Windows Vista

weggy

Having bought a gaming rig for christmas, I think I'll just wait till the next time I have to update my rig for Vista. Maybe by then we'll have the first big patches out and the support for it will be more concrete than it is now (I don't want to risk with my games and software as of now).

I am extremely excited and hopeful about Live for Windows taking off, though. It sounds like something that should've happened ages ago, but didn't.

New Vista issue:

New Windows Explorer is infinitely better than older Windows Explorer, and does some really fun new stuff with audio files....except only MP3 and WMA files. Obviously there's plenty of programs that add new columns like AudioShell and dbpowerAmp that'll add support to ALL audio formats...

...except none of them work with Vista yet :(. Which wouldn't be a huge problem if I wasn't ripping all of my most-listened-to music in MPC now a days =\.

Well, now I've run into my first possibly DRM related problem in Vista. This time with the new Media Center. I can't watch more than five seconds' worth of AMC before it gives me a Restricted Content message. I don't know if I'm actually blocked from watching the channel or if it's just a glitch, but I'll try to get to the bottom of it. I'll ask Microsoft, my cable company, and AMC itself.

Bit of a noob-ish question:

Whats the difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista?

you mean design/purpose difference or perfomances differences? Windows 64 bit(both xp and vista) are designed for the new 64 bit architecture of the processors, which were previously 32 bit. This transition already happened some time ago when the operative system had to make a step up from 16-bit architecture inherent in ms-dos and previous versions of windows to 32 bit. What's the deal with it? well to put it very simple and generalized, the 64 bit architecture in processors allow for more complex operations handled in fewer packs of information, which results in a faster perfomance overall.

Regarding performance, as of now, there isn't much of a difference because most software is written in 32 bit so it can't really benefit from the 64 bit processors and operative system. That applies to hardware drivers as well, which may or may not work in 64 bit version of windows.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

One's for 32 bit processors and one's for 64 bit I imagine?

ROFLTASTICS.

Actually, there are more differences than that. 64-bit Vista won't accept unsigned drivers, and can't utilize 32-bit drivers, so unless your video/audio/whatever device manufacturer has 64-bit drivers that are signed, you're SOL. The other major difference is that apparently the 32-bit edition supports a form of folder redirection that allows certain applications to function properly, whereas 64-bit Vista does not.

I recently had this decision to make and went with the 32-bit edition. For now. If MS ever really wants people to move to 64-bit, they have to offer an upgrade path from 32 to 64 - currently you can only upgrade from 64-bit XP to 64-bit Vista, anything else is both an additional license and a clean install.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1426/vista_64_bit_or_32_bit_version_x64_vs_x86

Actually, there are more differences than that. 64-bit Vista won't accept unsigned drivers, and can't utilize 32-bit drivers, so unless your video/audio/whatever device manufacturer has 64-bit drivers that are signed, you're SOL. The other major difference is that apparently the 32-bit edition supports a form of folder redirection that allows certain applications to function properly, whereas 64-bit Vista does not.

I recently had this decision to make and went with the 32-bit edition. For now. If MS ever really wants people to move to 64-bit, they have to offer an upgrade path from 32 to 64 - currently you can only upgrade from 64-bit XP to 64-bit Vista, anything else is both an additional license and a clean install.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1426/vista_64_bit_or_32_bit_version_x64_vs_x86

Thanks for the info Sir nuts and Pretzel.