Zelda timeline theories, for your inner geek!

Xbob42

I clicked this because I am tired of all this entirely useless chatter.

If you don't like the useless chatter, don't click the threads. You knew when you read the topic that the thread would be about zelda timeline theories. So don't read it. Solves your problem of being annoyed by useless chatter (because you aren't exposing yourself to it) and solves this thread's problem of people coming in and going "DUDE THIS IS POINTLESS STOP TALKING."

First, it's a thread I am interested in. Not in the same way you are, but that's how you make conversations happen.

So being completely uninterested in all zelda timeline theories makes you interested in a thread about them? Oh of course, it makes perfect sense!

Second, I'm countering an opinion stated by other people. You're allowed to do that now.

In very much the same way that you're allowed to walk into a Nissan dealership and go "WTF ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE DOING HERE? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT NISSAN CARS ARE ALL CRAP AND WHOEVER DESIGNED THEM SHOULD BE RAPED TO DEATH?!"

Third, STFU, 5 post newbie. When you learn how people around here operate, you'll see that telling someone to not post in a thread is like telling fat chicks not to eat chocolate. Lurk some more.

Because we all know that postcount equals IQ, amirite?

Lots of retarded gamefaqs shit about how ganon could take sephiroth any day of the week.

Guy. This "my character is stronger than your character" crap is why the internet community at large thinks of the gamefaqs boards as a gay orgy of retarded.

So being completely uninterested in all zelda timeline theories makes you interested in a thread about them? Oh of course, it makes perfect sense!

The topic is of interest to me, therefore I will post. My interest isn't for it, but against it. That's still an interest.

In very much the same way that you're allowed to walk into a Nissan dealership and go "WTF ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE DOING HERE? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT NISSAN CARS ARE ALL CRAP AND WHOEVER DESIGNED THEM SHOULD BE RAPED TO DEATH?!"

How did you know I did that? Are you following me around? Did the dealership send you the security tape?

Because we all know that postcount equals IQ, amirite?
Apperently not, going by the fact you didn't even read the original post. I said "low postcount = not being here long = not knowing how people act here". Maybe after you learn to read and comprehend what you're quoting, you can come back and try again.
Guy. This "my character is stronger than your character" crap is why the internet community at large thinks of the gamefaqs boards as a gay orgy of retarded.

Now I can't hate you at all. You just had to say the one thing I wanted to, but didn't. You quote me out of context, but you tell the gamefaqer off. I don't know whether to hate you or applaud you.

(Also, I miss the old quoting system, where you could have little quote nexus)

Yeah guy, I know that, it's also the only other thing Gamefaqs is good for, there's a very good capacity for versus debate on some boards, particularly with RPG/Adventure types, as my experience with Sephiroth vs. Ganondorf shows. Sure, it's the game equivalent of IMDb, but don't pidgeonhole the entire board community as beneath you.

I've tried to weed through all the pointless, useless bickering... let's try to stay on topic, shall we?

Anyway, here's my timeline theory. If everyone just adopted this method, you'd enjoy the games a lot more for what they are, and not what they're not. That goes for all games, but trying to put a timeline to the Zelda series is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's pointless and it's a waste of time. Check out my LJ, all will be good.

http://infinitysend.livejournal.com/18760.html

Yeah guy, I know that, it's also the only other thing Gamefaqs is good for, there's a very good capacity for versus debate on some boards, particularly with RPG/Adventure types, as my experience with Sephiroth vs. Ganondorf shows. Sure, it's the game equivalent of IMDb, but don't pidgeonhole the entire board community as beneath you.

You seem to have missed the point. That can't be something Gamefaqs is good for because that is, in no way, shape, or form, good to begin with. No one gives a shit about "versus debate," provided the select population of that statement is limited to people who actually matter.

Stop bickering. Stop complaining about those of us who like to speculate on Zelda timelines. Stop making long posts about Ganon being powerful enough to beat Sephiroth.

Now, back to the topic...

Infinity's End, though I do appreciate your knowledge of the number of unique Links there are, I must correct your one point. Four Swords GBA Link is not the same as Four Swords Adventures Link, very simply because each of those Links is first introduced to the Four Sword at the beginning of their respective games.

