard/expert (mostly expert) and I have yet to find the option.