Suggest songs for me to arrange for big band

Hemophiliac

ok guys i'm looking for suggestions for a song to arrange for a 10+ piece big band.

reason why i ask...i have an arranging class in which i'll be doing this for. so far i haven't really been able to make up my mind on what i want to do, so i figured since i wanted to do a vg tune i'd ask here. i am also planning on sequencing and submitting the track if i feel it to be satisfactory enough :)

i would also appreciate it if when a suggestion is made that you could possibly link me to a place where i could hear or find said tune.

thanks!

"Bob-Omb Battlefield" was the first thing that came to mind for a swinging big band.

You need to purchase this.

FABULOUS Bob-Omb Battlefield big-band style. Complete with a jammin' tenor sax solo in the middle.

As for the arrangement, Hemo; what I've always dreamed of doing was Hydrocity Zone, Act 2. It just seems MADE for a big band to play. I've been wanting to do it myself, but I realized my high school jazz band would probably not be up to the task of playing it like it should be played.

That, and I need to learn some jazz theory...so I can at least get away with an arrangement/medley of Mario tunes before I graduate.

Pretty much anything Darkwing Duck (NSFe) would probably be pretty easy, since it's halfway there already, but since it's an NES game, it'll require at least a little work in instrumentation.

Something requiring a bit more work would be the Crystalis overworld theme (track 6, "Fields," in the NSFe).

Also:

19:44 <F4T4L> actually that so far is my top choice. driving music from Bayou Billy. (nsf track 5)

19:45 <F4T4L> in second, 1943 stage 2

19:47 <F4T4L> ...Athena stage 1. :((((

19:48 <F4T4L> Blaster Master Big Band

19:50 <F4T4L> Deja Vu

19:54 <F4T4L> Metal Gear, jungle musix

19:54 <F4T4L> hell even the building musix

19:55 <F4T4L> and if they wanna get crazy, the boss musix

19:57 <F4T4L> Mach Rider

Pretty much anything Darkwing Duck (NSFe) would probably be pretty easy, since it's halfway there already, but since it's an NES game, it'll require at least a little work in instrumentation.

i <3 you with mouth

seriously hemo, if you do that i will cream my pants. no lie.

why must there be so many projects? i wanna start my DT/DT2/Darkwing one...rawrgh...

Gang-Plank Galleon from Donkey Kong Country...

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/snesK.Roolv2.1.mid

the final battle from Banjo-Kazooie...

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Witch.mid

and let's not forget a certin Wizpig!

----

hope this helps!

GH isn't a site that is looked upon happily here, so please kindly remove that link from your post...before a mod does and warns you for it.

Super Mario 64 - Bob-Omb Battlefield

Way to freaking read my mind. I wasn't going to suggest it for the Big Band Live CD already existing, but it's the first thing that came into my head.

The only other thing that rings any bells is the staff roll from the same game. Bigger stretch, but I can picture it.

I would have to second Mustin's choice. SM64 would be good.

However, I have a great suggestion as well:

Banjo Kazooie, and here are the details...

The Click-Clock Woods track (the last level). If you haven't played the game, it's a level that is broken up into four parts corresponding with the 4 seasons of a year (fall, summer, spring, winter). I would suggest the Spring version. It's peppy and upbeat and can definitely work with a big band arrangement.

However, here is the creative part. The song goes surprisingly well with the old pop song "Rockin' Robin." There have been so many covers of the song, I'm not sure who did the original, but I think it may have been the Jackson 5. You can find it on the iTunes store. The trick here will be to arrange it so that it's a medley of the two. Honestly, if it could be pulled off, I would be in utter amazement!!

To give you an idea of what I mean, I would suggest listening to Mustin's track "Super Mario Sleigh Ride." It combines themes from Super Mario World and the Christmas song "Sleigh Ride." Their track would be a good example of how it can work. But, in terms of your sound, I really like Estradasphere and their track "SuperBuckJazz." I think if it would be possible to combine those two, you would have one kick ass arrangement and mix!! Both mixes are on OCR and I would highly recommend downloading both of them regardless if you want to do this idea :)!

Just a thought. Good luck mate :)

Xenon:

I have that CD. And I have the live DVD of the show. It's good. But it'd be cool to hear a version without all of the Japaneseness, dig?

CHz:

GOOD FUCKING CALL! Darkwing Duck needs some lovin' and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Awesome music. I have some unfinished version of the boss music somewhere... But yeah, it's a soundtrack that would lend itself to a big band very well.