OCR00171 - Chrono Cross "Another Inspiration"

Ginnsu

This mix is absolutely amazing! Im sure you all know that though, since this is page 4 of the reviews, and nary a bad thing has been said about this masterpiece. Honestly, I've had this mix for a few years, and I just thought I would come on here and let everyone else know just how good it is...I mean, if they didnt already know, and its pretty apparent that they do.

Come back Scott...please come back...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree it is a beautiful mix, but there is one glaring error that drove me mad and led me to deleting the song from my computer. In the guitar chord progression, the third arpeggio's bottom note is completly wrong and sounds horrible. The proper progression is Root, down to the 6th, up to the 3rd, and then down to the 7th. this remixer omits the 3rd and instead, hits the 7th for two measures, which obviously clashes with the rest of the notes which he has put in flawlesly. I highly doubt this was intentional, as, to me, it sounds really bad.

I'm stunned that no one has pointed this out before me. Does anyone on this forum actualy listen to the originals?

dont get me wrong, I love the song, and think it would be outstanding if that one small error were corrected. I suggest a re-remix.

That was done intentionally on the arpeggio, and I don't hear how it clashes with the rest of the notes.

Also, there is a re-remix, http://scottpeeples.com/content/view/71/28/

Thanks for the link, Scott. The way you've reworked it is quite interesting, right down to the vocal clips.

Also, I don't know why I haven't commented on this track yet. Shocking, considering it IS the track that single-handedly led me to OCR. Back in 2001, when I was downloading (legally) the Chrono Cross soundtrack from Kazaa, I stumbled upon a retagged version of this track that listed the artist as Scott Peeples and gave no other information. I loved the emotion and beauty of the song, listening to it all the time. Only later in 2002, during an internet search, I found out that the song was from Overclocked Remix, and thus I found this site for the first time.

So, thanks man, for this remix. It means a lot to me.

in the re-remix the low string instrument ( chello, stand up bass, whatever ) has got it right, and it does a lot to help, but the guitar is still true to your original.

I just think it would sound better with the third is all. its dischordant because the 3rd and the 7th are a melodic 4th apart. thats the annoying interval that ambulances sirens sound off on.

So while every other note in the song is playing to harmonize a 3rd root chord, you change the root to the 7th. its hard to tell because the octaves are different, but its like having an ambulance in the middle of your song.

The vocals in the new remix just creeped me out actually when I first heard them. The song itself became less sorrowful and more creepy in general, especially at the end. I'm not actually even sure what the vocals are saying. It sounds like "Got inspiration?", like a 'Got Milk?' commercial... or "God inspiration", which doesn't even make sense to me. I would've been satisfied with the song without them.

I love the original, I used to listen to it all the time. Unfortunately, the problem I had with the original is that once when I was listening I turned my speakers up with my mom in the house thinking she might like to hear it, and I suddenly became very aware of the overly loud 'clap' between the measures that starts up at 1:53 until 3:20, right in the middle of the song. It starts great, it builds up, and suddenly it just pounds in your ears 'crack!', over and over, until it cools down toward the end.

It'll probably still always be one of my favorite songs though, just wish that particular beat wasn't as forceful in the middle. ;)

• 5 months later...

I really apologize for bumping something so old (yet, so fantastic). This remix is off the uncontested best song in Chrono Cross, and while there's several aspects I dislike about the game, it captures a sense of exploration and hope that a lot of Chrono Cross had. It's just beautiful to listen too. Not overly dramatic, not too slow, not too fast. And this song is repetitive, but that doesn't bother me, in fact it strengthens the song to hear such great parts again. It all flows well.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i first heard this mix back in 03 and I am still listening to it now, the guitar is spot on, a very nice way to start out a track, the flute is incredible sounds so real(is it real?), the arrangement is hardcore. my only problem with this track is the drums could use a little more power.

great production (aside from the drums)

good arrangement

very nostalgic =]

9.5 out of 10

great stuff man

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The title of the song says it all for me. I was inspired to get into music because of OC ReMix in the first place, and this piece right here is an awesome example. I thought the original source of this track was beautiful within itself, but this takes it to a whole new level for me. It's a nice relaxing song I can home to listen to after a hard day's work, and just take it easy. Really love what you've done here, Scott. Keep up the good work :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Definitely takes the theme and does a lot with it, it's really stretched out with some good variation, but lacking the main melody for pretty much the entire track, but making it into an ambient background piece with some nice chord swells, and some pleasant beats.

ANd i think that's the best way to describe this; pleasant. It's basically the backing pattern of chords with some noodling on top, which is fine, but not really what i'd be looking for on my own.

• 4 years later...

Wow, this has a gorgeous soundscape gliding all over it and the title is fitting, as it's got an inspirational feel to it. It's one of those mixes that you can chill to, and for something from back in the early OCR years, this is pretty damn good. Nice.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00171 - Chrono Cross "Another Inspiration"
  • 3 years later...