I always liked to think that the first two Zeldas took place in like, ancient-ancient hyrule.

I guess it's all open to your personal interpretation. Maybe Nintendo will go through the hell of piecing it all together, but they should of really thought ahead.

I guess having a solid storyline would sacrifice new possibilities for the game play, so maybe that's Nintendo's reason - or maybe they just don't give a shit.

or maybe they just don't give a shit.

I'm starting to think that they just don't give a shit.

With the way that Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker were related, I thought we would start to see a more coherent storyline emerge. However, Twilight Princess proved to be a bit underwhelming for those of us seeking to find a greater continuity. The entire game didn't tell us anything more about The Legend. It was just another "Link kicks the shit out of Ganondorf" tale.

I think I might resign myself to the fact that some games are obviously related... others might not be. It doesn't change how much I enjoy the games.

You know, Final Fantasy doesn't have a timeline. They explicitly stated that none of the games share a common world. Obviously, this excludes the direct sequels, like FFX and FFX-2, and the new FF7 spin-offs.

And yet, I don't hear anyone going on about how Midgard is actually the Ruined World from FF6, but thousands of years later. Or how the underworld in FF4 is actually the underworld in whatever game also had an underworld.

And I'm still waiting for an exact quote from anyone at Nintendo that stated there is an official timeline for Zelda.

I'm starting to think that they just don't give a shit.

With the way that Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (Otherwise known as the heros absense in the Wind Waker) and The Wind Waker were related, I thought we would start to see a more coherent storyline emerge. However, Twilight Princess proved to be a bit underwhelming for those of us seeking to find a greater continuity. The entire game didn't tell us anything more about The Legend. It was just another "Link kicks the shit out of Ganondorf" tale.

I think I might resign myself to the fact that some games are obviously related... others might not be. It doesn't change how much I enjoy the games.

I ,too,hoped for more in TP as regarding this.."branch" of the Zelda story.

And I'm still waiting for an exact quote from anyone at Nintendo that stated there is an official timeline for Zelda.

You're kidding, right? Next time a magazine says it has an interview about Zelda, try opening it. Every interview between 1998 and today with Shigeru Miyamoto or Eiji Aonuma has them reaffirming that there is an over-riding continuity and promising that it will begin to become clearer with each new game.

With the way that Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (Otherwise known as the heros absense in the Wind Waker) and The Wind Waker were related, I thought we would start to see a more coherent storyline emerge.

Wind Waker has been placed after the adult Link ending of OoT.

Q: Where does The Wind Waker fit into the overall Zelda series timeline?

Aonuma: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time. You can tell this from the opening story, and there are references to things from Ocarina located throughout the game as well.

Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?

Aonuma: From the end.

Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a...

Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

Miyamoto: This is pretty confusing for us, too. (laughs) So be careful.

If they're going for a continuity thing, there won't be a game between OoT and WW. As according to WW there wasn't another hero after the Hero of Time left, and thats why the place was flooded. Since they couldn't seal evil with a hero, they resorted to using that flood to do it. Unless for some horrible reason they make a zelda game where you don't play as Link.

If they're going for a continuity thing, there won't be a game between OoT and WW. As according to WW there wasn't another hero after the Hero of Time left, and thats why the place was flooded. Since they couldn't seal evil with a hero, they resorted to using that flood to do it. Unless for some horrible reason they make a zelda game where you don't play as Link.

It would shed some light on their assertion that Twilight Princess will be the last Zelda game as we know the franchise, though.

Four Swords GBA Link is not the same as Four Swords Adventures Link, very simply because each of those Links is first introduced to the Four Sword at the beginning of their respective games.

I agree!

Also, it's obviously a different Samus in Super Metroid than in Metroid 2, because she doesn't start out Super Metroid with all the upgrades she got during Metroid 2.

(Also, a nonsarcastic explanation of my stance):

Game plotlines have to allow some leeway for things done for the benefit of the player. Otherwise you have to say it's a different Link each game, because he starts with 3 hearts instead of 20, and other stuff like that.

There is some redundancy in Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures, but I suspect that it's done for the benefit of players who haven't played the other games. Especially since Minish Cap comes before Four Swords chronologically, but was released after.

And especially in games where people say stuff like "Press L to roll", you have to assume that some of the dialogue is directed towards the player, not the character.

