Xbox 360

The Damned

Honestly, I disagree.

I have both a 19" standard television in my room and a 50" plasma HDTV in my basement that I switch my 360 between and I really don't notice much of a difference between the two. Definitely not worth the huge amount of emphasis put on HD in the past year or two.

Like Imagery said, you have to be using Red/Green/Blue component or HDMI cables to get the HD signal. If you're simply using composite on your plasma, it will in fact look worse than your SDTV.

Oh ok I have the LC-32GP1u. We had a big discount at work by ordering through Sharp directly(50% actually), and I've always wanted to get an HDTV so I jumped all over this. It was cool that it just happened to be a "gamers" TV since it has DVI(I use this as a monitor too) and 3 HDMI inputs. It's also the only 32" TV that is 1080p that I know of.

Can't wait to play my 360 on this though.

Oooh, nice. Sharp makes some quality sets.

Though you won't really be able to take advantage of the 1080p at that size (it's mostly noticeable on TVs bigger than 40 inches).

How much did you get it for? I bought mine for $650, but since I got it at CostCo, they added an extra year of warranty for free.

Is 1080p really that slaptastic awesome compared to 720p or 1080i? I'm looking at buying a 32' HD set for this baby, but I don't know if I'll be set with 720 or if I should wait and pony up to 1080p. Another trick would be finding a TV that could do 1080p via component.

Also, Bioshock demo slow download hurr...

And I don't think I've been this excited about a VG system since the SNES.

Is 1080p really that slaptastic awesome compared to 720p or 1080i? I'm looking at buying a 32' HD set for this baby, but I don't know if I'll be set with 720 or if I should wait and pony up to 1080p. Another trick would be finding a TV that could do 1080p via component.

Also, Bioshock demo slow download hurr...

And I don't think I've been this excited about a VG system since the SNES.

Like UE said, 1080p usually doesn't make a difference unless you're working with much larger sets (the smallest TV I've been able to appreciate the subtleties on was a 42"). If you're only look at a 32", 720p will do you just fine.

You can get 1080p through a component cable. It might just look a little bit beter through HDMI since HDMI is a digital input and not an analog input, and thus has no latency.

But yeah, 1080p is mainly for huge TVs of 40 inches and over. I used to have a picture somewhere that showed where 1080p begins to be important. Here's a good graphic to show how it works:

resolution_chart.png

So yeah, what Imagery said. For a 32" set, 720p is all you'll need.

Just to clarify again, I had it hooked up in HD. I'm not retarded.

Seriously, the difference is so minor that I'd firmly call anyone who purchased an HDTV for the picture upgrade a lunatic. If you need a new TV, by all means upgrade; Shelling out $1000 or more for such an... unnoticeable increase in quality doesn't fit in my mind, though.

Just to clarify again, I had it hooked up in HD. I'm not retarded.

Seriously, the difference is so minor that I'd firmly call anyone who purchased an HDTV for the picture upgrade a lunatic. If you need a new TV, by all means upgrade; Shelling out $1000 or more for such an... unnoticeable increase in quality doesn't fit in my mind, though.

I think your eyesight is probably bad then. The crispness is pretty clear with HDTV setups. Unless, you're actually forgetting about the HD-feed nub on the back of the system you're supposed to press in order to get the HD feed on your HDTV. I mistook that once and the quality was horrible. Until I switched it on of course.

I think your eyesight is probably bad then. The crispness is pretty clear with HDTV setups. Unless, you're actually forgetting about the HD-feed nub on the back of the system you're supposed to press in order to get the HD feed on your HDTV. I mistook that once and the quality was horrible. Until I switched it on of course.

Oh yeah, forgot about that thing. Ero, make sure you've switched the little button on the 360 AV cables where it plugs into the system from SD to HD, and then go into the system blade and make sure you're choosing the signal to be output in 720p or 1080p or whatever.

Oh yeah, forgot about that thing. Ero, make sure you've switched the little button on the 360 AV cables where it plugs into the system from SD to HD, and then go into the system blade and make sure you're choosing the signal to be output in 720p or 1080p or whatever.

Yeah i was going to mention that, several of my friends didn't even know about the tiny switch on the component cables. Which i can't really blame them it's kind of odd.

About the warranty refund thing, i must have a fucked up sense of time, but i suppose it has only been 6 weeks, cuz i remember them announcing it around E3.

Apparently Bioshock has gone on sale today (some stores broke street date). Some Toys R Us's i guess, it was reported on kotaku or joystiq (i'm too lazy to look again) but it's up on digg under the gaming section. I'm probably not gonna buy bioshock but it almost made me want to visit TRU.

-sigh-

I'm not stupid. It was outputting in 720p.

Crisper? Yes. $1000+ crisper? Hell no. HD is such a worthless feature to me because image quality isn't something I strive for.

Oh, and my eyesight is 20/25. So, slightly below average, but not terrible. =)

Also, I should never play demos. I tried out Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Shadowrun yesterday and only Bioshock elicited the faintest glimmer of enjoyment from me.

-sigh-

I'm not stupid. It was outputting in 720p.

Crisper? Yes. $1000+ crisper? Hell no. HD is such a worthless feature to me because image quality isn't something I strive for.

Oh, and my eyesight is 20/25. So, slightly below average, but not terrible. =)

Also, I should never play demos. I tried out Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Shadowrun yesterday and only Bioshock elicited the faintest glimmer of enjoyment from me.

The stranglehold demo is pretty cool. I enjoyed the eternal sonata one a lot but i hated the Blue dragon demo. Bioshock plays well but it's just not my cup of tea.

