Xbox 360

The Damned

I've been playing games like mad recently. Picked up GOW2, Midnight Club: Los Angeles, and COD: World at War. Been borrowing some oldies from friends and family, like Fight Night Round 3, Viva Pinata, Oblivion, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Biggest surprise for me is Oblivion, I usually can't stand RPGs but I'm effectively addicted to it. After I'm done with it I might be inclined to borrow Fallout 3 from the same friend.

Midnight Club is a blast, if anybody enjoyed MC3 for PS2, you should definitely buy/rent/steal a copy. World at War is basically a COD4 WWII mod. I'm not complaining, especially when it comes time for some multiplayer, and the campaign manages to stay mostly fresh despite the ten gazillionth time a WWII game has been done, but if you're really sick of the time period, you may want to just borrow it. GOW2 is good, and mostly feels like the first one with new levels/enemies/weapons. Multiplayer for some reason tends to take FOREVER to match teams up, I'm not sure if anybody else is having the same problem.

hey dash, you want to play some coop gears? i've been looking for someone to get the coop achievements with. i've got the first act, i need the rest.

edit: to get a cool sig like mine, just look at the gif's properties, copy/paste the location to your sig, and replace my gamertag with yours. figured it out off of jack keiser's sig a few days ago. pretty cool, huh?

also, the arcade bundle is 200 bucks for the holidays...and arcade owners can buy a 20g hard drive and a 3-month live trial for 30 bucks through m$. so, 230 for a console is pretty damn good, all told.

i might also sell mine and buy a modded one from kittykar.

The only bad thing about the Arcades is that they don't play Xbox 1 games. =(

If you have the hard drive, it is.

Or so I was lead to believe.

Ah you are correct. I researched that further and I found out that the emulation data for each individual game is saved onto the hard disk. Previously I thought it was handled elsewhere in the console.

anso, that's awesome =) all these new professional mixers - stevo (level 99) just got a job writing the soundtrack for an XBLA game as well, and i recently got a job doing some stuff for an iphone game. we're all pros here now =)

DAMNIT, you got the iPhone gig? They didn't want me because I wanted to get payed even if the project failed to see release :tomatoface:

yeah, at some point i apparently mentioned that i'd do it for the lulz (exact wording) even if i wasn't going to get paid, and they ran with it =)

i think you win harder, though, that xbla game is awesome-looking. next time i get ms points, that's where some of them are going.

<3 u, keep spreading the word!

Although I'm certainly looking forward to hearing some of your original stuff in a game. VGMdb, here we come!

hey dash, you want to play some coop gears? i've been looking for someone to get the coop achievements with. i've got the first act, i need the rest.

I've been wanting to play through the campaign on insane, and definitely need to do that co-op. My cousin and I started on it, but stopped at like Act 1 Chapter 4. Since I know we planned on doing it at one point let me mention it to him.

First impressions on the new interface people? In my opinion, it certainly LOOKS nicer, but it seems a little more complex. Party mode is definitely nice, and the one button invite feature. I was really hoping for a one button chat/party acceptance capability, like having the option to set it up so if you hit the center button while the invite notification is still on the screen, automatically putting you in the chat/party. It really is key if you're in the middle of a multiplayer match and somebody invites you to chat.

As for the avatars, I could care less. I was tad bit excited since I don't own a Wii and it IS new to me, but the clothing options are weak. I like how there are 50 pages of hair styles but like 2 or 3 of shirts I can wear. Hopefully they'll add more without charging us. One thing that I would really like would be themed outfits, i.e. dressing up your guy in a game character's outfit (I'd love a R6 Vegas one or something).

I also like how the center button now brings up a mini version of the old dashboard, and it actually runs smooth! My biggest complain with the old in-game "dashboard" was how it would run painfully slow sometimes, which got really annoying when you were getting messages and such. Hopefully its performance stays consistent. Another neat feature is the new images/backgrounds for games that you have. Go to your arcade and select your different games. Each time you do it, it essentially 'themes' the interface while you're viewing that game's respective add-ons/achievements/etc.

Oh, and for anyone that has a new theme that's been optimized for the new interface (the people who pre-ordered GOW2 should have a code for one), it's pretty nice how the diorama backgrounds for your friends turn into scenes that relate to the theme.

Anyone who currently doesn't have a Live account: Microsoft offered my wife a free 1 month trial of Gold membership when she signed up for a Silver account. I don't know if everyone will get the same offer, but it's certainly something worth trying if you're interested in trying out the multiplayer (though if you're the main user of a 360, you really should have it already).

The above is true, as I sold my old 20 gig pro to my younger cousin, and just by signing up with silver he managed to score a month of gold free as well. Also, important to note if you or family members are still on the fence that the arcade pack is just simple $199 and Microsoft still has the sale of a 20 gig HDD AND 3 months of Live Gold for $30 bucks more. For 230, you can get some serious gaming started. For the kids, there are plenty of games like Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Piñata, the LEGO games(Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman), Beautiful Katamari, and a host of others. For guys like us? Well, we've got a DELUGE of crap coming out this holiday, which is turning into yet another wallet killer, with games like Left 4 Dead(yes!), Gears of War 2, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnant, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, etc. The Xbox Live arcade already has a flurry of casual games on it like spyglass board games, uno, puzzle games, and MS is starting to push out even more and more casual stuff like Lips(which I bet I could get my mom and step dad to play), more Scene it!, etc.

I know at this point I've just started to sound like a billboard for Microsoft, and I'm not trying to leave out the other 2 systems which have their own strong points(I guess...), but I honestly feel that the Xbox 360 is turning into the next best system since the SNES, an I'm a HUGE PS2 fan.

Happy gaming this holiday season, everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Netflix recently, specifically because of the update, and I gotta say I love being able to stream stuff straight to the 360...works like a charm. If the 360 had a bluray drive, I'd have no conceivable reason to turn on my PS3 again till either getting LittleBigPlanet or playing through MGS4 again :P.

That's good to hear as I'm grabbing Netflix as soon as I get my new credit card when I get home. Have you tried using it in a Live Party yet? And speaking of which, have any of you been getting disconnected randomly and often from any of your parties?

Also, Left 4 Dead is an amazing game. I can't get enough of it. Some friends and I tried going through No Mercy on expert however, and must have tried for about 2 hours to get past that finale. We're SO CLOSE to having it done, but something always goes wrong at some point. For all I know, they're probably still trying. I had to stop after I started feeling mental fatigue. Still an amazing game though, and once we get enough people together at once, we're definitely gonna be doing versus more often. As of late, I don't really like playing it with other people online due to the online douchebag epidemic.

Also, Mega Man 9 and Bionic Commando: Rearmed. Can I get a fuck yeah?