Xbox 360

The Damned

We have a PS3 thread, a PSP thread (again), a DS thread, and we're on the third Wii thread.

But no X-Box 360 thread? Our coverage of the current systems is incomplete!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134598

When you download new stuff for your 360 games, you're not really downloading them; you're downloading a key. And it unlocks stuff you've already paid for. And it costs you more money to do so. Yes, the age of micro-transactions is here and people are happily paying out more for what they already own.

It sucks, but there's probably an end-user license agreement somewhere that mentions this, and no one ever bothered to check (who really reads those? I bet you could put just about anything in one, and no one would notice until weeks, or even months later).

On the other hand, with soaring development costs and lower profits, game developers may see this sort of action as the only way to recoup the millions they spent on the games. A company that maintains a healthy profit can survive for years during rough patches between releases.

lol, finally a 360 thread. I'm pretty much just planning on getting a 360 when Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are released (mainly for Blue Dragon :P). Gears of War is pretty awesome, but not enough alone for me to get one. I figure by then, there'll be at least a few more games that I'll wanna buy, like Lost Planet. Speaking of which, anyone happen to know when that's coming out?

We have a PS3 thread, a PSP thread (again), a DS thread, and we're on the third Wii thread.

But no X-Box 360 thread? Our coverage of the current systems is incomplete!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134598

When you download new stuff for your 360 games, you're not really downloading them; you're downloading a key. And it unlocks stuff you've already paid for. And it costs you more money to do so. Yes, the age of micro-transactions is here and people are happily paying out more for what they already own.

It sucks, but there's probably an end-user license agreement somewhere that mentions this, and no one ever bothered to check (who really reads those? I bet you could put just about anything in one, and no one would notice until weeks, or even months later).

On the other hand, with soaring development costs and lower profits, game developers may see this sort of action as the only way to recoup the millions they spent on the games. A company that maintains a healthy profit can survive for years during rough patches between releases.

I thought that was why they charge $60 for games.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3-xbox360-costs-tech-cx_rr_game06_1219expensivegames.html

Also, more than 2million Burger King games sold, haha.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12187

Yeah, that aspect of the microtransactions are rape, not unlike what Nintendo is charging on the Virtual Console, although suckers like me will purchase on the VC anyway.

I need to snag me one when there's a price drop sometime :( .

I like to think there's a distinct difference between paying to unlock features that are already present on the physical disk you've already bought, and paying to download digital content. You're not as likely to get complaints about paying $1 to download a song off of iTunes, but I'd think people wouldn't be too thrilled if there was an extra track on the CD they've already bought, but couldn't access without shelling out an extra dollar.

Also, more than 2million Burger King games sold, haha.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12187

lol

At first I thought this promotion was dumb, but then it occurred to me, that I probably would go buy a value meal at BK and pay the extra $4 for their game, if I only owned an XBox.

I figure by then, there'll be at least a few more games that I'll wanna buy, like Lost Planet. Speaking of which, anyone happen to know when that's coming out?

I think it's January 12th or something like that, it was in one of the video's you can find at Xbox.com anyways.

Yeah I bought my Xbox360 at launch and I'm loving it. I'm already finding games like Dead Rising, Gears of War, and NHL 2007, to completely satisfy me, it's actually kinda funny because in the last month 3 friends of mine have bought an Xbox360, and at least another 3 are seriously considering it.

And I don't get how everything you download for a game, is just a key. What about the Halo Maps?

those where definetly made after the release, and there is supposedly more coming out in the next 6 months (Maybe I just misunderstood you, which definetly could be)

I'm already finding games like Dead Rising, Gears of War, and NHL 2007, to completely satisfy me

NHL 2007 and Gears of War definitely take up way more of my time then I'd like them to. BTW, is Dead or Alive 4 the only fighting game out for the system currently?

I'm totally getting a 360 next year. I'm pretty sure they'll drop the price soon after the holiday season. Either that or they'll pack in a larger hard drive or something like that. I know if I don't wait for the drop, as soon as I buy one the price WILL drop and I'll feel like a newb for waiting so long to get a 360.

Also, I read somewhere that they are beginning to manufacture the CPUs differently in a way that makes them less power consuming (less heat = less fan noise maybe?), and more stable. Sort of waiting for that revision of 360's.

I'm really looking forward to getting Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Lost Planet (January, right?), Forza 2, Too Human, Mass Effect, Guitar Hero 360 maybe, Lumines Live so I can play in 5.1 sound 8) , etc.

NHL 2007 and Gears of War definitely take up way more of my time then I'd like them to. BTW, is Dead or Alive 4 the only fighting game out for the system currently?

The only good one that I can think of.

Oooh. Virtua Fighter 5 now coming to 360 also: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/752/752074p1.html

I think the japanese are realizing they aren't going to make much money keeping things on the PS3 only. The western market is just too big. Here's hoping the rumors that MGS4 is coming to 360 also is true!

Oooh. Virtua Fighter 5 now coming to 360 also: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/752/752074p1.html

I think the japanese are realizing they aren't going to make much money keeping things on the PS3 only. The western market is just too big. Here's hoping the rumors that MGS4 is coming to 360 also is true!

Nope, totally and completely dismissed by both Kojima and Konami.

And Shinji Mikami doesn't have a head. Anything can happen down the road, but I'm still not holding my breath for a 360 MGS4, as much as I'd love it to happen.

If that rumor were to be true, that'd be one less big reason for me to get a PS3 (probably my only major reason I'd foresee wanting a PS3 in the near future).

Like most people are saying already I'm really looking forward to the games coming out for the Xbox360

And I'm actually really happy to see people liking Lost Planet (Snow Pirates = Immediate Win), I thought it would be a bit of a sleeper hit, but I fell in love with the playable demo

Mass Effect looks really cool

Bioshock is made by the System Shock people

Heck Fusion Frenzy 2 is even coming out

Do you have a link?

They could still be saying that they aren't making a PS3 version because they could be under some agreement with Sony not to talk about it.

I read that Kojima was being forced by Konami execs to make the port. It will be hard to make a profit on this multi million dollar game when there won't be that many PS3's out there even a year from now. It's kinda like how Capcom forced a PS2 Resident Evil port.

I wouldn't be surprised if the MGS4 port came 6-12 months later.

Unrelated:

The things that I like about the xbox and the xbox360 are that a lot of the games are actually NEW IPs. Or at least only the second or third in a series. There is the most NEW STUFF on xbox and I'm digging that.