Concert Band

Mr. SATURN

How I understood it, is that they were just going to run through the music in a rehearsal, and not actually perform it.

That would be such a waste.

Anyways, I had at one point in time, the sheet music for the victory end level music for Yoshi's Island. You know, where you jump through the wheel, and the trumpet goes and then the brass comes in and it sounds like something that you would play when your football team scored a touchdown like we did lol whut?

Well see, we have large group competition coming up, so if we convince him through this "holiday" that the music is great, we definately will have some for our spring concert.

This is a catalyst in helping him geek-ify band.

My Tetris, and FF Victory song stands tunes were enough to start it, but no where near enough to win the battle.

Oh lord, abstain from video game music at any sort of competition. Playing anything from a game is probably the stupidest thing you could do.

Reason being:

1)I have always noticed that at any competition *I competed in both symphonic and drumline comps*, video game music is judged so hard because they are a more familiar tune to more people *compared to more classical music*, so people would easily recognize anything hit wrong.

2)The majority of the others there will think you guys are pretty gimmicky, as well as a lot of vulgar words. It just makes you look bad. *this only applies to well known popular game series. I have heard a band play the sinistral battle from lufia two and it was sick, everyone cheered, and only about 3 of the whole entire crowd knew which game it was from*

It is your decision, but be careful about what game you choose. A concert is one thing, but a competition can be tricky to choose a song for.

I pretty much agree with the above poster who says to abstain from the VG music. Mostly because there isn't very much of it that will sound all that great with the standard concert band. You'll probably be missing lots of instruments that would make it sound right. Our band was just basic brass, woodwind, and percussion. We didn't have violin players or cheloes. No strings at all in fact. Mostly cuz I think it would be very difficult to march and play the violin. Not that I've ever tried it...

There is a rather simple, but impressive sounding piece of music that we did that brought on a standing ovation and absolutely destroyed the rival band we were competing with at the time. It's called "Jefferson County Overature". I don't know the composer. It was written for a High School level marching band. It's easy to play, and was very enjoyable for all of us in class, no matter what instrument we played. If you can find it, bring it to your instructors attention. I think you'll like it.