h2OCity WIP - Remix of Hydrocity from Sonic 3

DanDyer

Hey Guys,

DanDyer here with my first WIP, of my first remix which is of Hydrocity in Sonic 3.

This is only the first version of it so please post comments that could improve it, as I would like better opinions (rather than friends =P) of what parts I should change and what I shouldn't.

= )

Anyway, Here's the link to listen to it http://media.putfile.com/h2oCity-OCRemix-WIP

And yes! Enjoy!

-DanDyer

Ok, I'll do a play by play because this is a great source tune.

STARTING MIX

AT 0:06

Okay, I can tell you right off the bat that while this is a cool sound to use, you're using it as both your lead and your background, which muddies things up a bit and makes the melody a bit difficult to distinguish.

AT 0:18

Something here with the drums doesn't quite match up, and sort of jumbles this up for a few seconds.

AT 0:21

Nice break away from the drums.

AT 0:34

Okay, at this point I can tell that not only are you using a drumloop and a midi-rip, the two aren't matching up at all with each other. This seems to continue on...I'm at 1:06 now... the tempo of the drums not matching REALLY hurts this.

AT 1:31

The tempo of the drums finally catches up briefly before totally drifting off again.

AT 1:54

Just kind of stops. After you take care of the more serious problems with this mix you'll want to add a good conclusion here, as your echo stop seems to just happen in the middle of the melody.

Okay, here are my suggestions. If this is a serious attempt and particularly if it's intended for OCR you'll want to change it up a bit. Break from the melody, improvise, don't just MIDIrip and add drums. The other problem here is that the drums don't match up at all with your melody. If you're just doing this for your own enjoyment, at least adjust the tempo of those drums to match. Also, why not have two instruments playing different parts of the song or at least different portions instead of just that one? Put some more effort into it, and once you get it sounding good, add an ending on there.