OCR00628 - Breath of Fire "Sad Melody"

orkybash

Breath of Fire 'Sad Melody'

Can I really say anything bad about something FFmusic Dj did? Not really, especially when It's this high quality. It's everything you've come to expect from him - thumping beats, great synths, and an overall excellent remix. If I had to change one thing, I would make the piano in the beginning fade into the synths instead of the piano stopping and the synths starting, but that's really minor. Overall, I have no choice but to put a gun to your head and say "Download Now."

I.. love this remix. It may not be 'sad' per say but I do think the techno beat even keeps it in there. I LOVE it. I do. I might even marry it.

Hahaha. Just kidding. I just wanted to tell you that I've listened to this for a while, I just never commented here. I love it. Good work.

I was dissapointed the first several times I listened to this track as well. It starts with such a beautiful piano track! Why couldn't it continue in that vein? And yet again, I find a song that I consider to have been ruined by the addition of a drum loop. As I've said in other reviews, I don't like drums. I -love- rythym, I just like the beat to be covered by an actual instrument, you know, by emphasizing the beat, instead of with a drum, which in my mind is an artificial time keeping device. And artificial is bad.

But play it several times I did, until I stopped, and in the process of playing it those serval times, it lodged somewhere in the back of my subconscious. Some of you may know that I listen to remixes while I do things like write, for I love writting stories. And then there came a time when I was writting a story that came to a section of that story wherein my subconscious dredged up this song again, and I just HAD to hear it. And ever since then, I've recognized that it does, indeed, have musical qualities, and that just because those qualities aren't the kind I like when I'm lounging around, say, web surfing, it does set a very specific mood. Let me try my best to describe that mood. I'll probably miss the mark, because describing emotions with words is tricky, but here's my best shot.

It starts out just as advertised. A sad melody. Well... not precisly sad... more meloncholic. Lonely. And then, without much transition, it turns straight into techno. Techno is energetic, electronic, and bouncy, almost by definition! But because of the intro, what it's a techno rendition OF stays firmly in the mind, and despite being techno, the sensation of lonelyness remains. Energetic, power driving, yet alone. Which is odd. Which is why it took a while for me to find a place where it would be usefull... to make me want to listen to it.

The reason I would listen to it before I started appreciating it as a whole was for two little parts in it. The beginning, and at 2:45, when the drums are dropped out (THANKFULLY!) and it's piano mixed in with the electronic instrument. I find this portion of the song to be actually beautiful... emotionally stirring, sweet, calm, like overlooking a cliff on a windswept day. Later, the drum loop cuts out again, leaving just the electronic instrument... and that part is ok as well... but not as pretty as when the piano is there.

So I still don't play it REGULARLY... and it's not on my WinAMP random playlist, but every once and a while, the mood that this song captures is actually welcome, and I go hunt it out in my folder and hit play... it does it's job then. Well done for that. I'd also like to add to FF DJ that he does great piano work, and that I'd love hearing a non-techno peice from him that featured the piano as the main instrument... perhaps it should have some other instruments to back it up, but the piano should be the focus. I hope to hear that one day from you.

Until then...

Alright, I LOVE THIS REMIX, IT'S SOOOOO WELL DONE! I can remember listening to it over and over, and just LOVING IT!

But...

"Sad Melody"? I don't know about that one...when I was listening to it, I didn't even percive it as "sad"...maybe if the title were changed, it would be more convincing.

Oh well, I still like listening to it. ;)

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET REMIX! And no doubt the BEST BoF remix and FFmusicDJ's BEST as well. Starts off with the sad tune done with a nicely done piano and then it follows by a IN YOUR FACE, DONT BE SAD NO MORE, KICKIN TUNE! Since Haroon got Reason, his music got WAY better. I guess all he needed was better samples.

