Xbox 360

The Damned

This sounds like "omg, new game" hype to me.

But I may be wrong.

This might be a stupid question but is this game a JRPG geared toward Americans/non-RPG gamers? The Xbox isn't know for it's JRPG games and my first impression of the game when I saw the art style was that it was made purposely like that for American audiences i.e. non-RPG gamers on the Xbox.I might be wrong, it just might be a new art style.Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid post.:|

This might be a stupid question but is this game a JRPG geared toward Americans/non-RPG gamers? The Xbox isn't know for it's JRPG games and my first impression of the game when I saw the art style was that it was made purposely like that for American audiences i.e. non-RPG gamers on the Xbox.I might be wrong, it just might be a new art style.Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid post.:|

The game was made by Hironubu Sakaguchi's new game studio, Mistwalker. He's the dude responsible for Final Fantasy. Microsoft approached him long ago and basically said "we need a title like dragon quest and one like final fantasy." At least that's my take on it (OMG moneyhats confirmed!) So thus was born Blue Dragon and Lost odyssey. Though I've heard Blue Dragon did way better in japan and that L.O. flopped. Though neither can really be championed consideriong the xbox360's abysmal adoption rate in Japan.

None of that really answered your question but no i don't think it was designed with an american audience in mind.

When Mistwaler/Sakaguchi announced they were developing for the 360, their goal was to do two games: one for the Japanese market and one for the American market. Blue Dragon was for Japan, and Lost Odyssey was for North America. You can even tell in their ad campaigns: Blue Dragon got little advertising in the US, but in japan they advertised it a bunch (and it consequently became japan's best-selling 360 game). It was the opposite for Lost Odyssey, and they even went so far as to animate the mouth movements in LO for the American dub.

That said, Lost Odyssey is not a beginner's RPG by any stretch of the imagination, nor was it targeted at "non-RPG gamers." In fact, it's very challenging; I've already gotten game over on several occasions already.

When Mistwaler/Sakaguchi announced they were developing for the 360, their goal was to do two games: one for the Japanese market and one for the American market. Blue Dragon was for Japan, and Lost Odyssey was for North America. You can even tell in their ad campaigns: Blue Dragon got little advertising in the US, but in japan they advertised it a bunch (and it consequently became japan's best-selling 360 game). It was the opposite for Lost Odyssey, and they even went so far as to animate the mouth movements in LO for the American dub.

That said, Lost Odyssey is not a beginner's RPG by any stretch of the imagination, nor was it targeted at "non-RPG gamers." In fact, it's very challenging; I've already gotten game over on several occasions already.

When I said "geared toward American audiances" I meant the art style and maybe the story.I thought the characters were made so American gamers can associate more with the characters ("omg that guy looks like me and not some weird Japanese thing" kind of thing).I haven't played Blue Dragon and didn't know that is was the same developer so that's for the info.

. Though I've heard Blue Dragon did way better in japan and that L.O. flopped. Though neither can really be championed consideriong the xbox360's abysmal adoption rate in Japan.

Blue Dragon can be championed; the game has sold 200,000 copies in Japan. That's almost 45% of the entire Xbox 360 userbase in the entire country. That's absurd.

Yeah so far it's been pretty mellow. Even the novellas that I've read so far haven't been so bad. I'll even dare to say that one was nice and happy. This could all go downhill I'm sure. I've even been surprised by a few of the gameplay mechanics added into the mix as well. I don't wanna mention 'em, but they're cool nonetheless.

Hurray for Jansen though!

Lots of two's with 360 this year. Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 and Too Human and maybe next year, Mass Effect 2.

But I can't complain since all these games should be worth the money unless Fable developers lies about its potential again.

And I'm about to DL Jelly Car. Looks pretty... funky. Lots of strange games on XBLA nowadays. Which is good.

I really would like to get a 360 sometime, a lot because of Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey. But then again, those games aren't killer apps for me. I bought my PS3 because I wanted to go ahead and purchase one so that I'd have it before Final Fantasy XIII came out. Really, FF XIII sold me a PS3, I wasn't about to pass it up. Then I started picking up other stuff for my PS3, like Oblivion, which I had never played before on 360 or PC. All I can say is, wow. If I had played Oblivion before then, I probably would have picked up a 360 for it, and some other games.

But then again, it seems like, most of the 360 games that I want to play end up being PS3 games sooner or later, or getting a PC release with added content and more impressive graphics around a year later. That, and, really it's true, a lot of the 360 exclusive games are shooters, which I'm not really big on.

Oh yeah, and one reason I'm glad I have a PS3 over a 360, Uncharted. I've beaten pretty much everything in it, but it's really been some of the most fun I've ever had with a video game, everything in it is just so fun, especially when you get to the point in the game where you realize, my god, it's actually feasable to run up and punch these guy's lights out and dodge all these bullets.

Jee. Kinda sounds like I just came in here to take about the PS3 <<; I will say though, I wish the PS3 controller was as comfortable to hold as a 360 controller, it really really really, just forms to your hand. I've never had much experience with it asides from picking one up randomly to mess with it in my friend's room. It just seems like it'd be extremely comfortable for hours and hours of gaming.

Eh...I'll probably grab a PS3 in a year or two when the prices go down and I want a bluray player. I mostly want Uncharted and the Insomniac games, maybe Killzone 2. Japanese RPGs haven't changed in about 7 years so I'm basically done with them.

I'm pretty excited about Too Human. The style and story looks cool, and the gameplay, while it probably won't be as finely tuned as God of War or anything like that, it seems very versatile with the different types of weapons and options available. I like me some action rpgs.

I don't know about the PS3 controller. It's serviceable, but the 360 is as best as it can get ergonomically IMO. I do think the PS3 has the better digital pad though.

As for other games, I think it's a plus that most games comes out in 360 sooner or just released side by side with PS3. And there are a few PC/360 exclusives out there so it's not like all of them will convert to the PS3. I think that'll become more unlikely as Microsoft decides to rein them in instead of letting them loose on their nearest competitor.

I like the PS3 controller more than the 360 one but it's just personal preference.

Lost Odyssey OMG so I'm on disc 3 now (almost 4) about 30 hours in near the Burning Cave. I wasn't expecting it to be this great. It's wonderfully traditional. Storyline is suprisingly fresh in some ways but not in others.

Jelly Car is pretty interesting, though it definitely has that flash game feel, which would probably keep me from actually paying for the game.

Hoping to actually put time into Lost Odyssey this weekend, since all I've been able to do with it was pop it in and watch the opening cinematic so far.

So I love the hell out of Lost Odyssey, and I was wondering if Blue Dragon was worth checking out. I played some of the demo and I thought it was somewhat cool.

Any opinions?

Edit: Although I've been from Tosca all the way to Ghotza and I've only seen about maybe 4 novellas total... I can help but think I'm missing a few.

Also I can't believe I haven't seen the Ninja Gaiden 2 video yet. Hopefully now that it's about to be released, Team Ninja is gonna work on DOA: Code Chronus.

Does anyone else feel like the 360 wireless controller is just extremely heavy compared to the PS3 controller? Then again, I guess it does have a comfortable underside with, is it a rubber layer on it? and it has vibration so I guess it does have those weights to spin. But really, with 2 AA batteries in it, the thing gets heavy after I'm so used to the barely-weighing-anything PS3 controller.