Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria OST

sirusd

Has anyone else had a chance to check out the music from this game? Historically speaking, Motoi Sakuraba has never been a favorite of mine. His works have always been obviously synthetic. While I enjoy the tracks while playing through the games (such as the Star Ocean series, and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth), none of the tracks really seemed to stand out to me. They were all very par for the course.

However, I noticed that Silmeria seemed different. As I was playing the game, I paid closer attention to the tracks. Some of those songs are damn good. I'd wager that it's his best work to date.

Did anyone else get that impression?

It was. I don't remember many of the tracks from the game and at the time none of them really stuck out in my mind. Sakuraba is good at making songs that compliment the mood of the game, but I find that they don't translate well when played outside the game.

I enjoyed most of his earlier works, particularly on the SNES and PSX. With the sound capabilities of the PS2, he's been free to utilize the full breadth of various other styles which often happen to not quite be my preference. I did like many tracks from Baten Kaitos though. The battle theme is very novel and well written.

Personally, I really liked the vp:s ost at first, but I'm not quite as fond of it anymore. Really, I think Sakuraba's biggest strength has always been battle themes, but you have to finish 2/3 of the game before any of them are good. Same is true of most of his Tales soundtracks. And sure, some of the town and dungeon themes are nice, but I think that most of them don't stand as well on their own either.

And really, I mostly listen to Sakuraba to have my face rocked off. The arrange album from this game does a good job, but his star ocean (2 and 3) and vp1 soundtracks are also a lot better for it. I think my favorite Sakuraba pieces are the ones where I think "a Japanese guy wrote this?" though. "People Inside a Fence" from so3, and "Le Ali del Principio" and "Deep Red Pastures" from Baten Kaitos II...

i'll prefer VP1 and SO2 myself. silmeria ost was not bad' date=' but it lack the fealing i had with VP1's ost.[/quote']

I agree, while both OST's are good. VP1 has a couple of songs that are absolutely incredible. Some of the most emotive songs on any OST I have come across.

This is not to downgrade VP2's OST, it is damn good better than SO2. But VP1's OST has a couple songs that are just jaw dropping.

Has anyone else had a chance to check out the music from this game? Historically speaking, Motoi Sakuraba has never been a favorite of mine. His works have always been obviously synthetic. While I enjoy the tracks while playing through the games (such as the Star Ocean series, and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth), none of the tracks really seemed to stand out to me. They were all very par for the course.

However, I noticed that Silmeria seemed different. As I was playing the game, I paid closer attention to the tracks. Some of those songs are damn good. I'd wager that it's his best work to date.

Did anyone else get that impression?

I bought all of the CDs (OSTs 1&2, the voice mix arrange, and the arrange album) like three weeks ago and haven't even opened them yet. Maybe I should?