So rather than Link being introduced to the Four Sword at the beginning of both games, the player is. Make sense?

How about a Zelda game where you get to play as Ganondorf? Huh?! Any takers?

You're kidding, right? Next time a magazine says it has an interview about Zelda, try opening it. Every interview between 1998 and today with Shigeru Miyamoto or Eiji Aonuma has them reaffirming that there is an over-riding continuity and promising that it will begin to become clearer with each new game.

Who reads magazines anymore? Most of their stuff is out-of date by the time it reaches stands. Meanwhile, internet sites get the most recent info, and if there's a change, they fix it. Oh, and it's free.

But at least someone finally posted something. But it only connects a few of the games. Where are the rest supposed to fall in? There are too few specifics, and too much vagueness to do it. And then there are future titles. Where are they going to fit in? Just wherever there is enough wiggle room that they cna be crammed in and hope it works?

I think you guys are reading way too much into a video game series.

I agree!

Also, it's obviously a different Samus in Super Metroid than in Metroid 2, because she doesn't start out Super Metroid with all the upgrades she got during Metroid 2.

(Also, a nonsarcastic explanation of my stance):

Game plotlines have to allow some leeway for things done for the benefit of the player. Otherwise you have to say it's a different Link each game, because he starts with 3 hearts instead of 20, and other stuff like that.

There is some redundancy in Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures, but I suspect that it's done for the benefit of players who haven't played the other games. Especially since Minish Cap comes before Four Swords chronologically, but was released after.

And especially in games where people say stuff like "Press L to roll", you have to assume that some of the dialogue is directed towards the player, not the character.

So rather than Link being introduced to the Four Sword at the beginning of both games, the player is. Make sense?

The dialogue is directed towards Link, from Zelda. If it was something that WE needed to know, they would not have had it being said by a character to another character. That's an important point to be made. Also, Aonuma called Four Swords GBA the oldest Zelda story thus far, and Minish Cap must obviously precede it, but FSA can't take place until after OoT, since it includes Ganon.

Also, to The Damned, I'm not saying anything is set in stone or definite. In fact, I was the one who's timeline theory was only based on interviews (from magazines, no less ;] ), in-game text, and credible (read: post-ALttP) game manuals.

What if Link somehow represses the evil temporarily, but fails in sealing it away, and his story is ignored by the legends? I see a very dark game there, with even more emotion than Majora's Mask. To know you only half-completed your duty...

I like the idea of thinking that a character like the Gold Wolf in Twilight Princess was of a past Link who failed as a hero, and now lives on as a spirit to ensure success of future Links. Or not. Whatever.

EDIT: Actually, that sounds bad after hearing myself read it back. It'd need fine tuning, but A Link who fails to fully complete his duties would make an interesting game, but it'd have to come way later in production, so it has a place to fit into the storyline somewhere. Forget the spirit thing, though.

I don't understand why there's a reason to come into this thread to tell everyone that there's no reason to speculate and that it's a waste of time. We know it's a waste of time, and we've got a crapload of time on our hands, and this is how we're wasting it. Why am I not playing a video game right now? Cause I'm wasting my time here instead.

POINT: It's all a waste of time. You win. Some people like to watch a lot of TV and I think that's a waste of time. But I don't go in their house and say, "WTF THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME SO GET OVER IT."

OK, keep speculating. Being a guy that has only played through Link's Awakening and a 1/4 of WW, this is still pretty interesting.

The dialogue is directed towards Link, from Zelda. If it was something that WE needed to know, they would not have had it being said by a character to another character.

In Twilight Princess (GameCube) there is a named character who tells Link (among other things) "To talk to someone from a distance, hold L to target them, and press A."

Aonuma called Four Swords GBA the oldest Zelda story thus far, and Minish Cap must obviously precede it, but FSA can't take place until after OoT, since it includes Ganon.

This, however, is solid evidence of it being a different Link.

So far my attitude towards Zelda games is a lot like my attitude for Hawthorne's writings: There are a few that have completely captivated me and made me strive through all the complication to get to the end, while there are others I just can't seem to get into and enjoy debating their meaning and significance far more than I do reading (or playing, in case of the games) them.