OCR00613 - Tinhead "Level 1 Theme (Brain Bucket Mix)"

orkybash

• 8 months later...

I love the melody in this. It doesn't stray from Rayza's usual sounds he uses, so if that's all you needed to know....

Standard Rayza wailing synth, techno rhythms, YAY PIANO rhythms, happiness, and a random pause in the middle with a bucket dropping that only Rayza will ever know its purpose. Basically it's an enhanced version of the original in a whole other style.

Just to restate, I really like this melody and am glad it has been mixed for mine and everyone else's listening pleasure. This is the kind of stuff OC is about minus the variation of the original melody. I think there was one of those "arrangements" of the melody in there, maybe at the end.

The original was in a stage called "Crystal World" and can be found on Zophar under the SNES section even though it says Sega on OC (I guess it was just done on the genesis first).

• 3 years later...

Aside from the fact that the game was very unfamiliar, I never understood why no one bothered to review this. Back in mid-'02, this was one of the few mixes from a game I'd never heard of that caught my attention. Pretty catchy stuff from Rayza, and a good upgrade to the original track. Definitely deserving of more than 2 other reviews.

• 9 months later...

Wow that was actually one of my better old reviews (two posts above...old account).

Just thought I'd pop in again and say that I still enjoy this, except I noticed a grating constant "hi-hat" sound in the right ear during the 2nd half of the song (possibly first as well). I can usually get by somehow enjoying something after spotting an annoying repeating sound, hopefully by listening with speakers next time.

The gating-like synth sample/harmonization, during this one part (before the two main phrases repeat again), is wonderful.

• 6 months later...

Obscure game; awesome remix.

I love the lead line on this, and the energetic accompaniment. The drums are a little weak, but the mix is carried by the busy synth rhythms and the nice lead. I think the mix could have benefitted from a shift in the color of the lead synth; right now the same sound goes throughout the entire song. Mixing it up for a breakdown or something would be a nice improvement.

Otherwise a really good track from a game i've never heard of before.

• 5 months later...

I'm not a fan of the sound choices, but that's only my opinion. I can see how they fit, they just rub me the wrong way.

1:10 is really random. Everything comes to a screeching halt, and it takes way too long to regain momentum. Too bad, as it sits right in the middle of the mix and breaks it apart.

Tune is catchy, and the bass drives things nicely. Don't know how interpretive this is to the original, but either way it's good part writing by either the composer or Rayza here.

Cute little mix!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice synths. A collection of parts that build off each other quite well and culminate to underwrite the melody quite well.

I don't really feel like anything in this mix stands up and smacks me in the face with awesome, but it's a very listenable piece that I enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have fond memories of Rayza's early material when getting used to the site, and even now a good amount of it still had that quality touch now in regards to the production as they did back then - a little dated on the sound choices but they still sound pleasant to hear.

Arrangement wise this plays very straight-forward (riff/original section/riff again), though the drop to the solo synth at 1:22 surprised me in regards to the direction taken. Overall it's a very light and happy way of writing, and one that could easily lose the listener in thought - thus in spite of it obviously showing its age, I quite dig this :)

I don't remember the original or the game very well but this is a bright and up-beat track. Nice, light and happy feeling. Having listened to some of Rayza's other tracks its a was a bit of suprise. Not a whole lot of complexity but certainly easy to listen to. Looking at other posted mixes around at the same time, the quality is pretty high. Good stuff, but not my kind of thing. Perhaps someone who is a fan of the game would get more from this.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00613 - Tinhead "Level 1 Theme (Brain Bucket Mix)"