OCR01546 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "The Delay"

djpretzel

I was waiting for this one! Awesome soundscape, apart from the judge's critiques this is an insanely enjoyable song to listen to. Soundscape is def sweet, especially that sine wav based synth you got going. For the common listener this has tons of lil bleeps and breaks to keep your attention. I def agree with Darkesword, this is def similar to metroid prime OST mainly bc of the calm/chillout mood coupled with some chord structure and progressions that leave you an epic feeling.

I think you did a great job linking both of these together. I didn't notice a change in the melodies at all, only the chords, but I think those fit in perfectly.

I like a lot of what was happening, namely the countermelodies in sliding portamento, and then how they harmonized together.

Good mix lad.

The best thing about Diddy's Kong Quest was it's music. This piece take two of the three best songs in the game and merges them into one remix.

I have to say I'm impressed. I never thought of these two songs as being able to go togther, but you you pulled it off pretty well. I am, however, disappointed that is focused more on "Hot-Head Bop" instead of "Stickerbush Symphony," my favorite song from the game. Other than that, i can't find anything wrong with this song.

9.5/10

The right words aren't coming to my mouth, but I get a sense that this mix meanders a bit. Don't really get a feel for the music going in any particular direction, even for a laid back piece. The music kind of seeps in and then fades out before you really notice it's there.

But I will say that the melding of the 2 melodies was quite impressive. And of course, it's a very chill track, so that's always a plus. Could have been more cohesive in my opinion, but still recommended and a great mix to relax to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I would love to know how the heck nine months managed to go by without me noticing this remix in the DKC2 roster. Regardless, this is really good stuff. I typically automatically love anything DKC, but this remix really sets up an atmosphere and I was really diggin it.

Great job. This one's goin' in the playlist for sure. :)

• 7 months later...

I'm a huge fan of that panned glide synth at the beginning; I think that's such a classy technique overall.

This is a very slowly-evolving piece, but there is a lot going on to keep it interesting at all times, though I think a few sections could have been stepped up a bit. The pads were great, but the acoustic-sampled instruments sounded pretty mechanical. That guitar especially was fakey sounding to me. There was a lot of percussion, but I didn't feel that it drove the song too well. The piano was fake sounding too, but i don't really have as much of an issue with that as I do the guitar. Guitar bias? Who knows. -_-

What the mix does excel on is it's soundscape and layers of textures, and it works very well as a new age piece. The transition between themes was also pretty seamless. Nice work. :-)

• 1 year later...

Everything about this mix has a mystical and full of awe and wonder vibe to it, and I really like how it develops into a smooth jazz feel. I can almost feel the lights dim and a little fog roll out as I listen to this, lol. There are an appreciable large amount of textures here at play making the atmosphere feel weighty and tangible. Definitely a wonderful track to go check out.

• 1 year later...

Combining two of the best themes from DKC2 and sounding this good doing it is an impressive feat. This is a very slick ReMix and I kinda get Metroid and Mass Effect (that one could be just me) vibes from it. Not particularly the kind of chill that I can actually chill to, but it's peaceful and all around awesome. Very mystical and rewarding to hear. And with that, I think I caught up on the DKC ReMixes....until the next one drops.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01546 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "The Delay"