iPod Repair, omg!

Dark Chocobo

So I've been recently liking my green iPod Mini a lot until the other day, when I apparently overloaded it by pushing two buttons too fast and now it's giving me a sad iPod icon. It must be fixed.

So, here's the question I have: how's Apple's iPod repair service? How much will I have to pay? Is it ultimately worth sending it in, or should I just ditch it and buy a new mp3 player?

Ipods like getting broken. Almost everyone I know that owns one has a problem with it that shouldn't be there. For example: my Ipod nano likes to reject every tenth (or so) song I put on it. That certain song just breaks and won't work until I re-upload it. Even then it may not work.

I don't know what Apple's repair service is like, though. ;/

FYI Ipod's (especially the nano's) have horrible reliability. When I used to work as techy, I'd get at least one broken ipod everyday, not kidding. I can't believe people still overpay for ipods. (Sorry dudes but I am extremely biased towards ipods..aarrgh) If ur gonna get a new one get a sansa, I have never seen one with a problem yet.

But ok onto ur ipod, it'll prob be gone for at least 3 weeks. If the restore doesn't work, then your turn wheel might be broken. Which means it'll need to be sent off to be serviced. Also make sure to update ur ipod, u can find the updates over at apple.

I actually didn't buy this iPod, I got it used from my girlfriend (who got a new one for b-day). I've tried restore, but it won't find it on my computer. I can't revert to disc mode, tried that, so the only option is to send it off to get fixed or just pitch it. I can go back to CDs for a while, but I like it. And how long is the warranty on these?

EDIT: and how do I format it without hooking it up to my computer? Is there a button sequence or something?

First of all, when you connect it to a computer, does the computer recognize it as a drive? If yes...

http://www.ipodwizard.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8274&d=1146429146

Download this mofo, format your iPod with it. FAT32 or NTFS. Once you do that, Restore your iPod. I'll assume you have iTunes 7, because they don't seem to have the Updater separate anymore. It should work. If not...sorry.

Your warranty is most likely still good (assuming you got it within the last month), so I suggest giving them a call about it or going to apple.com and going to the help and support FAQs. But if you don't mind giving it up to them for a couple days (they'll send you a box to ship your iPod back to them), they should either get it fixed for you or give you a new one for free.