Finally Got FL Studio...

SmSml

I gotta 2nd that. Being able to at least write your own original stuff is gonna help you more than anything. Being able to really get a feel for rewriting a melody, and building different aspects of a song. Learning production is a whole nother part too.

When I first starting using fl studio I found trying to create 30 to 60 second songs was a great way to learn.

Well, I figured that, that's why I only tried the first ten seconds. It's a simple beat as well, and I've been making basic patterns for a little while now.

A year though...is that a realistic time frame? 'Cause I know someone who learned in about 2 weeks and actually made some decent pieces. I'm not expecting 2 weeks by any standards, I'm just throwing that out there as an example

Well, a year, yeah, but thats doing other stuff as well, like making a living. =P

I suppose if you were rather familar with synths, musical theory, composition and whatnot you could probably learn enough about FL to make some good stuff in about 2 weeks. But by the sounds of it, thats not you.

I have to back the others here - it is great that you are eager, but don't rush it too much. Don't burnout, don't force yourself. The most important thing is that you have fun when making the music. You should want to open FL and get down to mixing, kay? If you have to force yourself, its not fun any more.

Gross underestimation by me.

While I do not know musical theory and such, my friend does. I don't see him often though (he moved over the summer) but when he comes over he can help. He's been doing recording since he was like, 6 with his band. Actually, at one point, they were offered to play on national TV

So that'll be a good start if I can see him about it. Real-life help is probably better - he wouldn't know the program, but he'd know the theory part

So from here, should I basically just be trying to make stuff of my own, pretty much just to get familiar with the program?

how do I play more than one pattern at one?

Every minute you spend on posting questions like this is a minute you'll lose in experience and concentration. Don't ask. Fight it. You have a problem - solve it. Even if you take a horribly complicated way of doing it, eventually you'll find something easier.

Do not be afraid of the application, because it sounds almost like you are. Make mistakes. You'll learn more from them than from us posting here.

Every minute you spend on posting questions like this is a minute you'll lose in experience and concentration. Don't ask. Fight it. You have a problem - solve it. Even if you take a horribly complicated way of doing it, eventually you'll find something easier.

Good man.

It's trial and error. You may not even find what you were looking to do initially, but you learn so much along the way.

Oh, I know, don't worry. I have been with other features. I'm just trying to get basic song set up right now, that's all. It's just that I've literally never done anything with music but listen to it, so I'm pretty much trying to get all the windows/general music beats down right now. Actually expermenting with them to make them sound good...well, I haven't posted anything about that, have I? I'm just trying to get the format figured out

I have experiencing struggling with programs...Photoshop mainly, thougt now I'm very applicable with it. First 5 months or so were killer with that program