Just imagine: The next Next Gen

Airwalker

All multiplayer games will be online. All of them. And if Nintendo isn't doing it for the Wii, they'll modify all the past-gen games on the VC to have multiplayer, too.

The XBox seems to have the brightest future. Microsoft's done an excellent job doing what they're doing, and I couldn't be more impressed with their success.

Actually i could see improvements to be added to the wii. other than ripping it apart and adding new hardware internally, addons can easily be adapted for it. light-gun, that power-glove someone was talking about, hell i was telling my dad that it would be cool to add a vest type item which senses where a player is standing (like the police 911 game in the arcade). imaging boxing where you don't have to sway the wiimote and chuck, but you sway your body. the device is capable of supporting any bluetooth or infared device, so there are plenty of options there.

As for Sony and Microsoft, let them duke it out who's going to rape your wallet the hardest. i doubt we've seen the limits to either of their current machines and like all consoles of the past in about 5 years the best of the best will be on the market for them.

I do agree that games with online multiplayer functionality are practically becoming standard just to sale the game. take the DS, practically all DS games have some form of wireless multiplayer that doesn't require everyone to own the game they are playing. yes it limits the benefits to owning the cartridge, but everyone can still play. its the innovation of nintendo that "anyone/everyone can play" combined with new online "you can play with anyone" and Sony/Microsoft's "this will be the only console you'll ever need" approach that will be combined into the next generation of consoles.

Why are you all posting when the topic asks you to just imagine? :P

Personally, I feel very constricted by 3d games, especially when they use the over-the-shoulder camera view. It's a poor representation of the human field of vision, and it often pulls me out of the experience when I stop and think "that never would have happened / I never would have missed seeing that if I were actually there and could just turn my head instead of being forced to rely on some narrow-angle camera to swing around."

I admire Nintendo's ambition with the Wii, but I think a little innovation in the area of perspective control would pay off a lot more than their innovation in gameplay control. It doesn't matter to me if I'm pressing something with my thumb or swinging my whole arm, if I still have to fumble with camera controls or deal with my character's apparent inability to just turn around goddamn it you're being attacked from behind, I'm going to get irrated and characterize it as poor gameplay.

I know they've tried virtual reality (sort of) and failed gloriously, but isn't it about time they try again? Give me a gyroscoped helmet that lets me actually look around, and not only will I start playing video games again, I'll start playing genres I've never liked (like war simulations) just for the experience.

Constricted by 3D vision? There's plenty of games that get it totally right. You haven't been playing enough games if you actually say that. And over the shoulder mechanic is still improving. Try playing something like GRAW and see how well it works. Possibly even better than the usual FPS vision.

Maybe it's because the 3D games have nigh infinite possibilities and there's just so much room to keep improving upon. With 2D games, the apex has been reached at least a decade ago. Maybe excepting the rare games like Geometry Wars or Cave Story.

"Better graphics" are beginning to hit an apex--where realistic games have enough power to run

Oh, not this BS again. Graphics won't hit any type of "apex" until they can generate something like real world AI, all sorts of fancy graphical effects, zero lag graphical time, zero load times(which is seemingly impossible even with the cartridges), and all that kind of stuff. Games still have very wonky physics engines, horrible face-mapping overall for mimicking real life actors, camera systems that still need work (look at any great Zelda game or Shadow of the Colossus or FFXII or Ninja Gaiden... All excellent games except for the camera which can use more than a few tweaks) and etcetera.

As for true next gen gaming, I can see Microsoft possibly going for the motion-sensor thing as well. But I think it'd be a better idea if they utilize some sort of a force-feedback motion controller like they have been experimenting with for the PC. Like instead of a controller being freely swingable without feedback, you can actually feel the resistance and the restraint the game's world imposes on you. So the motion sensing feels a lot more realistic. And also, I can expect the typical "online all the time" aspect with most if not all consoles. Microsoft is obviously going that path as well. As for Nintendo, I can expect them to improve upon the Wiimote a bit and up the graphical and multimedia aspects again. Sony maybe doing the same thing as Microsoft as MS seems to be the one leading the cutting edge in terms of casual gaming nowadays.

Constricted by 3D vision?

Random impromptu topic I hadn't really thought of before, but still I guess I should rephrase: the constricting factor is trying to represent near 180 degree human field of vision on a 4x3 or even 16x9 TV. As the 3d aspect continually improves, the confining nature of the medium becomes more apparent (and obnoxious) to me. They're constantly making graphics more realistic, more fluid, and prettier, but I feel like they've reached a limit on how "absorbing" they can be.

Of course the games as a whole, like movies, can be infinitely absorbing-- but there's still that detachment since, like movies, you're limited to a pre-defined (though moveable) perspective. I think they could stir up a lot of interest outside the typical gamer fanbase by working on making the experience as a whole more absorbing, and one way to do that might be to revolutionize how we interact with the games not just physically, but visually as well.

Games will never be like real life. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Microsoft modeled their Window's GUI after the office environment (files, folders, etc) but there is no way you would confuse that with a real office. 3D modeling has come a long way and can pretty much make realistic-looking photos of people (not actual people). Magritte illustrates the idea quite nicely:

200px-MagrittePipe.jpg

This is not a pipe.

When they're all available world-wide.

Yeah, that's one good reason.

Even then, the guy at Blockbuster, when explaining the marvelous new credit card requirement clause of game rentals *cough hack wheezzze*, referred to the games as "next gen". I just added an extra next because I assume it takes a few months for the novelty to wear off.