OCRA-0003 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Hedgehog Heaven

ProjectSpam

Congratulations, but god, you had to include analoq's IMC12 track? BLEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHH

well, to be fair..

THE SONG KICKS ASS!!

Yeah. Just be quiet and play COHNON TRIGGAR again, Zeal.

Congratulations, but god, you had to include analoq's IMC12 track? BLEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHH

well, to be fair..

THE SONG KICKS ASS!!

Yeah. Just be quiet and play COHNON TRIGGAR again, Zeal.

yep, but thats not exactly the imc12 version, its improved a lot.

I can't get enough of oil spill dammit. I've been listening to some of the songs for the entire day, somebody take this drug away from me!

Wow. That's all I can say. Every single remix was nothing short of incredible. This is some fantastic stuff that's great for listening to on the go.

There is one thing I would like to ask though. The mp3s seem to suffer from a fluctuating bitrate, and every time that's been on mp3s for me in the past, it makes them sound...odd when they're burned for my personal use. Am I the only one? Just wondering.

Wow. That's all I can say. Every single remix was nothing short of incredible. This is some fantastic stuff that's great for listening to on the go.

There is one thing I would like to ask though. The mp3s seem to suffer from a fluctuating bitrate, and every time that's been on mp3s for me in the past, it makes them sound...odd when they're burned for my personal use. Am I the only one? Just wondering.

That would be because they are encoded as VBR (variable bitrate). I've never had any problems burning VBR mp3s, but I don't speak for everyone.

Awesome work guys! this project was worth the wait. I am so glad it was finished and not left to die.

Big congratulations to Richter for keeping it alive!

great job! howabout a project for Sonic 3 and Knuckles? :lol:

If there ever is an S3+K project, I'll remix for it. Maybe even multiple tracks. I love some of those songs ^^

Awesome work guys! this project was worth the wait. I am so glad it was finished and not left to die.

Big congratulations to Richter for keeping it alive!

great job! howabout a project for Sonic 3 and Knuckles? :lol:

If there ever is an S3+K project, I'll remix for it. Maybe even multiple tracks. I love some of those songs ^^

Agree, if someone does it, I'm in for sure.

Since I've had so many requests/suggestions for a Sonic 3 & Knuckles project, let me express my stance here...

I will not be running such a project. Don't get me wrong, I had a BLAST managing HH, and may do something similar again at some point in the future. Those two games together have a total of 47 tracks (correct me if I'm wrong). That's QUITE an endeavor, and really not something I'm willing to tackle right now. Rather I'll be spending my time relaxing and improving my mixing skills. Oh and school and work and all that. Heh. ;)

I wish the best of luck to anyone that is thinking about managing a new project. But, at the risk of sounding egotistical and/or patronizing, allow me to give a few suggestions... I've learned a lot in the last year and a half, most of it the hard way. So why not at least take some pointers?

Get out in the community: Know mixers, know LOTS of mixers. Be an active, avid, well-known member of the community. Hell, maybe even be popular (this one really would've helped HH NOT take so long) :P If you're known, your chances of succeeding and getting people to help out are much better.

Line up mixers beforehand: Maybe around 30% of your tracks or so should be lined up before you even post a thread or solidify your plans. This will give you a great place to start and let others know that you're serious and have already taken measures to finish the project.

Have a plan: How long will it take? Are you doing all the tracks? Who's doing site design? Where can we host WIPs? Can we post them in WIP forums? Are collaborations allowed? What if two separate remixers do the same track? Are we blending tracks? What order are they in? Do you intend for this to be an official OCR site project (and does djpretzel approve?)?

LOTS of questions arise. Some need to be answered down the road, but for the most part, this should ALL be taken care of before you launch the idea to the public. Basically, get your shit together ;)

Have the OST available: This is absolutely necessary. Usually people remix tracks because they know it and love it, but sometimes, especially with remix projects, folks may not know the source material at all. Preferably in mp3 format or nsf or something that sounds like the original... MIDI is ok, but it's not always 100% faithful.

Keep a Change Log: You need to know when what happened. When somebody signed up, when they dropped out, when certain milestones were achieved, etc etc. That is one of my biggest regrets about HH is I kept no change log. That would have been SO HELPFUL and interesting to see at the end.

Read the ENTIRE history threads for other projects: Do it, you'll learn a lot.

Be prepared to be there: Projects are a lot of work, but even if all you're going to do is manage, delegate, coordinate, all that stuff, you still must be readily available and consistently present to take care of tasks and issues that arise. Showing up once or twice a week isn't going to cut it. For example, if it takes a year (which realistically, it shouldn't... heh... ) are you going to be there the entire time?

Please keep in mind these are just my opinions/suggestions and that I'm not the best example to go by. This project didn't run smoothly, and many (most) of the problems were my own direct fault. If you'd like more pointers, I'm sure Digital Coma and/or Protricity would be happy (?) to answer questions. Mythril Nazgul is also currently running The Dark Side of Phobos (very cool), and is a super nice guy that I'm sure would offer pointers if asked.

Heh, sorry for the long post.. thanks for reading. I just love projects like this, and want to help out if I can. I wish the best of luck to the next one! On a side note, I would personally recommend waiting for a while before starting the next project. Check this board -- there are several in progress right now. People can't care about everything, there's just not enough time, and a lot of resources are being spent on those projects right now.

