OCR00610 - Perfect Dark "Dark Conflict"

orkybash

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice...the choir, the organs...it's appropriately "Dark"...

One miner gripe though. The track remixed isn't "Dark Combat," which is the music that plays during Mr. Blonde's bonus level. Instead, this music is from the "screen saver" that plays as the alternate opening cuscene...I can't remember what it's called...

Other than that, "Perfect." Two thumbs up! :D

(ach, that's two in one post! bad Tacitus, bad!)

• 6 months later...
Instead, this music is from the "screen saver" that plays as the alternate opening cuscene...I can't remember what it's called...

Well, the name of the track that plays during the alternate opening sequence is called "Alien Conflict." The author simply removed "Alien" and replaced it with "Dark" to preserve his ReMix's mood. Thanks.

Understanding is useless without knowledge

• 2 years later...

Very atmospheric, the choir sounds decent except when changing chords, there is a little over-emphasis. The evolution of the song is very subtle and very slow, which could certainly turn some people off, as all of the arrangement happens over the two chords, which makes things seem stagnant a bit, regardless of the changes in mood.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't really know how to take something like this... It's moody for sure, definitely very atmospheric, but yet I still can't say whether I like it or not. It feels like there is something missing here, some visual that needs to be conveyed alongside it. I can't just close my eyes here and think of what is going on with this.

As far as music that helps reinforce an atmosphere, I think this is perfect. However, I don't really like this as a standalone per se. It's good, but like I have clumsily been trying to convey, it just doesn't "do it" for me in that sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to like this - it's incredibly dark and moody, perfect for the level it's supposed to be for. I agree with a few of the complaints others have posted - for one, it doesn't carry the 'alien' sound to it. I'm not asking for theremin samples or anything, but to me it doesn't really capture the essence of the Skedar. It sounds more temple-like, which is perfectly reasonable for the last level of the game, but it still lacks the...well...I can't really describe it. It almost doesn't feel like Perfect Dark.

Make no mistake - this is a well-written piece with decent samples and such; still, to me it misses the core of Perfect Dark. This sounds odd, but I actually feel Castlevania before Perfect Dark.

A very good song in the whole, but it doesn't capture the identity of the game for me.

• 8 months later...

This is quite an oldie for me. One of my first batch of initial downloads many, many moons ago. Strangely, I can't say I remembered it all that well, despite having listened to it quite a lot over the years.

I was always a fan of the PD score (like most Rare games), so it's definitely great to explore the darker places that the music can go. I generally think that pipe organs and choirs send off a cliche of darkness and this dabbles in that sort of fake goth teenager vibe for a while, but I also think it has a strenght that isn't immediately recognisable. The samples have aged decently and the arrangement is nice and solid.

Portions are a little empty; for stylistic reasons perhaps, but holes of silence will alienate a few people, myself included.

This still gets top marks from me though for its handling. It's a rewarding concept that highlights the morose aspect of the soundtrack and really runs with it.

I hope not to forget this again.

• 2 years later...

Perfect Dark; nice choice, one of Rare's more overlooked gems out there :)

So what we have here is practically a safe arrangement in regards to structure, one that manages to capture on a more minimalist atmosphere than the original. There doesn't seem to be much additions to it arrangementwise, maybe aside from some additions on the church organ, but for what it is it manages to reflect on the nature of the original quite well. I give mad props for the choirs here; this arrangement may be nearly 10 years old, but with that kind of sustain on them you could mistake this track to be slightly younger.

Here's one thing that you should've noted for when concepting this: the timpani part is out of tune with the rest of the instrumentation, or if not behind the rest of the instruments 2 bars (but given some of the cutoffs it might not necessarily be that). But I can let it slide given the nature/timing of this entry.

For a 2002 song this actually isn't bad at all; may tear some people due to the mood, but I actually quite dig this :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00610 - Perfect Dark "Dark Conflict"