Super Mario 2 - Credits Theme

Eon_Blue

Easily the best song in the game.

http://hosting.thasauce.net/eon/music/Eon_mario2.mp3

Needs length, arrangement. Also, EQ. Samples are pretty good, I think.

I really like the piano solo starting at 0:45, I'd like tho throw some chords underneath, but I don't know music theory. I'll just have to play with it until I get something I like. Also, the hammond organ part is a little out of place. I had a violin there, but that was even worse. I do like the melody it plays, but I can't seem to find an instrument that suits it. I'm heavily inspired by djp's Earthbound Remix (which is fucking fantastic), and while this doesn't exhibit the same "drive", (or "pace" I guess is the word I'm looking for...), I'm liking the way this is turning out.

Tackling this genre is a little tougher, I think - you don't really have effects or anything to rely on as filler. The quality of the song is highly determined by melody and harmony - no huge filter effect sweeps to fall back on when inspiration dies a bit.

Anyway, feedback appreciated, etc...

This reallllly does need EQ. There's way too much stuff in the same frequency and it hurts my ears to listen to it.

The samples should be fine, but as of right now they're not used exceptionally well. Everything is way too flat - you need to mess with the volumes of the notes to make them sound less robotic and more human. I know you say that effects aren't really good with this type of mix, but more subtle effects like EQ and some light reverb or light distortion can make it actually sound more natural and better in the end.

The arrangement right now sounds fine to me and it looks like you know where you want to go. I'd suggest trying to make things sound less stiff by playing with dynamics some more both for individual notes and between sections of the arrangement, doing some EQ and subtle effects, and maybe also making every note not sound super-precise so it does have a more human feel to it. You definitely do have a good start here but I think it would really help to make those changes sooner rather than later.