Star Fox (SNES) Game Clear -WIP-

DZComposer

I recently got EWQLSO gold pro XP, and this is the first real thing I have done with it.

I'd say it is about 89% finished. I still need to clean it up a little bit and add some phrase shaping. It needs some EQ love too.

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/gclrsam003.mp3

I need to get a subwoofer for my studio monitors. These things are coming out with a little too much bass....

Changes:

Adjusted the breath emulation intervals on the solos.

Added a couple of parts in a couple of places.

An ending.

Replaced Xylophone with Marimba at 3:10

Changed samples near the end to match the musical style.

What do you guys think?

Listening now. Ahhh, this is nice and nostalgic. Good intro.

1:50 was a bit of a sudden jump, but I love the way you worked that idea into the background at around 2:05 and layered the starfox theme in. This is my favorite section so far.

At the climax if you added in the better samples that would be great. And...argh! I must hear how it ends or at least continues! I can tell you that so far I'm really, really enjoying your arrangement. Excellent harmonies and ideas.

My only main suggestion might be that 1:50 could use a bit of a change, maybe in the instrument that is playing that main descending line.

Anyway, please continue!

EDIT: I ought to add that after listening again I think it might sound a bit "empty" in certain sections, as though it might need more layers to it. You might want to work on that a bit, but it didn't seem to be too serious.

• 2 weeks later...

It has an ending now!

I'd say it is about 89% finished. I still need to clean it up a little bit and add some phrase shaping. It needs some EQ love too.

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/gclrsam003.mp3

I need to get a subwoofer for my studio monitors. These things are coming out with a little too much bass....

Changes:

Adjusted the breath emulation intervals on the solos.

Added a couple of parts in a couple of places.

An ending.

Replaced Xylophone with Marimba at 3:10

Changed samples near the end to match the musical style.

I have very little experience with orchestra packages, but this sounds top notch. Color me impressed. I am wondering if maybe the snare rolls near the end (4:03)could be a little less machine gun-ish and vary a bit more in velocity for a more ultra realistic feel. Also, I don't know if the jump in volume at 4:25 is natural or not, but I thought it was slightly jarring. That's about it. Excellent arrangement!

Interestingly, those snare rolls are sampled rolls (they recorded someone doing a snare roll). I'm too lazy to program my own. Though I never noticed the machine gun effect. Maybe it's because the roll is behind the chord and you only hear certain hits that simulate the MGFX.

I using the EWQLSO Gold Pro XP set with some of the percussion coming from Virtual Drumline 2.

There was a good tutorial by Zircon in the Remixing section, but it looks like it's a broken link now (probably due to forum restructuring). Anyway, I'm not sure that you'd want to put a compressor on your entire song, especially on an orchestral piece. Rather, I'd pick out which instruments are peaking out and put a light compressor on them - strong enough to prevent clipping, but not too strong as to distort the sound too much. Here's my (very) basic (and probably not very accurate) understanding of compressors, I hope this helps:

Threshold: What level you want the compressor to kick in at. For example, setting it at -1dB won't affect your sound until the sound reaches a noise level of -1dB - pretty straightforward.

Ratio: Almost like the intensity that you want the compressor to act on your sound. Example, ratio of 3:1 will only allow 1dB of sound through for every 3dB your sound exceeds the threshold level. The higher the setting, the more compression is taking place.

Attack: The delay in which the compressor will kick in after the threshold is reached.

Release: Similar to attack except on the back end of the sound. (If you can't tell, I'm a little fuzzy on Attack/Release. Someone can probably explain them a lot better)

Gain: Once the sound is compressed, gain will allow you to bring the entire sound (not just what reaches the threshold level) up to whatever it is set to. In a sense, this allows you to turn up the volume of the track while using the other settings to prevent it from clipping.

I hope this helps.