FFmusicDJ IS MY HERO! hehe

Gman

This is sad techno, and it's beautiful the way it's done. The tune starts with the main melody being played by only a piano, and that same theme, as Fieari says, stays in the seemingly wild and happy, fairly mainstream-sounding techno beat that comes after it. After the first long drum roll, a beat comes in and the tune speeds up. It's a proud theme, the way it's done, but the original sadness is kept. When the main tune fades away, leaving the beat to fend for itself, there's an empty feeling, and then the tune comes back, on piano, and the drums go away after another roll. One more drum roll and you're back to the bittersweet techno. The end of the song reminds us of its sadness and loneliness, and the listener is forced to listen again. And again. And again. Because it's so very well done, and moving emotionally -- a thing which most techno simply doesn't do for me.

• 2 weeks later...

mind you who didnt consider the fact that I Mixes the Sad Melody song from Breath of Fire, why it's called Sad melody? cause thats the song I mixed. :lol:

the first 28 sec's were the actual notes for the song and the rest was a mix. :) if you listen to the first 28 sec's, your missing the point of the song (it being my mix) and I do like it when I turn my vg melodies in to trance mixes. thats what I was trying to achieve when I made this song.

other than that, thanks for your comments, I have much more coming.

• 4 weeks later...

The first time i browsed through the site and saw FFMusicDJ i was interested to see what this artist could cook up. I downloaded sad melody being in the mood for something of the sort. My god was i ever surprised, the first 28 seconds of this song are keys from the actual song melody and rain down into some very sweet and well mastered techno.

The fast synths given in this piece are somethign you really dont see every day, and the hard kick on it gives it that sort of mix that you just want to hear again and again.

at -1:56 theres a beautifull synth/piano of the song and remix that probably entranced me into loving this song so much, this song gets a good 9/10 because its nto typical, tis from a great game, and its really hard hitting

My hat salutes to you FFMusicDJ !

• 2 weeks later...

FF Music DJ's best. Excellent.

The piano intro, the soft synth, the wonderful beats...

This must be the best track at OCR...Better than Terra in Black...

(I know I will get many letters from angry FF-listeners for this statement :? )

That's a 10!

//Solarus

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Very nice, like a breath of fresh air compared to the less-professional music. I must say it's the best I've heard here so far, and you have some tough competition. This is like that Heatman movie by DragoonFenix15....no wait, that made me vomit! This, on the other hand, is Jesus Christ in techno form.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i'm not a fan of the genre and in fact, for the most part, try not to listen to most stuff of this style

however, this mix is one of my favorite arrangements ever and by far my favorite breath of fire arrangement. There is no doubt that anytime this guy touches a tune, its gonna be good, but i didn't know it would be this good.

i got this song a loooong time ago, like over a year but i hadn't yet commented on it.

the introductin is very beautiful, the piano evokes a melancholic mood better than even some of the more popular "sad" remixes. the intricacy with which its arranged is spectacular... sets the mood for the rest of the tune.

the transitions are the key to this piece, i think. the transition into the synth at the very beginning caught me so off gaurd i nearly cried with joy. :)

in any case, the groove is moving, it is constantly moving forward - the drive of the tune is strong and willed. very good synths and a very persistent bass presence.

in the end you feel in the song and a part of the beat. its not a coincidence that i looked down at my body and found that i was dancing to it before i realized that i was.

excellent work of art, and if anybody hasnt gotten it already, go get it.

~weed

• 2 months later...

THIS is dance remixing at its best. Great intro, simple but effective drums, excellent arrangement and accompaniment. The lead synth is really the main strength of this remix; I'm pretty sure it's FM7, and it sounds damn good. My only complaint (I had to think for a bit) is that it could use a bit more variation on the melody.

9.5/10

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just an odd note, but I had this mix playing and my wife was in the room.

Suddenly she exclaimed, "It's Puff the Magic Dragon!" "What?", I said, thoroughly confused.

"It's Puff the Magic Dragon," she repeated and then sensing my confusion she started humming the tune.

Then it clicked. The melody of this tune is very similar to Puff the Magic Dragon's. So the next time you find yourself humming along to this tune you'll have some words to go with it. :D

Love the community here, this is my first post.

I love all your hard work on the music; many songs on this site have made dull days at work much more enjoyable. Someday I'll have a song to add to this wonderful collection. But not today. :wink:

LaterZ!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00628 - Breath of Fire "Sad Melody"