Super Metroid - Statue Room Before Mother Brain

Audity

I made most of this years ago when the Super Metroid project was going underway. I just touched some things up yesterday. Turns out no one has arranged this theme yet, even on the project, unless I overlooked a small section.

My site is currently in process of renewing so I had to make temporarly links.

Yousendit

Rapidshare

It's nothing amazing. I could really add some more stuff, fix up the EQs/whatever, but I don't know what to add. I already have two other mixes I could be working on. At least it's something to throw out into the internet.

This is definitely interesting. Plus, I'm always glad to hear another metroid mix and especially anything related to RotC.

I like the string sounds you have, but I'm not feeling the drums for whatever reason, especially when they're the only things going around :26. I think it needs a solid kick or something to pop in with the strings at around :43. That would really help this. Regardless, I like what I hear near the end. Maybe you could come in with some kind of echoey bells or something layered onto the strings.

Nice start with this, though - if you seriously flesh this out and add more sections I could really get to enjoying it.

You could definitely use more effects to make it interesting at the beginning...maybe some more creative panning or creepier sounding strings or something along those lines. Maybe some sound fx or something atmospheric going on the background could be cool. That kind of stuff is a lot of what makes the original SM tunes (if you can even call them tunes) so interesting even when they're so minimal.

Something really needs to be done with the drums. They just loop and don't really fit with the song. If you are going to keep them I'd suggest mixing them with into everything else by maybe adding some reverb or playing with effects to see how to make it mix in better. I might just try taking them out and going a different route, but it's up to you.

Also putting reverb on the bass like that is a little weird, especially when there's a lot of low-end in the strings already...it kind of muddles the strings and bass together. You might want to try using the bass without reverb and then getting another atmospheric-type synth mixed more on the high end to balance things out.

In general, just keep messing around with things until you find something that sounds right.

• 1 month later...