Windows Vista and FL Studio

NeoS

Hey guys,

I noticed there wasn't any topic for FL studio on Windows Vista. So, to gather all the problems and solutions i figured i'd start this topic.

Here's My rant:

I have this mobo with a Realtek HD audio chip. Now, in Windows XP, the only way to work 'normally' in FL studio is with ASIO4ALL. On my other mobo i had an Nvidia Nforce2 chipset which had FAR better driver support and worked way better.

Anyways, let's say I upgraded my system with Vista. (well, actually i did) ASIO4ALL doesn't detect my soundboard anymore and i'm stuck with "primary soundcard driver" option in FL. As all of you FL users know; this sucks.

So, i have 2 options.

1.) Look on the attic for that old Soundblaster 512PCI board which has an EMU10K1 CPU. (Dunno if it's better than my Realtek HD chip, but whatever works, right?)

2.) Buy a better card for approx. $150,- or so.

What do you guys think? I'll try and insert the SB card tonight and post any findings here.

I don't know how much an e-mu 0404 costs in europe but those are like $80 here, and way better than a Soundblaster 512. I really should get one of those myself. My latency would probably improve quite a bit [it is like 15ms right now with an Audigy 2].

Getting a real, decent audio card would also make ASIO4ALL unnecessary. I dunno how you guys get those drivers to work, they don't work as well as my default Audigy 2's sound drivers.

Because i needed to see if everything worked in Vista, since i'm a system admin and we're currently testing Vista and Windows Server 2007. Apparently, it doesn't work with the stuff i use, but the "normal operations" work like a charm.

Back ontopic:

It's true Zircon. When i turn off hardware buffer i can have lower latencies and i have no underruns. And Soc, mij CPU is a P4D 3.2 GHZ Dual Core, so i suppose that shouldn't be the problem...

I think it really IS the soundcard. The E-MU 0404 is about €100,- here. Really sucks to live in europe if you like technology. :(

Anyways, let's say I upgraded my system with Vista. (well, actually i did)

Ahh well there's your problem right there. Vista doesn't allow emulated hardware drivers, which ASIO4All is. (Also, this means stuff like Daemon Tools, Midiox, syncrosoft dongles, and a vast plethora of usefull tools will cease to be functional in vista)