Tetris Attack - Forest Stage

AMT

Nice beginning. It really feels like it's building to something (though I'm not super fond of the short high-pitched synth in the background)...and then you get to around :38 and it pretty much stays that way. I think you could use a more promenent bass and I really think you need to build it up more into a stronger percussion part there at :38. The choice of flute is fine there, but the part it's playing feels a little choppy and unnatural. If it were a synth maybe it would work better, but an instrument like flute needs to flow a little more and sound like someone could be playing it. Throughout the mix, it also sounds like there's a few messed up notes in the flute here and there - I don't know if those notes are intentional or not, but either way you might want to check it out.

Overall I'd suggest mixing things up a little more. The original has a b-section in between the main repeated riff that you don't really touch here, so you might want to use that somewhere. I'd also try to have stronger variation between sections - maybe completely change the background instruments for one part instead of bringing them in more slowly. And more variation dynamically could really help - try pushing the emphasis between loud and soft in the different sections more extreme and build a little bit more between them.

Hopefully that was of some help. The main thing is try out some new ideas and just keep working on it some more.

• 2 months later...

I've been working on this, and would really appreciate some feedback of how it's coming and what I should do to improve it. Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: Worked on it a ton, hopefully this sounds better. Named in reference to the most frustrating platformer level ever, even if it's in Yoshi's Island and not Tetris Attack.

NEW VERSION: Poochy IS Stupid

OLD VERSION: http://myweb.cableone.net/rebelart/poochynew.mp3

Only reason I came in here is cos I had my own mix of this I made a while ago, which I never really released. Heres an old version of this I still had uploaded: http://vmeissner.googlepages.com/ForestFinal4.mp3 Taucer was going to do guitar but apparently forgot about me... :(

Your mix is, honestly, nice. Arrangement isnt outstanding: the bassline pattern is pretty much the same, as is song structure, and the piano alterations are obvious, though personally I liked them. Sound quality wise, I cant say too much because I'm on bad speakers, but the reverb is just touching on a bit much. The balance between instruments isnt bad at all, however i feel the piano could be brought out more. The piano could also be more defined, it sounds a little fuzzyish to me. The guitar having the string slide sound so in front was a bit off putting to me, especially with the delay on it.

I can feel the peice building into a ...(climax doesnt seem a fitting word) ... 'eruption of warmth n sound', as cheesy as that sounds (stfu, I'm sick and out of it).

All in all, I'd say arrangment is too weak for OCR but given their recent passes, i'd say if you focus on sound quality and realism, this should get on. The major thing holding it back would be the realism of the piano. Nice track, and good luck

Only reason I came in here is cos I had my own mix of this I made a while ago, which I never really released. Heres an old version of this I still had uploaded: http://vmeissner.googlepages.com/ForestFinal4.mp3 Taucer was going to do guitar but apparently forgot about me... :(

Your mix is, honestly, nice. Arrangement isnt outstanding: the bassline pattern is pretty much the same, as is song structure, and the piano alterations are obvious, though personally I liked them. Sound quality wise, I cant say too much because I'm on bad speakers, but the reverb is just touching on a bit much. The balance between instruments isnt bad at all, however i feel the piano could be brought out more. The piano could also be more defined, it sounds a little fuzzyish to me. The guitar having the string slide sound so in front was a bit off putting to me, especially with the delay on it.

I can feel the peice building into a ...(climax doesnt seem a fitting word) ... 'eruption of warmth n sound', as cheesy as that sounds (stfu, I'm sick and out of it).

All in all, I'd say arrangment is too weak for OCR but given their recent passes, i'd say if you focus on sound quality and realism, this should get on. The major thing holding it back would be the realism of the piano. Nice track, and good luck

Aye, listen to him, he knows much in the ways of the force - er I mean the OCremixness or w/e...