I have to disagree. All those demos were pretty good or flatout amazing like Bioshock's which actually got across the whole game's narrative within the first 15 minutes.

And Eternal Sonata just looks so beautiful. Most tasteful usage of celshading in a videogame I've ever seen. You can barely even tell it's celshaded since it fits in so well.

Also, Katamari demo was good IMO, except it just shows that it's more of the same. Which I have no problem of. To some who strive for originality and newness may be turned off though.

You seem to get stuck on that whole "$1000" idea, but nowadays you can get decent 1080p for a 25-inch screen which is more than good enough for a tabletop or a room, and it won't even cost $500. And that's not even getting into the halving of most HDTVs' prices within the last two years. And the price will definitely get lower still. It's a pretty silly thing to even bring up the issue of cost. Because there isn't.

You seem to get stuck on that whole "$1000" idea, but nowadays you can get decent 1080p for a 25-inch screen which is more than good enough for a tabletop or a room, and it won't even cost $500. And that's not even getting into the halving of most HDTVs' prices within the last two years. And the price will definitely get lower still. It's a pretty silly thing to even bring up the issue of cost. Because there isn't.

well, i will agree with you to a point, but a small one at that, because i think there is a cost issue since to see an actual difference between 1080i vs 1080p (like previously stated) you have to get a significantly larger picture. the point being is to get the perks of 1080p you'll have to get a 50" which is approx $1000 more than a 25".

but is it worth it?

well, we'll be getting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision in 30 years so keep that in mind :P

You can get 1080p through a component cable. It might just look a little bit beter through HDMI since HDMI is a digital input and not an analog input, and thus has no latency.

But yeah, 1080p is mainly for huge TVs of 40 inches and over. I used to have a picture somewhere that showed where 1080p begins to be important. Here's a good graphic to show how it works:

resolution_chart.png

So yeah, what Imagery said. For a 32" set, 720p is all you'll need.

Sweet, so at about 7 feet or so, where I am, my 42" LCD 1080i is about right. Sexy.

e: of course, that's assuming I'm reading that right.

Isn't that the EXACT reason you download demos? :P

Also, Beautiful Katamari is strangely addicting. It's like I know that I'm not gonna be able to break a certain size in the demo 'cause of the time length, but for some reason, I have this urge to try and break it anyway. I never got to play the first Katamari games, so I'm not really that worried about it.

Also, I'm probably gonna grab a $600 32'(or 37' if I can) 720p/1080i LCD some time in the future. I guess something along the lines of 7 feet is good for that one?

well, i will agree with you to a point, but a small one at that, because i think there is a cost issue since to see an actual difference between 1080i vs 1080p (like previously stated) you have to get a significantly larger picture. the point being is to get the perks of 1080p you'll have to get a 50" which is approx $1000 more than a 25".

but is it worth it?

well, we'll be getting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision in 30 years so keep that in mind :P

Well, 1080p isn't the only perk of a 50" TV. The perk there is that it's... well, it's fucking 50" of TV. Some people like their pictures big.

Also, Malaki, I'd say it's a little closer to 8' for the maximum effect but yeah, that's around right.

Personally, I'm finding 720p to be more than enough for my HD needs. And unless you plan on playing games or watching TV on it from another room, it should be satisfactory.

If I could recommend you some brands: I love my Sharp, though they're on the upper end of the price scale. The Sony Bravia is nice, but Sony charges more than anyone else for their TVs against equivalent models. My mom has a 37 inch Olevia, and those are pretty nice, too. They're not as thin as say the Bravias, but they're much cheaper.

You also might consider Samsung and Phillips, too. Theu both make above-average to good quality TVs.

For gaming purposes, you'll want something with a high refresh rate (to eliminate ghosting in fast-moving games), at least 8 m/s, but 6 m/s would be ideal. You'll also want a good contrast ratio (so the picture doesn't look washed out, obvisouly). I wouldn't accept anything less than 2000:1 for a 32" screen size, but try and get something higher if you can (mine is 4000:1). Still, contrast ratio are LCDs' biggest weak area, and this is where plasmas have them handily beat.

Oh, and if you buy from a brick and mortar store, never judge the picture quality based on the signal they have hooked up, because it's usually shit.

just to chime in on the whole HD debate. I bought a samsung 32in LCD screen 720p/1080i widescreen from Brandsmart last december for $999. free financing for 9 months, i have to pay it off this month >_<. It's got 5000:1 constrast ratio (possibly 6000, manual isn't specific to one model so i can't remember atm) It's got "game mode" which makes everything nice and pretty. It works well and i can say that it was more than worth it to me. Ive got my wii/ps2/360 all going through component and my PC in the VGA port. Everything works well though ps2 games that aren't progressive scan tend to look just OK. also since it's widescreen most of the games are stretched (they still look good) but you can play in their orignal aspect ratio if you choose. I've rambled a bit off topic, sorry. so in summary HD>SD

oh and not that it matters, but there are only so many companies that manufacture LCD screens and most of the companies use parts from other manufacturers so you're mostly paying for brand name. I believe Sony manufactures the Samsung screens though i could be mistaken. I've heard great things about Bravia's Sharp Aquous' and samsungs...

oh and not that it matters, but there are only so many companies that manufacture LCD screens and most of the companies use parts from other manufacturers so you're mostly paying for brand name. I believe Sony manufactures the Samsung screens though i could be mistaken. I've heard great things about Bravia's Sharp Aquous' and samsungs...

Actually, it is Samsung that manufactures them...they sort of bailed them out in the TV market with their joint venture.