iTunes + iPod = Very annoying

Zeklan

Okay, someone here should know this.

What do I need to get in order for iTunes to play avi files?

I want to put Cowboy Bebop on my iPod but all the files are avi.

So:

What do I need to get in order for iTunes to play avi files?

Or alternatively:

What can I use to change avi files into something iTunes can read?

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Seems like it only support .mp4 and.mov. It's unlikely to support avi because many companies regard it as an outdated format (it came out in 1992).

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave Wikipeida article

You'd have to convert video file formats. VirtualDub might be able to help you do that. I know it opens and saves AVIs, but I just can't remember if it saves to other formats. If so, you're set. I'm at work so I can't download it and see for myself, and I couldn't see a note about file formats on the page, so you'll have to see if it works for you or not. It's an easy-to-use program though, so conversion should be easy.