Thanks again :D

A big soundtrack doesn't really means a BIG project. There could be only some tracks remixed. Its a tribute after all, and it could be a tribute to the best of S&K.

but anyways, I understand you've had enough of this for now heh, but this kinda things are always fun and keeps me busy (And with pressure to actually FINISH the stuff). And S&K soundtrack is pretty tight stuff too. I think that with the experience you've obtained from the long process, your next project will be much more organized and constant.

A big soundtrack doesn't really means a BIG project. There could be only some tracks remixed. Its a tribute after all, and it could be a tribute to the best of S&K.

but anyways, I understand you've had enough of this for now heh, but this kinda things are always fun and keeps me busy (And with pressure to actually FINISH the stuff). And S&K soundtrack is pretty tight stuff too. I think that with the experience you've obtained from the long process, your next project will be much more organized and constant.

Thanks Nuts :) I've read all of your comments about HH so far and I must say they're intelligent, well thought and I agree with all of them. Kudos to you.

Since I've had so many requests/suggestions for a Sonic 3 & Knuckles project, let me express my stance here...

I will not be running such a project. Don't get me wrong, I had a BLAST managing HH, and may do something similar again at some point in the future. Those two games together have a total of 47 tracks (correct me if I'm wrong). That's QUITE an endeavor, and really not something I'm willing to tackle right now. Rather I'll be spending my time relaxing and improving my mixing skills. Oh and school and work and all that. Heh. ;)

I wish the best of luck to anyone that is thinking about managing a new project. But, at the risk of sounding egotistical and/or patronizing, allow me to give a few suggestions... I've learned a lot in the last year and a half, most of it the hard way. So why not at least take some pointers?

Get out in the community: Know mixers, know LOTS of mixers. Be an active, avid, well-known member of the community. Hell, maybe even be popular (this one really would've helped HH NOT take so long) :P If you're known, your chances of succeeding and getting people to help out are much better.

Line up mixers beforehand: Maybe around 30% of your tracks or so should be lined up before you even post a thread or solidify your plans. This will give you a great place to start and let others know that you're serious and have already taken measures to finish the project.

Have a plan: How long will it take? Are you doing all the tracks? Who's doing site design? Where can we host WIPs? Can we post them in WIP forums? Are collaborations allowed? What if two separate remixers do the same track? Are we blending tracks? What order are they in? Do you intend for this to be an official OCR site project (and does djpretzel approve?)?

LOTS of questions arise. Some need to be answered down the road, but for the most part, this should ALL be taken care of before you launch the idea to the public. Basically, get your shit together ;)

Have the OST available: This is absolutely necessary. Usually people remix tracks because they know it and love it, but sometimes, especially with remix projects, folks may not know the source material at all. Preferably in mp3 format or nsf or something that sounds like the original... MIDI is ok, but it's not always 100% faithful.

Keep a Change Log: You need to know when what happened. When somebody signed up, when they dropped out, when certain milestones were achieved, etc etc. That is one of my biggest regrets about HH is I kept no change log. That would have been SO HELPFUL and interesting to see at the end.

Read the ENTIRE history threads for other projects: Do it, you'll learn a lot.

Be prepared to be there: Projects are a lot of work, but even if all you're going to do is manage, delegate, coordinate, all that stuff, you still must be readily available and consistently present to take care of tasks and issues that arise. Showing up once or twice a week isn't going to cut it. For example, if it takes a year (which realistically, it shouldn't... heh... ) are you going to be there the entire time?

Please keep in mind these are just my opinions/suggestions and that I'm not the best example to go by. This project didn't run smoothly, and many (most) of the problems were my own direct fault. If you'd like more pointers, I'm sure Digital Coma and/or Protricity would be happy (?) to answer questions. Mythril Nazgul is also currently running The Dark Side of Phobos (very cool), and is a super nice guy that I'm sure would offer pointers if asked.

Heh, sorry for the long post.. thanks for reading. I just love projects like this, and want to help out if I can. I wish the best of luck to the next one! On a side note, I would personally recommend waiting for a while before starting the next project. Check this board -- there are several in progress right now. People can't care about everything, there's just not enough time, and a lot of resources are being spent on those projects right now.

Thanks again :D

Someone should sticky this.

I was just thinking that if the S3 + K project were to become a reality it may be easier to have 2 project managers. One for S3 and one for S+K then have them both come together in the end. It would be easier to manage between 2 people (that have a relatively good relationship) rather than all 47 or so under one umbrella (brolly for you English folk).

I'd be a lot more enthusiastic to work on the S3K project over the S2 one. The tracks, to me, are just more memorable.

Also scratch Ice Cap, or have a guy saying "Insert Ice Cap Theme Here" and people can pick their favorite and burn it in with the other tracks.

Currently Listening to - Analoq - Oil Spill

Download status - 9/22

Man, this one doesn't grate on me. Great to see the first project track up on OCR too. Problem is, I now need a colour cartridge so I can print the cover art. If anyone's interested, RotC is losing it's jewel case for this.

Well, having heard them all, I'm still greatly impressed. :D

I love every last track, and my only 'slight' problem is that it's kind of hard for me to recognize the original song in Aquatic Project. But it's a great one anyway, so it is a very slight problem that isn't too much of a bother. :wink:

Great work sticking this through, guys. Especially you, Richter. *salutes*

I'd be up for remixing a track from Sonic 3 & Knuckles (perhaps Hydrocity Zone Act 2, which is my favorite). It'd be great if this project started rollin' in the summer (since I'd have time to actually commit), but that seems too soon. Well, who knows? :)

Anyway, back to what this thread is about, Hedgehog Heaven! Nice job Richter! I'm glad you didn't let this project die. :) The remixers did a great job; this a very fun album to listen to.